Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

HighLine wrote: »
    Hmm not sure.. he will probably be 6/7 shots back going into the final round. It's a shame the putter has been cold but his general play is looking very good.
    A win looks very likely over the coming weeks.

Maybe. But if its only one guy especially the kid all may not be over. But he could be just 4 or 5 back too. Lets wait and see. But you're probably right he needed to finish on 11 or 12 to be a real threat.

Edit: Rich Beem predicted a while ago that -13 will be the lead by the end of the day. He could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Maybe. But if its only one guy especially the kid all may not be over. But he could be just 4 or 5 back too. Lets wait and see. But you're probably right he needed to finish on 11 or 12 to be a real threat.

He could do a Rory and post a great number early tomorrow.

GreeBo wrote: »
    He could do a Rory and post a great number early tomorrow.

He will have to. 5 back 6 guys ahead of him. I'd say he's raging over those short putts. Could have been very easily just 1 or 2 back.

Wasn't happening for him this week even when I genuinely thought he was going to win. Just never thought putting woes could last, but they did.
    I guess while on a different level altogether in one way those pros are like the rest of us. Its hard to get all facets of the game into good shape at the same time. Its one thing thats off this week and a different one the next. Since the start of his comeback/season he's been through the lot. Short irons, driving, now putting. The week when its all there he'll blow the field away. Hopefully it will be in two weeks time. Its possible, he's very very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Wasn't happening for him this week even when I genuinely thought he was going to win. Just never thought putting woes could last, but they did.
    I guess while on a different level altogether in one way those pros are like the rest of us. Its hard to get all facets of the game into good shape at the same time. Its one thing thats off this week and a different one the next. Since the start of his comeback/season he's been through the lot. Short irons, driving, now putting. The week when its all there he'll blow the field away. Hopefully it will be in two weeks time. Its possible, he's very very close.
    I think you should modify your expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Tbh - given the place he was at not too long ago - this isn't too bad at all.

His career seemed pretty much finished.

Great credit due to him for the recent progress.

First Up wrote: »
    I think you should modify your expectations.

You're probably right there. Should still be just happy that he plays at all. Its just I cant help myself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

I don't think Shinnecock will suit him, but Carnousite is a different matter. I fancy him to really give that a go and get very close to winning it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Carnoustie and Shinnecock Hills are both too tight for him at the moment. The PGA is the tournament he should really focus on if he wants to win a major this year. Gives him a bit more time too to get more tournament practice.

So he's out at half 6 with Dustin Johnson and Justin Thomas and I will miss it sitting on a plane. Will be lucky to catch anything the whole weekend. :(

Edit: this looks interesting. A single guy on -1 after the morning groups. Looks like +3 to +5 is going to be a good score. :eek:

Edit: looks like I didn’t miss much. Saw a few of the last holes yesterday and he looked prettty bad. Saw a four putt from 15 feet. Saw tee shots that looked like big banana slices with subsequent hacking of the rough. Looked like me 5 years ago. :(

+10 is hardly going to make the cut.
    Looks like he didn’t like the first. Half of the 10 over he racked up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

dball wrote: »
    Good story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looks like he’s up to 50 after The Open so that’s him into the next WGC, good stuff

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Reckon he's a cert for a Ryder cup captain's pick. I just can't see how Furyk won't pick him. Whether he should or not is debatable I suppose.

He's getting ever closer. When he had the lead there today I thought today might be the day. He's definitely back among the best.

But you could say today he choked. He had a bit for swing crisis after the turn and he kinda blew it. He didn't get caught or was outplayed. He gave it away all by himself. Couple of tight tee shots catching bad lies. An over ambitious little pitch shot when he probably should have settled for a 5. And bang 3 shots gone. On the back nine of a major. :eek: So while he's definitely back, he's not back to what he was. Young Tiger would never have given 3 shots away on a Sunday afternoon.

Delighted for Molinari though. He deserved one the way he's playing for quite some time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tiger played no worse than them all today apart from Rose and Molinari, just not his day....but it’s coming soon

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

slave1 wrote: »
    Tiger played no worse than them all today apart from Rose and Molinari, just not his day....but it’s coming soon

He was even par which was much better than most in the field.

It's just that he got himself into the position and then immediately blew it so it feels more disappointing.

Good to see him up there. There's still a winner in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'll be amazed if he doesn't win again. Hopefully it happens soon.

When is the last time he led in the final round of a major and didn't win?

I cant remember another occasion off the top of my head.

Very disappointing run where he dropped 3 shots in 2 holes, going for the spectacular recovery really cost him...I reckon a bogey there and he doesnt drop another on the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

GreeBo wrote: »
    When is the last time he led in the final round of a major and didn't win?[quote/]

I would guess 2009 pga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Continues his run of not winning a major he wasn't leading going in to day 4.

I thought he played very well, a total brain fart those two holes where he dropped 3 shots but other than that he was very solid. Its coming, I didn't think he would do it today but you can feel he is getting closer and closer. Brilliant to have him back in the mix at the very least.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

He played well and was leading at one stage which is some achievement. In the final round he only had two holes that were poor but it's a hard course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pctrouble

Has anyone ever played the ball he does, and if so what do you make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

He's getting ever closer. When he had the lead there today I thought today might be the day. He's definitely back among the best.

But you could say today he choked. He had a bit for swing crisis after the turn and he kinda blew it. He didn't get caught or was outplayed. He gave it away all by himself. Couple of tight tee shots catching bad lies. An over ambitious little pitch shot when he probably should have settled for a 5. And bang 3 shots gone. On the back nine of a major. :eek: So while he's definitely back, he's not back to what he was. Young Tiger would never have given 3 shots away on a Sunday afternoon.

Delighted for Molinari though. He deserved one the way he's playing for quite some time.
    After the famous chip in on 16th at the masters in 2005 ,tiger bogeys 17 and and 18. So young tiger did give shots away.Tiger won in a play off.Choke..,absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tiger looking so good out there

Rikand wrote: »
    Tiger looking so good out there

Bad day on the greens though, cant seem to get the ball to the hole.

Hoping for a weekend like he had at the Open!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

He’s having a mare today!

Note sure why no one is talking about Tiger and instead talking about Rory, but damn he is hitting those irons well.
    If he could just tame the big stick a little bit he would be well in front.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Everyone knows Tiger's not going to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Everyone knows Tiger's not going to win.

He is all over the shop

18 handicap stuff

left right left
    fore

Advertisement