Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

First Up wrote: »
    Let me know if you have anything to contribute other than comments about his facial expressions or gait.

-13 for the weekend so far, too right he’ll have game face on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Phenomenal stuff from woods, 2nd place will get him back inside the world's top 50!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

6 under through 12, tied for 2nd now. Simpson has a little wobble atm and Tiger has 6 holes to go. Couldn't happen could it?
    I definitely think 2nd is possible now. Will do wonders for his ranking in any case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

...Add another 2 birdies to this...real chance for 2nd...Dare I even wonder if Simpson could crash?...
    Grow up lad. Tiger couldn't give a flying f**k about you or any of his fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He's playing great and making a good charge up the leaderboard. Caught a break with his tee shot on the short par 4 but he made the most of it.

I doubt he'll win but no question he is competitive again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

Grow up lad. Tiger couldn't give a flying f**k about you or any of his fanboys.
    ...This is a thread to talk about Tiger woods, both good and bad...I seriously doubt Tiger gives a f**k about me or any of us fan boys, but I also seriously doubt any of us fan boys are bothered...Maybe take that driver out of your ass and relax...

That was a mistake there. After an incredible drive... He's obviously pumped but smashing a sand wedge was alway going to cause a lot of spin. He had to hit it past the pin. Played the wrong shot there and that's whatever slim chance there was gone.

But not disappointed at all, this is brilliant. One would have to consider him capable of anything from here on. He's truly back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I'm beginning to believe, Tiger has a better chance at another Major than Rory.

Splash. Thats the end of 2nd place dreams. Ah well he went for it, still a great week.

Playing The Memorial (Nicklaus' event) at the end of the month. Unlikely for the week after I'd say. US Open next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Dayum its kinda boring when he isn't playing.

Ye I know what you mean. Call me a fanboy but my favourite type of golf coverage is Tiger in the featured groups. Every shot, the good and the bad and the scrambling, everything. I'd watch that for 5 hours nonstop happy as a pig in mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Ye I know what you mean. Call me a fanboy but my favourite type of golf coverage is Tiger in the featured groups. Every shot, the good and the bad and the scrambling, everything. I'd watch that for 5 hours nonstop happy as a pig in mud.

I'm totally the opposite. I hate it when far too much time is dedicated to one player who isn't in the running. I prefer to watch the ones that are in contention, whoever they are. The coverage of Woods isn't as bad as it was but there still tends to be too much when he's not really competing.
    I'd actually rather see more of any of the Irish players if they are in the top 10........that's not going to happen unless it's Rory.

I actually agree with you. I don't want Tiger hype when its not justified. If he's 10 shots back he should get as little air time as anyone else in that position. As it happens Tiger said in interviews that he doesn't even like it himself. There's enough pressure on him already especially early in his comeback when he wasn't playing very well.
    I was talking about the 'featured groups' coverage though. Its a thing they have expanded on lately (this year). I think it's got to do with the PGA tour making these available for free on twitter or youtube or so and Sky just taking it in too. Basically before the main coverage starts they show 4 or 5 hours of just two or three groups and with that they can show every single shot from them. And when Tiger is on that I just love it.

Ok I don't mind who is in the featured groups. My comments were about the main TV coverage; I'd rather see fair coverage of the top 10 especially if an "unknown" player is competing at the top.

The unbalanced coverage of Tiger Woods in the past actually put me off watching him. I prefer to watch who is doing well (including Woods if he's in contention).

I get that, especially if you're not a fan. But there is no denying the man is a big seller. Most people do want to see him.
    Look at the events where is he is not playing vs the events where he is playing. The difference is staggering. Even on the day. He goes out 10 shots from the lead 2 hours before the final pairing and has 3 times as many people following as the leaders. TV is all about advertising and viewers. So when they show Tiger a lot its because people want to see him.

Rumours not going away he may be playing in the Irish Open in the run up to The Open. Normally there is no way I'd make that 6 hour trek from Waterford to Ballyliffin. But if he was playing I'd have to have a serious think, in fact I'm pretty sure I'd go. But that's me...hopeless fanboy.

I'm also convinced if he showed up it could double the numbers up there. While Ballyliffin may be an awesome course there'll be no casual viewers around. You'd want to be a golf nut to drive up there. Tiger being there would make a massive difference.

