Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

First Up wrote: »

Using the rules to your advantage is fair enough. Using the help of spectators to improve your situation is not.

Where does it say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

AGC wrote: »

Using the rules to your advantage is fair enough. Using the help of spectators to improve your situation is not.

Where does it say that?
    Depends on where you look but thanks for demonstrating my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

The rule of golf clearly says spectators can assist. It says nowhere that any rule is being broken. There is no questions about that.

AGC wrote: »

The rule of golf clearly says spectators can assist. It says nowhere that any rule is being broken. There is no questions about that.

As long as the ruling official agrees that a boulder that needs a dozen or more people to move it meets the definition of "loose".

That's the point where the rule book is open to interpretation - and the marsall is vulnerable to the pressure of a superstar's lobbying, an enthusiastic pro-Tiger gallery and a global TV audience.

• Advertisement

As long as the ruling official agrees that a boulder that needs a dozen or more people to move it meets the definition of "loose".

That's the point where the rule book is open to interpretation - and the marsall is vulnerable to the pressure of a superstar's lobbying, an enthusiastic pro-Tiger gallery and a global TV audience.

Think you have summed it up there. Regardless of who the player is once a rules official is called and gives the ruling its carry on.

You see some players call in a rules official for drops as simple as a water hazard just for the re-assurance and also with the amount of scrutiny.

Big difference between Marshall and official.

Darren Clarke, in carton benefited from one of the biggest piece of gallery support I’ve ever seen but his sportsmanship came through on what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

bren2001 wrote: »
    Tiger getting the boulder moved is no different than:

Jordan Spieth getting his drop last year at the British Open.

He took a penalty drop, so not exactly the same as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ForeRight wrote: »

What's even more interesting is they've been drawn in the same group in the matchplay!

fullstop wrote: »
    bren2001 wrote: »
    Tiger getting the boulder moved is no different than:

Jordan Spieth getting his drop last year at the British Open.

And he didn't recruit the gallery to move the driving range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

fullstop wrote: »

He took a penalty drop, drop it behind the trucks to then get a free drop on the driving range in a far better position. He used the rules to his advantage the same way Phil, Dustin, Tiger and every player have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

This thread is hilarious. People who have issues with something that happened almost 20 years ago and using that as a stick to beat him with.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with this particular issue as has already been discussed he checked with a rules official and used the rules and gallery to his advantage. I would think that if you are trying to slate Tiger for breaking rules then his drop in the masters in 2013(i think) would be your first port of call.
    But in all honesty lads. 20 YEARS AGO? REALLY?
    The hatred runs deep if you still have a problem with this.

God love us if he manages to win people will be heart broken. Tiger has far more flaws than a few instances where he manipulated the rules to his advantage mentioned above. But he is certainly good for golf and if you believe otherwise you certainly need to find another hobby.

kiers47 wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious. People who have issues with something that happened almost 20 years ago and using that as a stick to beat him with.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with this particular issue as has already been discussed he checked with a rules official and used the rules and gallery to his advantage. I would think that if you are trying to slate Tiger for breaking rules then his drop in the masters in 2013(i think) would be your first port of call.
    But in all honesty lads. 20 YEARS AGO? REALLY?
    The hatred runs deep if you still have a problem with this.

God love us if he manages to win people will be heart broken. Tiger has far more flaws than a few instances where he manipulated the rules to his advantage mentioned above. But he is certainly good for golf and if you believe otherwise you certainly need to find another hobby.

I was accused of hating him (I don't) but I listed a number of things I dislike. I included the media hype, and ultra favourable rulings - the boulder incident being one.

I also mentioned the bad behaviour of the galleries he attracts and as an example
    I mentioned the abuse showered on Rory M and Justin Thomas among others last weekend - something that only seems to happen when Tiger is in the field.

Was that one recent enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

I was accused of hating him (I don't) but I listed a number of things I dislike. I included the media hype, and ultra favourable rulings - the boulder incident being one.

I also mentioned the bad behaviour of the galleries he attracts and as an example
    I mentioned the abuse showered on Rory M and Justin Thomas among others last weekend - something that only seems to happen when Tiger is in the field.

Justin Thomas has not played the last two weekends. What abuse are you referring to?

Have Justin or Rory complained about playing with Tiger?

I think you need to let a few things go. I think it is great to have him back competing again. Did not think I would see the day.

Justin Thomas has not played the last two weekends. What abuse are you referring to?

Have Justin or Rory complained about playing with Tiger?

I think you need to let a few things go. I think it is great to have him back competing again. Did not think I would see the day.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22811719/rory-mcilroy-says-limiting-alcohol-sales-necessary-calm-abusive-fans

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Rory McIlroy wondered Saturday whether limiting alcohol sales might help curb some of the loud and abusive behavior he believes is getting worse at PGA Tour tournaments.

A month ago, McIlroy suggested that the commotion that surrounds a group following Tiger Woods cost the 14-time major champion half a shot per round.

"It's tiring," McIlroy said. "I've got a headache after all that."

During Saturday's third round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, McIlroy again felt there were instances of poor behavior that crossed the line.

