Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

slave1 wrote: »
    Bit whippy I thought...

It's definitely a short backswing but still good speed from then on.

Is it all a bit of a coincidence that he is building up the hype before his own Hero Challenge at the end of next month? I think we might see a comeback at his own event... give himself a special exemption invite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Saying that he's still not sure whether he'll ever be competing again and making a few smooth swings on twitcam is hardly building up the hype IMO. I can not see him teeing off this year. If - big massive IF - he is ever going to play competitive golf again I'd say it will be in the run up to next years Masters. No sooner that that.

Saying that he's still not sure whether he'll ever be competing again and making a few smooth swings on twitcam is hardly building up the hype IMO. I can not see him teeing off this year. If - big massive IF - he is ever going to play competitive golf again I'd say it will be in the run up to next years Masters. No sooner that that.

Of course it's building up hype! Look at the rounds it is doing on social media. Hype for his commercial interests too.

Just a hunch.. but I think he will hack it around his at his own tournament at the end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

HighLine wrote: »
    It's definitely a short backswing but still good speed from then on.

Is it all a bit of a coincidence that he is building up the hype before his own Hero Challenge at the end of next month? I think we might see a comeback at his own event... give himself a special exemption invite :D

Announce comeback in a few weeks and withdraw a few days before would be my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

$$$$$$$$ from suckers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

Two words that dismiss the question of whether Woods would dominate as well in today's Tour.

Tiger Proofing

I don't hear of courses or committee's 'Spieth Proofing' or 'Johnson Proofing' simply because there is no need to.
    Tiger's dominance at the turn of the century made sure they didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

valoren wrote: »
    Two words that dismiss the question of whether Woods would dominate as well in today's Tour.

Tiger Proofing

I don't hear of courses or committee's 'Spieth Proofing' or 'Johnson Proofing' simply because there is no need to.
    Tiger's dominance at the turn of the century made sure they didn't have to.

With respect it does no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Looked like a colossal snap hook

Rikand wrote: »
    Looked like a colossal snap hook

That's a great sign, means he is 100% back to normal for a 1st tee :D

He's hardly going to post a video of a snaphook now in fairness. Fairway looked like a right to left dogleg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

• Advertisement

Milkers wrote: »
    Sad watching that compared to this:

https://youtu.be/v8ORRvlV7W8?t=12

But to be fair these are the first gingerly taken baby steps after - and surely not over yet - the mother of all back problem histories. But yes thats an awesome looking swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Don't think I ever seen this -

Incredible stuff and - he seems so comfortable and happy at this stage in his life

And there was me thinking a bunker shot was next on the list, how could I have overlooked the stinger! Announcement within 7 days I imagine.

As predicted, Tiger will be back playing at his own event in a month's time.

http://news.tigerwoods.com/hwc-tiger-woods-to-play-in-2017-hero-world-challenge/

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭jokser250

As predicted, Tiger will be back playing at his own event in a month's time.

http://news.tigerwoods.com/hwc-tiger-woods-to-play-in-2017-hero-world-challenge/

Great news , hopefully he’s fit and healthy to play consistently this time .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

jokser250 wrote: »
    Great news , hopefully he’s fit and healthy to play consistently this time .

Hopefully he doesnt withdraw 2 days before citing match fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

Rikand wrote:
    Hopefully he doesnt withdraw 2 days before citing match fitness

Hopefully he does.

I'm predicting a top 20 result anyway.

I've seen less choreographed routines on Strictly Come Dancing... and I don't even watch that (honest)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Big difference between hitting balls on a range and playing four competitive games in a row. I'd love to see him back but don't think his body is ready or ever will be. Age isn't on his side.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Whoo hoo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

If I wanted to see a tired old 40 something with a botched up back playing bad golf I'll put my name down myself thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

slave1 wrote: »
    Whoo hoo

whoo hoo what? this is his nth comeback. You guys want the old tiger back. Hes gone forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

whoo hoo what? this is his nth comeback. You guys want the old tiger back. Hes gone forever.

What's wrong with a little hope? All we can do is hope. I for one am delighted he's back even if he turns out to only be a bit player for the next few years I'd be happy. Plenty of the greats have mounted some challenges in years gone by and I for one would love to see Tiger back in the hunt on a major Sunday. You can say he will/won't but only time will tell. Here's to hoping.

I haven't given up hope yet to see Tiger playing proper golf again. I don't think he will ever play a full schedule again or be any way near his former best. But I haven't given up hope that he can be a competitive golfer again. On a reduced schedule playing smart golf. Something like Stricker or a younger Watson, Jimenez or Langer. I wouldn't rule that out yet. He's Tiger Woods after all. If that happens he can still win a major, I'm convinced of that.

But at this point I'm more anxious than anything else. Last time when he was walking gingerly around the fairways I felt more sorry for him than anything else. If he's truly pain free now you never know.

Good (long) interview with Tiger here

Faxon: Tiger drove past DJ 'half the time'

Count Brad Faxon among the players impressed by Tiger Woods' recovery from his latest back surgery.

Faxon penned a column for Golfweek.com and detailed his round Friday with President Donald Trump, world No. 1 Dustin Johnson and Woods at Trump's club in Jupiter, Fla.

Faxon, who is a member at Trump's club, said he teamed up with the president against DJ and Woods and their matched ended all square after Faxon missed a 9-foot birdie putt on the 18th.

"They played from the back tees at 7,600 yards and we played up to the blue tees at about 6,500 yards," Faxon said. "The President was gracious and entertaining. He told some stories, things he loves about the job and things he doesn’t love. I think he was excited to be in that group and we had a lot of fun."

Faxon echoed what Rickie Fowler reported earlier this month - Woods is not only hitting the ball well, but he has power back, too.

"Tiger looked great to me," Faxon said. "He was happy and, more than anything, he’s finally pain-free. The issues he had with the back the last couple of comebacks seem to be gone. He looked effortless, he looked free, he had some power.

"I was impressed with how far he hit the ball. Probably on the 10 holes that they were both hitting driver, Tiger hit it past Dustin half the time and Dustin hit it past Tiger half the time. He looked great. I think more than anything, he looked at ease. He was not concerned about swinging hard and going at it with driver. The ball flight, the sound off the club, all of it was right there."

Faxon also tempered his comments by reminding everyone that there is a big difference from a casual round and a tournament round. However, the important thing is Woods is happy and can "work without being hurt."

Woods will make his return to competition next week at the Hero World Challenge.

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/faxon-tiger-drove-past-dj-half-time/?cid=facebook-gc-a-faxon-tiger-drove-past-dj-half-time-112517

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Dj using a 5 iron though

• Advertisement

Three more sleeps. ;)

Advertisement