Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

NDWC wrote: »
    Chances are I wouldn't have watched any coverage over the first few days if Tiger wasn't playing, probably just Sunday. I could watch him all day so I love the wall to wall Tiger coverage.
    You're probably around 12 years old so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

NDWC wrote: »
    Chances are I wouldn't have watched any coverage over the first few days if Tiger wasn't playing, probably just Sunday. I could watch him all day so I love the wall to wall Tiger coverage.

I'm loving it too. Big Tiger fan here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

What a silly comment. There is a huge number of viewers this week just like the poster above who will tune in the first couple of days just to see Tiger. Wait until Thursday's viewing figures are released and then come back and comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The guy is frickin awesome.

Even the hint that he is in the range of cutting it at all in serious pro golf is the biggest thing to hit golf in years. Whats going on at the top of the leaderboard is incidental to the Tiger Show. Its just mega box office. The worlds headlines are that he is playing decent golf - and that in itself is good enough for the moment.

As a back from the dead redemption sporting story, there has never been anything to rival what the first few scenes are hinting at here. We are talking Wagnerian Nietzschian superman bending the universe to his end by sheer mental will stuff.

Man, the hype for the Masters will be stratospheric. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

You're spot on my friend. In fact, as you'll see from my join date, I started posting on this site at the ripe old age of 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Great to see him back - it's good to make the cut get rounds under the belt.

The way he grinded to make it shows he still interested/competitive spirit - would be easy for him on Friday afternoon to just throw in the towel when he needed 3 birdies on the back 9..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Alright lads. Let’s keep this about Tiger and less of the insults

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Hope he can relax a bit today, no pressure. Swing a bit smoother. Shoot something in the sixties, a 69 even.

Overall I think he's looked fantastic this weekend. He's trying to smash the life out of it and that cost him, but the short game including putting has been excellent. His demeanour is good too and he showed no signs of pain.
    If he could just ease up a bit now, he doesn't have to prove to anyone he can smash it 30 yards past Reed or anyone. If he could do that he could be dangerous again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger's last two drives... 357 and 351 yards. Think I'll try getting my own back fused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Pity about the call-out and the two lipout putts. Would be some craic if he was -8 now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

Up at T19 now. This is a great showing and bodes well for the year. Particularly given that his short game has been sharp this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Who would have thought he'd finish ahead of Mickleson over 72 holes.

He's back but still not competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I haven't bothered with a regular PGA tour event since the FedEx playoffs. This week I tuned in every evening. Its all about The Cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The biggest thing is to keep fit he if he keeps as fit as he seems now it will all start to click for him again he won't dominate like he did before but he can easily win again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I didn't think I was a Tiger fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed that coverage of the Farmers, and watched all four days. Delighted he's back and playing decent golf......if he was playing rubbish, I might be less enthused.

Looking forward to his next outing.

I thinks he’s very close to competitive.

Unfortunately, based on this weekends result, he’s already way more competitive than the 3 Irish who played at the event...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Anyone making the cut in a PGA tour event is competitive be definition. Not winning competitive or even competitive to Tiger's high standards, but they earned their spot there all the same.

I would argue he's not far from 'Tiger competitive' even since he made the cut playing sh1te. Obviously not sh1te sh1te, his short game was pretty fantastic, but you know the way it feels. You got 37 points but your swing never felt right or even comfortable. You hit it left or right or short or long but never where you want it. You scramble to 37 points but it felt like playing sh1te.
    That's what Tiger seemed like all four days and yet he made the cut.
    I'm only a 12 handicapper but I know when I play sh1te and I get 37 points I'm not far away. Next week it won't feel so bad and I'll have 41 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I thinks he’s very close to competitive.

Unfortunately, based on this weekends result, he’s already way more competitive than the 3 Irish who played at the event...

Way more competitive because he finished a shot ahead of 2 of them over 2 rounds?!

fullstop wrote: »
    Way more competitive because he finished a shot ahead of 2 of them over 2 rounds?!

Yes, and enjoyed the final 2 rounds.

2 shots at that level is kind of important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

One shot. He birdied the last to make the cut on the number, but if he didn't hole that one putt he's not competitive is it?

fullstop wrote: »

One shot. He birdied the last to make the cut on the number, but if he didn't hole that one putt he's not competitive is it?

Well, yes. He misses that putt and he goes home. Making that putt makes all the difference. He pushed on for a solid finish, and played some quality golf over the weekend, suggesting potential for a very strong season ahead.

Based on the evidence in front of me at this very early stage of the season, he is indeed more competitive than the Irish players listed. Of course, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Ryder cup captains pick?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Wombatman wrote: »
    Ryder cup captains pick?

After one tournament? Really?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Love Tiger and hope he comes back well but it would be a massive kick in the teeth to players that had to play tournaments to qualify and the ones that didn't make it if he got a captains pick this year unless he goes out and wins a tournament or two and shows unreal form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

The only captains pick he will get is being a Vice Captain. Assuming he wants to do it.

Is it impossible for him to qualify on merit? Obviously it would require him to win tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

Is it impossible for him to qualify on merit? Obviously it would require him to win tournaments.

He is currently 92nd on the US Ryder Cup Standings. If he won a couple of big tournaments it would jump him up significantly. Whether it puts him into the top 8 is another thing...

Whether he wins a couple of times is also another matter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    After one tournament? Really?!!

Two actually. No but I think if he keeps playing the way he is playing, makes a couple of top tens or a good show in the majors. particularly The Masters, and of course if he stays fit, then I see him as a shoe in. Think of what it will do for the TV viewing figures and hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Wombatman wrote: »
    Two actually. No but I think if he keeps playing the way he is playing, makes a couple of top tens or a good show in the majors. particularly The Masters, and of course if he stays fit, then I see him as a shoe in. Think of what it will do for the TV viewing figures and hype.

If he keeps playing the way he has no chance of making the team. He needs to improve quite a bit to make those top tens or do well at Augusta.

Advertisement