Three weeks ago, Justin Thomas had a spectator removed during the final round of the Honda Classic because he believed the fan had gone too far, yelling at his ball to get in the rough or in the water or taunting him as he walked from a green to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

"During Saturday's third round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, McIlroy again felt there were instances of poor behavior that crossed the line.

Three weeks ago, Justin Thomas had a spectator removed during the final round of the Honda Classic because he believed the fan had gone too far, yelling at his ball to get in the rough or in the water or taunting him as he walked from a green to a tee."

What have either of these things got to do with Tiger?

eoghan104 wrote: »
    "During Saturday's third round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, McIlroy again felt there were instances of poor behavior that crossed the line.

Three weeks ago, Justin Thomas had a spectator removed during the final round of the Honda Classic because he believed the fan had gone too far, yelling at his ball to get in the rough or in the water or taunting him as he walked from a green to a tee."

What have either of these things got to do with Tiger?

Did you read the preceding paragraph?

You may be unwilling to accept it, but there is an element that follows Tiger (and nobody else) that causes trouble everywhere he plays (except Augusta). US golf galleries can get loud at the best of times but you only see hostility towards other players from the Tiger-twits. Of course he doesn't personally cause it, but when he isn't there, it doesn't happen.

It doesn't happen at Augusta because (a) they don't usually get tickets and (b) one word out of their obnoxious mouths and they are ejected.

I've marshalled at US Tour events. I know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

First Up wrote:
    You may be unwilling to accept it, but there is an element that follows Tiger (and nobody else) that causes trouble everywhere he plays (except Augusta). US golf galleries can get loud at the best of times but you only see hostility towards other players from the Tiger-twits. Of course he doesn't personally cause it, but when he isn't there, it doesn't happen.

First Up wrote:
    It doesn't happen at Augusta because (a) they don't usually get tickets and (b) one word out of their obnoxious mouths and they are ejected.

First Up wrote:

First Up wrote:

From reading your posts you do have a strong dislike towards tiger, you have your reasons but the gallery should not come into it... Its like saying you don't like the English football team because their fans always cause trouble but to be fair it was never Gerrard, lampard etc. Who were telling them to go fighting and wrecking pubs like tiger isn't telling fans to shout at Rory or thomas

First Up wrote:

First Up wrote:

First Up wrote:

First Up wrote:

From reading your posts you do have a strong dislike towards tiger, you have your reasons but the gallery should not come into it... Its like saying you don't like the English football team because their fans always cause trouble but to be fair it was never Gerrard, lampard etc. Who were telling them to go fighting and wrecking pubs like tiger isn't telling fans to shout at Rory or thomas

I agree the gallery shouldn't come into it - but they do. Tournaments without Tiger may not be as "exciting" for some but they are a lot more pleasant for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Great to see the GOAT put in a good performance again. Solid play for the most part and he personally must be delighted with his progress. I bet he is relishing the start of the masters. Hopefully this years tournament lives up to the potential hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

My guess is that First Up put his back out when moving the boulder and had his claim rejected by Tiger... hence the dislike.

• Advertisement

ForeRight wrote: »
    My guess is that First Up put his back out when moving the boulder and had his claim rejected by Tiger... hence the dislike.

No, no its my nose that is out of joint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

I agree the gallery shouldn't come into it - but they do. Tournaments without Tiger may not be as "exciting" for some but they are a lot more pleasant for everyone else.
    When tiger players it more exciting for the majority, including the players.This has been said often enough at this stage since he came back.At the Valspar the crowds were up 10,000 per day.Who gained...,the local charities of Tampa bay.With more crowds there is more noise. The majority of the people are following the Woods or Mickelson groups.The tiger effect,long may at last.Its good for everyone.Golf is blessed to have him back

agusta wrote: »
    When tiger players it more exciting for the majority, including the players.This has been said often enough at this stage since he came back.At the Valspar the crowds were up 10,000 per day.Who gained...,the local charities of Tampa bay.With more crowds there is more noise. The majority of the people are following the Woods or Mickelson groups.The tiger effect,long may at last.Its good for everyone.Golf is blessed to have him back

Ah, if only it was all that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Slightly off topic here, but the title of the article references Tiger, so I'll leave it here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everyones-talking-about-tiger-but-phil-mickelson-is-playing-the-best-golf-of-his-career/

In line with most people, I was probably as focussed on Tiger's comeback so Phil's numbers (apart from the win) pretty much passed me by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

So basically pretty much everything you dislike is not anything he has done but stuff that is done to him or around him.

Its is that simple.I dont see any negatives.Every player on the pga tour is delighted he is back

So basically pretty much everything you dislike is not anything he has done but stuff that is done to him or around him.

See post 1,764.

agusta wrote: »
    Its is that simple.I dont see any negatives.Every player on the pga tour is delighted he is back

Having him back is fine.

Having all the sh*t that goes with it is not.

Sergio just had some idiot thrown out.....they are everywhere even when Tiger not around

• Advertisement

What about all the abuse Colin Montgomerie got when he played in America.Some say he brought it on himself. Justin Thomas certainly had fans ganging up on him in the tournament for not calling fore.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/watch-justin-thomas-criticised-for-not-shouting-fore-as-his-drive-hits-spectator-on-the-head-36639027.html

Advertisement