I get that, especially if you're not a fan. But there is no denying the man is a big seller.

Yes he is a big seller. Every organiser of every big tournament wants him to be there for obvious reasons. What I don't like is the near hysteria from some fans that would not watch anyone else. I witnessed this at one event where I had got a good position at one hole watching all the players come through. When Woods came to the hole then probably about half of the crowd were following him. Suddenly there was pushing and jostling to get a good view and I was glad when they left as normality returned; the crowd were like a plague of locusts who would do anything just to get close to their hero.

If he is playing well then I'll watch him and if somebody else is playing better then I'll watch them. I just don't get the idea of following one player to the exclusion of everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

stockdam wrote: »
    Yes he is a big seller. Every organiser of every big tournament wants him to be there for obvious reasons. What I don't like is the near hysteria from some fans that would not watch anyone else. I witnessed this at one event where I had got a good position at one hole watching all the players come through. When Woods came to the hole then probably about half of the crowd were following him. Suddenly there was pushing and jostling to get a good view and I was glad when they left as normality returned; the crowd were like a plague of locusts who would do anything just to get close to their hero.

If he is playing well then I'll watch him and if somebody else is playing better then I'll watch them. I just don't get the idea of following one player to the exclusion of everyone else.

It's human nature, I'm not a big fan of formula one, but I like watching the start of races in the hope that there will be a crash. Woods is box office, he is capable of shots few other pros would even imagine, never mind succeed with. But it's great TV to watch him have a complete melt down as well, and with him one can follow the other, sometimes on the same hole.

He started on 10 early and had a stinker of a start, 2 bogeys and a double through 6, but turned it around for a level par finish. Could have been nasty. I was working and the only update I got was at the worst possible moment, after 6. I was thinking ah for feck's sake. Actually delighted now to see level par.

Weather delay and it doesn't really suit as he was just on fire seemingly. 5 under through 11 (which he holed out from 100 yards) and looking at a good birdie putt on 12 which he had to mark and leave alone. Looking forward to the last 6 holes.

• Advertisement

Weather delay and it doesn't really suit as he was just on fire seemingly. 5 under through 11 (which he holed out from 100 yards) and looking at a good birdie putt on 12 which he had to mark and leave alone. Looking forward to the last 6 holes.
    Himself and Rose are egging each other on to some great scores.

Also Dufner is there :P

Tiger having a dose of the McIlroys on the green...delay was a real killer.
    They havent shown Rose though...seems to have had the same impact on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Could have been something special today had his putter not been cold

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1002691447332769794

Back to find solutions after his round... great to see

https://twitter.com/GCTigerTracker/status/1002697606743683072

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

It will all click one of these weeks for him and he will blow the field away. Hopefully in one of the majors. Weather delay was a real killer for him. Could and should have been -9 at the end of find round.

Agree, he came back to his putt 1.5 hrs later - and missed. Missed a couple more short ones over the next holes too. Then the obligatory bogey on the last. But he is playing overall very well and is well in this. I have a feeling he's going to win here this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

This thread is quiet today considering Tiger has just hit the top of the leaderboard. A tiger win soon looks inevitable. Can't see it this week though. Justin Rose is also leading and he is in the form of his life, could be an amazing final pairing tomorrow!

The finish to an otherwise excellent round was a bit disappointing. Short putting was iffy yesterday and today and cost him probably 4, 5 shots at this point. Missed putts you'd normally give him. Granted a couple of those were ugly sliders but still.
    With all that said unless someone goes really low he should be still in this for tomorrow.

Was great to see him in the joint lead albeit briefly.

The finish to an otherwise excellent round was a bit disappointing. Short putting was iffy yesterday and today and cost him probably 4, 5 shots at this point. Missed putts you'd normally give him. Granted a couple of those were ugly sliders but still.
    With all that said unless someone goes really low he should be still in this for tomorrow.

Hmm not sure.. he will probably be 6/7 shots back going into the final round. It's a shame the putter has been cold but his general play is looking very good.
    A win looks very likely over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Barnaboy wrote: »
    This thread is quiet today considering Tiger has just hit the top of the leaderboard.

True but probably 'cos he was never going to be there at the end of today. Didn't expect it to be of his own doing though.

Advertisement