Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Have the called in the rest of the players still out there ?

The ones in with a chance of actually winning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

fullstop wrote: »
    The ones in with a chance of actually winning?

Yep. No one is interested in who wins. There is only one headline coming out of this weekends golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yep. No one is interested in who wins. There is only one headline coming out of this weekends golf.

Actually I've seen plenty about Rickie's round this evening, but whatever you say TROL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ligerdub wrote: »
    Some of the stuff around how good Tiger has been in practice is bordering on the propaganda about Kim Jong Un's golf game and his 8 holes in one a day.

Just a point of information on this one, a round that always seem to get exaggerated in the retelling. First it was Kim Jong-Il who had that great round, and the truth is that he didnt have 8 holes in one. He only had 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Considering he's apparently only played four tournaments in 27 months it's insane how well he played.

However I'm terrified he'll reinjure himself with that swing speed.

Would love to see him win again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

NDWC wrote: »
    Considering he's apparently only played four tournaments in 27 months it's insane how well he played.

However I'm terrified he'll reinjure himself with that swing speed.

Would love to see him win again

I'd imagine he's happy with how he played. I'd also be sure he'd have been happy his back would physically stand the strain of a tournament week, but the question really was whether he was 'match fit' or not - he seems to have answered that.

He didn't make a show of himself and had a respectable finish - which is just what he needs, imo, and it might even make players nervous - a TW physically robust enough to play and now growing in confidence will have a few people looking over their shoulders.

It'll be interesting to see what schedule he sets himself - it's a fair bet he won't be playing week in week out, and will structure his season around the Majors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ForeRight wrote: »
    Tiger and Padraig paired together for the final round of the masters in April.

You've heard it here first.

*cue reeling in the years music

There's only one round in the par 3 competition.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Great to see him back, made the competition apart from Ricky's front nine yesterday IMHO

bren2001 wrote: »
    His biggest sin was having multiple affairs on his wife.

None of it was blown out of proportion but none of it was as serious as the incidents being now. What Tiger did was wrong, what these people are doing is illegal.

Saying that, I frankly couldn't give a hoot what Tiger does off the course. I like to watch him play golf.

Plus, the Yanks love a good comeback story!!!

If he wins the Masters next year look for Wil Smith to play Earl and Jaden to play Tiger in the movie that will be out in the week of the 2022 Masters :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

bren2001 wrote: »
    His biggest sin was having multiple affairs on his wife.

None of it was blown out of proportion but none of it was as serious as the incidents being now. What Tiger did was wrong, what these people are doing is illegal.

Saying that, I frankly couldn't give a hoot what Tiger does off the course. I like to watch him play golf.

I mean if he wasn't so famous, nothing would have been made of it. It happens all the time in the real world. I fully agree that what he did was wrong, but I still think the media reacted as if he'd done something far worse. It was like he'd murdered or raped someone. Like you say, it was wrong, not illegal like what is going on now.

And I fully agree with you in not caring what he does off the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Moved up to 668th in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Woods is a woods, you either like or dislike him. I'm the latter. As good as his comeback was, he played 72 holes, that's all. I would be concerned that his back will not last with his swing speeds where they are. He needs to adjust his game to suit his body and not keep trying to repair the damage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads, will ye please have a think before posting. Some of the posts here deserve a ban for what's said. Am only getting to look at the thread as i was away for a weekend but some of the posts are scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Lads, will ye please have a think before posting. Some of the posts here deserve a ban for what's said. Am only getting to look at the thread as i was away for a weekend but some of the posts are scandalous.
    Will you just ban everyone that says Nichlaus was better than Tiger?

Would save a lot of the messing and serve them right for being wrong.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Nicklaus was better.

Better human being maybe, but not golfer..

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Up above I queried whether peak Tiger would compete against some of the top guys now (and got a fair bit of stick).  I can now officially retract the statement.  It was staggering how good Tiger was at the weekend, given the lay off.  I never thought he would be outdriving the likes of Justin Thomas, and banging it straight down the middle.  And his irons were as good as ever too.  If he stays fit (a big if, of course), he will be competing to win many tournaments next year.

Some interesting stats here:

Quick 9: Tiger stats that will blow your mind

I like this one.....
    Woods, over a 21-year career, has earned $1,282 for every shot that he’s hit and this is coming when much of his brilliant work was done over a decade ago. In 2008 that figure was up to $4,191 after his six wins and that US Open triumph. Rory McIlroy’s magical 2012 season could ‘only’ bring in $2,140 per shot.

Jordan Spieth is top of the world’s top 10 at $1,104 followed by McIlroy at $1,073. World No. 1 Dustin Johnson is on a paltry $859.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Better human being maybe, but not golfer..

I'd argue both. Can't see Tiger passing out his record in the majors, nor winning a Masters at age 46.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Can the mods please change the thread title? Something befitting like "Post here if you fancy TW."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I second that. ;) It has become the Tiger Woods thread. He deserves a little better than that.

Something like

'Tiger Woods - 14 x Major Champion: Comeback?'.
    'Tiger Woods - 14 x Major Champion: GOAT or Done?'

I'm not very good at this. Maybe some other Tiger fans have better ideas. I think there should be a reflection of his current status of being at a crossroads and a return to former glory not looking very likely. But it should be mostly an acknowledgement of his golfing credentials. We wouldn't call the Paul Dunne thread 'Paul Dunne - not sure about him...'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Any idea of tigers schedule in the coming months?

He's being vague. Building around the majors.

Edit: What's his status btw? Is he fully exempt for everything still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

He's being vague. Building around the majors.

Edit: What's his status btw? Is he fully exempt for everything still?

Everything except WGCs.

Not sure does he qualify for the US Open?

slave1 wrote: »
    Not sure does he qualify for the US Open?

Think he has his last year of the 10 year exemption for his 2008 win. Could be wrong though...

I looked it up.

US Open - he's in his last year from his 2008 win.
    The other three majors he's de facto exempt for the rest of his career as a former winner.
    PGA tour has a lifetime exemption for players with 20+ wins.

WGC's you need to be in the top 50/64 respectively. It'll be a while to say the least.

WGC's you need to be in the top 50/64 respectively. It'll be a while to say the least.

Or a win on any tour would get him in (positive thinking) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Great to see Tiger Woods in really great spirits ahead of his PGA Tour comeback in the Farmers Insurance Open this week. By all accounts he is hugging people and greeting them with a smile. That is really refreshing to see.

In the past Tiger would have this circus and bodyguards around him and to be honest, it looked terrible for his image. It is also well documented during the times of his great success that he was not very sociable and he would reluctantly speak to his peers and I felt he looked down on people and being very dismissive.

There is more in the link below and I really hope that Tiger, the new friendly and far more mature version, it seems has a brilliant 2018 and beyond and here's hoping that Tiger can get playing a full schedule and more importantly is feeling healthy and can swing without any pain.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/01/23/tiger-woods-reinvented-farmers-insurance-open-torrey-pines.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

<snip>

Advertisement