Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭rooney30

Massive hard on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

rooney30 wrote: »
    Massive hard on

So does Brad Faxon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Is there a cut this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Paired with Justin Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭bren2001

ForeRight wrote: »
    Is there a cut this week?

No cut at the this. Guaranteed 4 rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"I was shocked how fluid his swing looked and how far the golf ball was going," Patrick Reed told GolfChannel.com after playing a practice round with Woods on Monday. "He’s always been a little longer than me, but some of those drives today he got out there.”

Brad Faxon wrote on Golfweek.com that Woods outdrove Dustin Johnson during their recent round with President Trump. Rickie Fowler told Golf.com that Woods was hitting it “way by” him.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

We've heard all this stuff before.

Some of the stuff around how good Tiger has been in practice is bordering on the propaganda about Kim Jong Un's golf game and his 8 holes in one a day.

Distance hasn't really been an issue for him. It's his short game and putting where he's suffered most recently. Not only that, people are curious if he can stay injury free with a tour player itinerary.

Let's see how his tournament game looks, a proper one, not this quasi exhibition.

ligerdub wrote: »

Some of the stuff around how good Tiger has been in practice is bordering on the propaganda about Kim Jong Un's golf game and his 8 holes in one a day.

Distance hasn't really been an issue for him. It's his short game and putting where he's suffered most recently. Not only that, people are curious if he can stay injury free with a tour player itinerary.

Let's see how his tournament game looks, a proper one, not this quasi exhibition.

If he plays well here, its almost irrelevant. The question over him at the moment is not can he compete, is it can he play week in week out. All of his comebacks have failed ultimately due to his body breaking down in quite a short period of time.

I don't hold out much hope but I will tune in. Surely this is his last attempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

ligerdub wrote: »

Oct 2016 'He's like the Tiger Woods of 15 years ago', says Jesper Parnevik

He posted some nice swings on instagram etc but i saw a few drives from his practice round yesterday and he was slashing at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think the majority want to see him come back and be the tiger he was.

Its probably never going to happen and perhaps he cannot sustain the schedule of a tour player but if he can select his events and manage his schedule, it would be pure TV drama to see Tiger contesting in the back 9 on major sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Woods is great when on the range or practice round. It’s when he tees it up the swing gets longer and faster. Resort course so wouldn’t take much from scoring.

I hate this tournament from work rankings. It’s like 18 guys on a junket boosting their ranking

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Best of luck to him.

p.s. Did they repair his busted up Merc and Cadillac?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

bren2001 wrote: »
    No cut at the this. Guaranteed 4 rounds.

Tiger doesn't do 4 rounds when he is not playing well. Triple Bogey.......... Oh Me Back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Seems to be back a bit too soon after his operation. He was barely able to swing a month ago and now he's back for a tournament?

I also struggle to believe him when he says he is in full health. He said all of this a year ago and then tells us he was in so much pain he couldn't sleep. I wouldn't be surprised if we're having the same conversations next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I agree with you that I’ve heard all that before and I’m not going to fall for it. Again.

But I don’t think we’ll be having the same conversation next year. I think this is it. One way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Real encouraging signs in the Hero World Challenge pro-am today for Tiger. Woods shot a sub 70 round and hit 12 out of 13 fairways according to twitter. He also said post-round that he feels great. I admit there was a time that I did not like Tiger over a variety of issues. But now I feel Tiger is more sincere especially in his dealings with the media and I think that all what has happened to him since 2009 has made him a much humble person and with more humility. Certainly the signs look much promising now.

My prediction for Tiger this week is to break par on all 4 days and perhaps shoot 4 rounds sub 70 (par is 72). There are also 5 par fives in Albany which are reachable in two under normal conditions. Really looking forward to 5 past 5 tomorrow evening (Irish time) when Tiger tees off along with Justin Thomas. An interesting week awaits.

Watching the last couple of comebacks I'm still scarred. I'm not going to get my hopes up. He says it himself he feels great right now but is in unchartered territory in terms of what the back will feel like long term and what he can do with it and will it hold. He doesn't sound like he's going to ease up a bit.
    I will have to see him playing normal golf for quite a while before I can stop thinking over every grimace of his 'ah now, he's gone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Delighted for him

But it seems very soon - considering the story was he was on so many drugs for pain.

It seems a bit strange the whole thing.

Maybe he wasnt actually in pain anymore at this point, just hooked on the painkillers.

Maybe he wasnt actually in pain anymore at this point, just hooked on the painkillers.

Just so many maybes.

I'm not sure I want to see him go out breaking down again.

• Advertisement

Real encouraging signs in the Hero World Challenge pro-am today for Tiger. Woods shot a sub 70 round and hit 12 out of 13 fairways according to twitter. He also said post-round that he feels great. I admit there was a time that I did not like Tiger over a variety of issues. But now I feel Tiger is more sincere especially in his dealings with the media and I think that all what has happened to him since 2009 has made him a much humble person and with more humility. Certainly the signs look much promising now.

My prediction for Tiger this week is to break par on all 4 days and perhaps shoot 4 rounds sub 70 (par is 72). There are also 5 par fives in Albany which are reachable in two under normal conditions. Really looking forward to 5 past 5 tomorrow evening (Irish time) when Tiger tees off along with Justin Thomas. An interesting week awaits.

Can't see how this is realistic

4 days under par.

id be impressed with 1.

Can't see how this is realistic

4 days under par.

id be impressed with 1.

Its a pretty easy course with pretty favorable conditions. Finished 4 under last year. I can see him hitting 2 maybe 3 rounds under par but the real tests will come in the new year. How will he hold up when its a little bit colder, wetter and physically more demanding?

Even if his body can take the abuse, can he overcome his chipping problems etc. to be in any way competitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If Thomas or whoever he’s playing with over the days are bombing it will his ego kick in and start to match them and starts to spray it.

It’s all well and good swinging within himself practicing but in competition and Thomas is 30-40 yards ahead will be a challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    If Thomas or whoever he’s playing with over the days are bombing it will his ego kick in and start to match them and starts to spray it.

It’s all well and good swinging within himself practicing but in competition and Thomas is 30-40 yards ahead will be a challenge

That's not going to happen. He will be up there with Thomas. His driving apparently has been very good. Where he will struggle will be distance control with irons and short game.... just rustiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

HighLine wrote: »
    That's not going to happen. He will be up there with Thomas. His driving apparently has been very good. Where he will struggle will be distance control with irons and short game.... just rustiness.

Tigers Woods driving hasn't been good since the large driver came out.
    Which makes his record since them even more remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

Anyone know what time he tees off at?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

. Really looking forward to 5 past 5 tomorrow evening (Irish time) when Tiger tees off along with Justin Thomas. An interesting week awaits.

:)

redarmy wrote: »
    Anyone know what time he tees off at?

17:05 I believe

And it begins, just missed bunker and great bounce to edge of fairway

• Advertisement

and his approach to birdie putt length

Advertisement