Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Come on Tiger. This is a great week regardless of how the remaining holes go.

Tiger to win a tournament before Rory does??

Keep dreaming. It's been one good week, I ain't getting too excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

bren2001 wrote: »
    Keep dreaming. It's been one good week, I ain't getting too excited.

Tiger is trending in the right direction and will have a win this season. Rory... needs a professional caddy for a start and his wedges are still shockingly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

HighLine wrote: »
    Tiger is trending in the right direction and will have a win this season. Rory... needs a professional caddy for a start and his wedges are still shockingly poor.

Rory needs a brain transplant, Tiger is 42,dodgy knees,a fused back and has hardly played in three years and is still a far superior player.So happy to see him back and his putting looks great again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Really enjoying seeing Tiger just going straight at the flags on this back 9. Playing for the win and a win only.

No doubt he's going in the right direction and this week he has looked good. However, it is just one week. His short game at Torrey Pines was phenomenal and really papered over the cracks, he was poor at Riviera last week. Its premature to make a judgement call on Tiger but there are still some serious question he still has to answer, fitness being the primarily one. I don't think he will win this year.

From what I've seen of Rory, I don't think his game is that far away.He's just back after a long enough lay off. He'll find some form at some point this year and win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

No doubt he's going in the right direction and this week he has looked good. However, it is just one week. His short game at Torrey Pines was phenomenal and really papered over the cracks, he was poor at Riviera last week. Its premature to make a judgement call on Tiger but there are still some serious question he still has to answer, fitness being the primarily one. I don't think he will win this year.

From what I've seen of Rory, I don't think his game is that far away.He's just back after a long enough lay off. He'll find some form at some point this year and win.

Not sure if you saw Tiger's swing speeds this week. Hugely impressive.

As for Rory, completely disagree. He's game is looking terrible. Really hoping he can change that however in the coming months.

https://twitter.com/chambleebrandel/status/967874566306582529

Not sure if you saw Tiger's swing speeds this week. Hugely impressive.

As for Rory, completely disagree. He's game is looking terrible. Really hoping he can change that however in the coming months.

https://twitter.com/chambleebrandel/status/967874566306582529

I saw some of his swing speeds all right. He was very impressive this week. I don't see how a 42 year old with spinal fusion can maintain those numbers playing week in week out. Its completely bonkers for him to be up there. I suspect, over the course of the season DJ, Rory etc. will be well ahead of him.

Aside from the physical exertions, how will he hold up to the mental fatigue. I don't mean closing out tournaments, I mean being away from his kids, recovering from setbacks etc.

I just think its far too soon to be thinking he will win anything.

On a side not, if you're leading in driving distance and proximity to hole, you should be winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I think he will win again and fairly soon. He has good distance, his chipping is very good and his putting it fairly good too. He is still tiger woods so id say his bottle and nerve will still be there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

^ I agree but with a couple of 'ifs'. If his health stays strong and if he plays at least half a schedule I think he will win this year. A couple of 'ifs' but if they hold up its not even much of a prediction. You can see how the confidence is building in him. There wasn't much missing this week for him to be in the mix. He'll be sharp in 6 weeks time.

I actually can't believe it. I didn't think we'd even see a serious attempt like this again. I really thought he was gone. Fingers crossed.

could the same not be said for tiger off a longer layoff and is showing form, granted i accept there are a lot of if's with tigers comeback but so far so good

• Advertisement

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    could the same not be said for tiger off a longer layoff and is showing form, granted i accept there are a lot of if's with tigers comeback but so far so good

His game looked a good bit better this week than the last two outings so I'm still looking at Tiger at Riviera. His driving, while long, is still pretty ropey. He seems to be missing it right a lot, almost compensating for a left miss. While Tiger was never consistent off the tee, times have changed a bit and he needs to in order to win. His iron play looks rusty but his short game is excellent.

Nobody really knows where Tiger is due to the big ifs over him.

