Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

bren2001 wrote: »
    If he keeps playing the way he has no chance of making the team. He needs to improve quite a bit to make those top tens or do well at Augusta.

I don't think anyway is saying he can make the team playing the way he is but given it was his first real tournament back and he managed to get in the top 25, it is fairly encouraging.

Once he stays injury free, I think we will see a big improvement over the next few months. He is one of the best players to ever play the game, I think he will find a way to improve.

Edit: Sorry didn't really take notice of what Wombatman had said about playing the way he is, he obviously does need to improve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes, and enjoyed the final 2 rounds.

2 shots at that level is kind of important.

Pity tiger isn't as competitive at 3 of the Irish lads these days, eh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I was a tiger fan but really wonder why he came back. He seem really miserable after every shot bar it's perfect. He doesn't seem to enjoy it. So what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I was a tiger fan but really wonder why he came back. He seem really miserable after every shot bar it's perfect. He doesn't seem to enjoy it. So what's the point.

Being highly driven and getting to the level he was at, he is probably still expecting/wanting that to be the case. He was never really a ray of sunshine back in the day either. The good shots are always more enjoyable also, of course he'd be miserable if they're not always that way.

There'll be easier courses than this week for him. Let's hope he can keep plugging away without injury, it will get better that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Spider Rico

fullstop wrote: »

Not a pity at all

• Advertisement

Not a pity at all

Well he's obviously regressed massively in the last 3 weeks, which is a pity.

Well he's obviously regressed massively in the last 3 weeks, which is a pity.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

a bit crass that comment.

Easy to knock a man when he is down.

Happy4all wrote: »
    a bit crass that comment.

Easy to knock a man when he is down.

Maybe read the other fella's nonsense from the other week when he made the cut on the number but was so much more competitive than anyone who missed it by a shot

Maybe read the other fella's nonsense from the other week when he made the cut on the number but was so much more competitive than anyone who missed it by a shot

Anyone who takes time away from the game like he did, and comes back following surgery, to finish very respectably in a PGA Tour event shows promise to compete at the top.

Granted, a poor week this week, and as the season progresses we'll have more evidence to go on.

But, by all means, check-in here to let me know any time he's not up to scratch.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

talking to a member of Ballyliffin this week that the rumour is that Tiger's going to add the Irish Open to his schedule......

wouldnt that be nice....get to see him again in Portrush in July 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

talking to a member of Ballyliffin this week that the rumour is that Tiger's going to add the Irish Open to his schedule......

wouldnt that be nice....get to see him again in Portrush in July 2019.

Whilst it would be great to see, I really have to question the rumour. Tiger didn't confirm he was going to play this current week until late last Friday. I highly doubt he is even thinking that far ahead at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

HighLine wrote: »
    Whilst it would be great to see, I really have to question the rumour. Tiger didn't confirm he was going to play this current week until late last Friday. I highly doubt he is even thinking that far ahead at the moment.

The Open is 15th-22nd July, so assume many of the pro's might play Irish Open in preparation for the Open?

Enigma IE wrote: »
    The Open is 15th-22nd July, so assume many of the pro's might play Irish Open in preparation for the Open?

Yeah they definitely will, that's one of the reasons the organisers of the Irish Open wanted it moved to such a date but I'm just talking about Tiger and, as I said above, he is taking it tournament by tournament and certainly won't be thinking past the Masters yet.
    Would be fantastic if it does happen though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm not sure what people expected, but I think Tiger is doing extremely well so far.

OK he's not fantastic by absolute standards as in back amongst the leaders, but IMO it would be way too early to hold that against him.
    He's showing no signs of back problems, if anything he could take it little easier. He has come back to proper PGA tour level golf. He played two weeks in a row. He made a cut and missed one. He's gotta work on his tee shots and his distances are off, but his short game is in very good shape.

Today he's looking good again except for the driver (again). He was -2 and has come back to level which is tied 11th atm. His playing partners are +3 and +4 on what does not look like a 20 under course. His body language is very positive.

As a Tiger fan I think this is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm not sure what people expected, but I think Tiger is doing extremely well so far.

OK he's not fantastic by absolute standards as in back amongst the leaders, but IMO it would be way too early to hold that against him.
    He's showing no signs of back problems, if anything he could take it little easier. He has come back to proper PGA tour level golf. He played two weeks in a row. He made a cut and missed one. He's gotta work on his tee shots and his distances are off, but his short game is in very good shape.

Today he's looking good again except for the driver (again). He was -2 and has come back to level which is tied 11th atm. His playing partners are +3 and +4 on what does not look like a 20 under course. His body language is very positive.

As a Tiger fan I think this is great.

Yeah I agree I'm no expert and not really a massive tiger fab but the fact he seems to be able string tournaments together without showing sign if Injury has to be a massive positive.

If he stays fit he will get some kind of form back he probably won't ever get back to number one in the world or anything but he could easily be a regular contender again and pick up wins.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

He did well today. Even par 70 at the Honda Classic in Florida. Tough conditions apparently. Tied 25th currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

Why is it he's still the only black player of any note on Tour? Back in 97 he was being heralded as the groundbreaker for future generations of black players, which apart from Vijay has never transpired.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Ursummupet wrote: »
    Why is it he's still the only black player of any note on Tour? Back in 97 he was being heralded as the groundbreaker for future generations of black players, which apart from Vijay has never transpired.
    look at the faces of the people attending the event 95% Caucasian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ursummupet wrote: »

I guess its traditionally not a very black sport. Bit like hockey if we're thinking America. And Vijay isn't really 'black', as in African American black, he's Indian/Fiji afaik. Tiger is of multi ethnic descent himself with both his parents being of mixed ethnicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Very impressive stuff from Tiger today. Tough conditions and some very high scores coming in. Short game is very good and an absolute belter of a drive on 10.

Edit: I jinxed him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ursummupet

He's not the only one over par on the Bear Trap.

T14 going into the weekend, even if a rocky finish with a double and a bogey in the last 3 holes. Not too shabby at all from Eldrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Just looked at his highlights this morning, the fire n desire is there, short game is really good if he sorts his driving he will contend again. Love or loathe him he is good for TV Golf.

This speed is fairly incredible all things considered.

https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/967482434836103169

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Excellent put there to save parr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

PPeePHx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Well into top 10. Some week for him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Come on Tiger. This is a great week regardless of how the remaining holes go.

Tiger to win a tournament before Rory does??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

proximity to the hole 1st
    strokes gained putting +3

Advertisement