Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Question on how he gets into real tournaments, not this end of Season jolly.

He's currently ranked 1299 in the world according to Sky yesterday.
    Does he get in on Sponsors invites or are there any tournements where he'd be excluded ???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

benny79 wrote: »
    He can only play the course that hes on! Taught he was very impressive -3 for first competitive round in over a year come on lads! yes there was rust but still! and I'm not his biggest fan.. .. Most impressed with his power of the tee/driving. Im playing years till no where near it.. :D:(

Well under a year - 300 days infact.

He's done loads of practice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

He'll always have a chance at another Masters. Guys who played Augusta well usually continue to do so.

Danny Willet ain't gonna win there again.
    Trevor Immelmann says hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

He's currently ranked 1299 in the world according to Sky yesterday.
    Does he get in on Sponsors invites or are there any tournements where he'd be excluded ???

Any tournament he's in becomes more interesting to everyone by x%. I'm sure he'll get invites, hell if he hopped over the wall and just started playing who'd stop him?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

He's currently ranked 1299 in the world according to Sky yesterday. Does he get in on Sponsors invites or are there any tournements where he'd be excluded ???

He has a lifetime exemption on the pga tour because of the amount of career wins he has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

Danny Willet ain't gonna win there again.
    Trevor Immelmann says hi.

How many examples of usually do u want? Don't watch much golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

People will always begrudge Tiger no matter he does. Easiest just to ignore them.

How many examples of usually do u want? Don't watch much golf?

His chances of winning again at Augusta are the exact same as everyone else's.
    But seeing as this is the blinkered I heart TW thread I'll play along.

He's gonna win 5 more Majors, and anyone who disagrees with me knows nothing about nor even watches golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

If Tiger gets fit and stays fit he has as good a chance as most others in my opinion Tigers quality shouldnt be questioned but I'd say chances of him staying fit enough to get his level back consistently are slim.

Hopefully I'm wrong tho because I really hearth Tiger when he is on form he brings so much to the sport good and bad bit makes it more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

He's currently ranked 1299 in the world according to Sky yesterday. Does he get in on Sponsors invites or are there any tournements where he'd be excluded ???

He need not worry about playing on regular tour events but he won't get into the WGC events unless he breaks into the top 50 again.

He is exempt from the Open, the PGA and the Masters but I understand the US open exemption is due to expire so he will need to get there on same merit as the rest either in '18 or '19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

His chances of winning again at Augusta are the exact same as everyone else's.

Ehhhhm golf isn't actually a roulette wheel. Now I think you actually know nothing about golf.

By the way I don't particularly like Tiger. I expect his chipping woes and driver OOB's to resurface. However he knows how to get around Augusta and if he putts well and get lucky he has a chance. A better chance than Sandy Lyle btw if you want an example.

Ehhhhm golf isn't actually a roulette wheel. Now I think you actually know nothing about golf.

By the way I don't particularly like Tiger. I expect his chipping woes and driver OOB's to resurface. However he knows how to get around Augusta and if he putts well and get lucky he has a chance. A better chance than Sandy Lyle btw if you want an example.

Christ. Sandy Lyle? You're having a laugh.

You're the one said Tiger has another chance at a Masters because he has played well there before. That's fine if you ignore all that has happened the last 3 years.
    Truth is he has more chance of becoming the next pope than win another Major.
    He's 40 odd now with fusion surgery done and a severe drought in form for a player of his calibre. This coupled with his seemingly troubled personal life as well as a far superior competitive field to ten,fifteen years ago can only mean his 14 major haul is his limit. No mean feat, not saying that.
    He's burnt out, and needs to retire before he becomes a pitiful has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

jayo26 wrote: »
    If Tiger gets fit and stays fit he has as good a chance as most others in my opinion Tigers quality shouldnt be questioned but I'd say chances of him staying fit enough to get his level back consistently are slim.

Hopefully I'm wrong tho because I really hearth Tiger when he is on form he brings so much to the sport good and bad bit makes it more interesting.

He really does have a chance if he stays healthy. He is apparently out driving DJ. So he still has the distance. And his putting looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

He is chipping like me though which is a worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

backspin. wrote: »

It is... but every other element of his game is looking very good. The driving is the most shocking thing... in his hayday, he was terrible with the driver. Not so now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

backspin. wrote: »

Didn't he always have issues with chipping for the majority if his career but his putting saved him majority if the time or do I have it wrong way around.

I know he could pull off remarkable shots but I wouldn't of said chipping was his strongest part if his game his irons and putting did the most damage..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great to see Tiger in any way well. I'm very surprised.

I don't agree with all the talk that he looks great.

He is sweating very heavily after 6 holes and doesn't ever look right walking.

Swing speed seems crazy for a guy back from back injury.

Fingers - toes - everything crossed this is not a false dawn. It is a silly easy course.

Sorry for being a bit too real/negative. Sort of a self protection mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Fix to be fair I don't think he's sweating from exertion it's just the heat.
    He has always been very sweaty from what I remember.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Fix to be fair I don't think he's sweating from exertion it's just the heat.
    He has always been very sweaty from what I remember.

Yes obviously considered that - but rest of guys look like they are as cool as can be.

I'm just not use to Tiger around at all , like Christmas or something here.

These events are just rubbish, and with him in it, it reminds you what it was like to have him around.

Fairly cool to see Tiger with same style of putter / stroke and pace of ball on putts.

No Fat grip
    Aim point
    days of routine.

BANG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

backspin. wrote:
    He really does have a chance if he stays healthy. He is apparently out driving DJ. So he still has the distance. And his putting looks good.

I would be astonished if Woods has greater average driving distance than DJ for the tour in 2018. I'd be pretty much amazed if he has a high average driving distance this week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

Nice to see him at -3 through 8 today, and tied for third. It’s a small field, though still containing the top players in the world...and he’s contending.

If he’s really fit and avoids injury, he will win more majors.

Some shot right there. 10ft eagle putt coming up.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/936663219971616768

Sinks it for eagle!

HighLine wrote: »
    Sinks it for eagle!

That was real Tiger :eek:

31 out not playing perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Doubters and knockers, it just doesnt matter what you say, what way you look at it, or even what happens from here on it - there is a whole lot of awesome going on out there. There are a lot of great golfers out there these days. But its nice to be reminded even if its only a glimpse of the past, of what truly different league looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

31 out not playing perfect.

And sweating like a priest in a Barney suit. Just imagine what he could be capable of.

Doubters and knockers, it just doesnt matter what you say, what way you look at it, or even what happens from here on it - there is a whole lot of awesome going on out there. There are a lot of great golfers out there these days. But its nice to be reminded even if its only a glimpse of the past, of what truly different league looks like.

Is true -

When Rory is on he creates a bit of magic.

But the rest are amazing golfers , but just don't create any heart racing moments.

And then other top lads like Tommy Fleetwood - good golfers , but more excitement in watching Stoke versus Swansea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

If he's playjng injury free now apart from stiffness which he says he does get and can play 2 or 3 weeks in a row with all the practice needed and then can take a week or 2 off and come back for another 2 or 3 weeks he'll be a force again. His putting is still on song. Can still stitch it to a pin from 100y out (where Rory struggles from). And he has the hunger again.

Advertisement