I still see Rorys problem as mental as opposed to technical. I personally think his game is pretty much there, he just has shockingly bad course management. Well, that and his putting of course but I've lost hope for that. However, I also tend to give Rory far more credit than he deserves. I want him to do well more than any other player so do find it a bit hard to be objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

AnneFrank wrote: »

Rory needs a brain transplant, Tiger is 42,dodgy knees,a fused back and has hardly played in three years and is still a far superior player.So happy to see him back and his putting looks great again

I'm not sure how you come to that opinion after a couple of rounds this year. Unless you have rose coloured glasses. Wait and see what happens later towards the summer and then judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Went full on wild animal Tiger mode...out duck-hunting :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

He has confirmed for the next 2 weeks. The Valspar and the Arnold Palmer invitational. Good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good to see him able to commit to more events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Great news lads the body must be reacting well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

jayo26 wrote: »
    Great news lads the body must be reacting well.

Heard Rich Beam (I think it was him) commentating on the tournament last week, he said not only is his striking better than it has been for a few years, his walk looks far more fluid and less stiff than it has been for some time. Looks like all he needs now is tournament sharpeness and confidence that he can swing uninhibited for 4 rounds to compete again. He was never the best driver on tour when it came to hitting fairways but if he improves that and drops a few putts, who knows, his competitive edge seems undiminished, according to himself, that's what separated him from the pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

davo10 wrote: »
    Heard Rich Beam (I think it was him) commentating on the tournament last week, he said not only is his striking better than it has been for a few years, his walk looks far more fluid and less stiff than it has been for some time. Looks like all he needs now is tournament sharpeness and confidence that he can swing uninhibited for 4 rounds to compete again. He was never the best driver on tour when it came to hitting fairways but if he improves that and drops a few putts, who knows, his competitive edge seems undiminished, according to himself, that's what separated him from the pack.

Don't care what anyone says the fact that he has gone through what he has gone through and is back to the state he is now shows some desire and character. It's barely nine months since he was stopped for driving and high as a kite on prescription pills.

What a turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Another decent showing on his front nine. Only missed one fairway, a couple of loose iron shots and a bit off with the putter.

Level par in fine position after 9

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

See we're back having to listen to the clowns shouting after shots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Some shot there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Some shot there.

Would've been some ace!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Savage. It had a little peak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nice tap in birdie

Is all of the spitting he does really necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Absolutely delighted to see Tiger taking on shots i.e the one on the 16th and the 4th yesterday. That proves that Tiger's back fusion surgery was an overwhelming success and is more importantly playing pain free and swinging nicely also. I really hope that Tiger wins this weekend proves that there is very much life in the 14 time major winner yet. Great to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I was as reluctant to get excited about the return of Tiger at the seaside knockabout late last year as anyone, but the real test has been the last few weeks, and he has passed with flying colours.

He has being playing on some very tough setups with little hiding place and has only had one particularly bad tournament, not bad for a guy who is only just returning to tour sharpness and dealing with returning from injury. This is his 5th tournament of the year so it's not like he is still testing it out, he's been through enough to know if his body can take it, and it looks positive.

There hasn't been anything particularly spectacular, it's not like the Tiger magic-dust of the past, but the level of consistency has been quite impressive.

T23, Cut, 12, T8 (R1)

He has done very well all things considered. These tournaments have fields of about 140 or so. Guys like Henrik Stenson, Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth look like missing the weekend here so making the cut consistently shouldn't be considered easy, even for Tiger at 42.

Nothing can be ruled out for him now in terms of what he can win, be it regular tournaments, majors or play in the Ryder Cup. He's competing for these things in the pack with everyone else, so he should view any wins as a real achievement, not just the standard course of action for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...One thing I'm loving about Tiger is his attitude...He seems so happy, and so friendly as well.. Even just watching his talk and highlights on sky sports now, at the very ended he makes a joke about still looking well and laughed out loud...The old tiger didn't do that...If/when he wins a tournament it wi'll be absolutely amazing...
    ...Here's a question...Who would be favourite to win a major between Woods/Mcilroy, right now I think Tiger is in better shape overall...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Exactly wrote: »
    Is all of the spitting he does really necessary?

I can never understand why this is always mentioned. He's an athlete, he's outdoors. Who cares? Footballers do it all the time. Just my opinion mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I honestly think I will weep with joy if Tiger wins again, especially if he gets #totesemoshe himself.

Advertisement