Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

agusta wrote: »
    Every player on the pga tour is delighted he is back

I doubt very much if that’s true tbh. However I’d be pretty sure no player would ever come out and say it either.

AGC wrote: »
    Sergio just had some idiot thrown out.....they are everywhere even when Tiger not around

Now if there was ever a golfer to dislike then that’s the guy.

Comes across as a despicable human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Crossed paths with him at a Taylor Made event many years ago and he couldn’t have been nicer

Good article in the times on ‘rowdy crowds’ at golf and only 1 reference to tiger, when he was the victim recently.

It is an issue that has grown over the last few years when tiger was very much in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Russman wrote: »
    I doubt very much if that’s true tbh. However I’d be pretty sure no player would ever come out and say it either.

Actually, from my own experience, it's pretty true. I've played in a couple of pro-ams in the US. I've met a good few pros over the years as I have a close friend who used to play on the European Tour. I never heard any pro say anything positive about Tiger as a person, but they sure as hell love him for making them rich. The time he held that press conference where he said he "felt entitled" actually held up one of the pro-ams because all the players wanted to watch it, everyone of them said he was a creep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

davo10 wrote: »
    Actually, from my own experience, it's pretty true. I've played in a couple of pro-ams in the US. I've met a good few pros over the years as I have a close friend who used to play on the European Tour. I never heard any pro say anything positive about Tiger as a person, but they sure as hell love him for making them rich. The time he held that press conference where he said he "felt entitled" actually held up one of the pro-ams because all the players wanted to watch it, everyone of them said he was a creep.

A word of advice if you are going to use quotation marks you might want to include what he actually said and not something that you remember him saying.

He said "I felt i was entitled" There is a big difference what he actually said along with the tone of the rest of the statement. It offers some remorse for his actions.

How you outline it above looks a hell of a lot different.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Funny how things pan out.

https://www.pga.com/news/pga/twenty-years-later-steve-scott-reflects-epic-battle-tiger-woods

I met Steve Scott a few years ago in the US. Nice fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

kiers47 wrote: »
    A word of advice if you are going to use quotation marks you might want to include what he actually said and not something that you remember him saying.

He said "I felt i was entitled" There is a big difference what he actually said along with the tone of the rest of the statement. It offers some remorse for his actions.

How you outline it above looks a hell of a lot different.

You of course are right, that makes a huge difference to the post, changes it completely. On the other hand, I could have just been using that quotation to identify the press conference, I think most people would know which one I'm talking about, but hey ho, I bow to your talent for the pedantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

davo10 wrote: »
    You of course are right, that makes a huge difference to the post, changes it completely. On the other hand, I could have just been using that quotation to identify the press conference, I think most people would know which one I'm talking about, but hey ho, I bow to your talent for the pedantic.

When you put that quote with the rest of your post it takes that actual moment in time completely out of context. Fair enough if thats not what the desired reason for the quote was. But you must see that it doesn't sit in well.

Anyway I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing that tiger is a top guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Back to FSA with you! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Why is he not playing the Houston Open ???
    Would have thought he needs all the practice he can get

Has he ever played week before the masters?

After Arnold Palmer I’d have said there was no need for another tournament beforehand. Probably played more than he normally would have in last as was.

I'm sure he is doing plenty of practice and working on what he needs to do to get himself ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

He could very well be playing practice rounds at Augusta National instead. I know it's not competitive golf like it will be in Texas but it could be more beneficial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Has he ever played week before the masters?

After Arnold Palmer I’d have said there was no need for another tournament beforehand. Probably played more than he normally would have in last as was.
    Tiger never plays a tournament the week before the masters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Saw this over on reddit and thought it may be of interest. The recently released official final day Masters rounds edited. As in Tiger's shots only. All HD and most of them widescreen, too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p559VvE_Az-5edYHhGcSQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭valoren

Crossed paths with him at a Taylor Made event many years ago and he couldn’t have been nicer

I'm sure if Taylormade got wind of Sergio acting the prick at a client/customer facing event they wouldn't be impressed.

A moment ago he looked to be struggling to an over par front 9. Then eagle on 9 after two massive hits, including a six iron over trees, to a front 9 score of 36. Come on boy, 4 under on the back 9 now.

In the end it was a day of moderate ups and downs and a great putt to save a level par round. His misses were to the right today, last few times it was to the left, so even the best have that kind of thing in their game.
    Not burning it up yet, but getting better a little every time he goes out. I hope he will win at some point this year and I feel he will, but for the moment I'm just glad there is some sort of normality about Tiger playing in PGA tour events. Not much of a prediction to say he'll be on the featured group today, fantastic! I love the featured groups where you see everything instead of just jumping from shot to shot and putt to putt.

Just turned on the telly. 5 under through 8, 6 under in total. :eek: Life in the old dog yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just turned on the telly. 5 under through 8, 6 under in total. :eek: Life in the old dog yet.

As long as he can stay out of the ruff! ::o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

3 under thru 5 for today’s round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Starting to look like his old self.

Was just going to say that. Game face back on and going for everything. He has 'the walk' again, too.
    Won't be enough unless Simpson gets the shakes but boy I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Spare us the " Game face" and "walk" rubbish.

He's playing decent golf and heading for a good finish. Leave it at that.

What ruined your supper today? If it makes you so sick why don't you give the Tiger Woods thread a pass eh?

What ruined your supper today? If it makes you so sick why don't you give the Tiger Woods thread a pass eh?
    Happy to discuss his golf. Not the other crap.

Ah come off it. There's bound to be fans here and I know you're not one of them which is obviously fine. But yes he absolutely has a different look about him today. Fully concentrated, in the zone. This isn't even just fanboy talk. I think game face is a perfectly fitting description.
    And I wouldn't ever think it was my place to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't be saying about their favourite team or player. Why do you think you own that right?

Edit: Drying up a bit now. Needs a 4 on the par 5 to keep it going.

Edit Edit: Gets the 4, 32 out. 2nd place is definitely on.

Ah come off it. There's bound to be fans here and I know you're not one of them which is obviously fine. But yes he absolutely has a different look about him today. Fully concentrated, in the zone. This isn't even just fanboy talk. I think game face is a perfectly fitting description.
    And I wouldn't ever think it was my place to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't be saying about their favourite team or player. Why do you think you own that right?

Let me know if you have anything to contribute other than comments about his facial expressions or gait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Add another 2 birdies to this...real chance for 2nd...Dare I even wonder if Simpson could crash?...

Advertisement