Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

jj72 wrote: »
    I have seen this mentioned over and over again. The leaderboard has logic. If two people are say -7, then the last person to get to that score is higher up than the previous player. Maybe you just think Tiger is always on top, but the reality is that he probably just made birdie so his name gets bumped to the top of the -7's.
    Also the first player in the clubhouse on a score will remain the highest on the leaderboard and so on. That's how they determine the order of play the following day so they must have logic and not just pick and choose who goes where on the leaderboard.

Note... I could be talking complete garbage but i'm almost kinda fairly half certain that's how it works
    Close but not quite accurate.

Say 5 players are on -5, their place on the course determines who comes first on leaderboard. The closer to finished you are the higher up the leaderboard you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What does get on my nerves, isn't necessarily Woods, far from it, but section of Woods's fans, who treat the game of golf that it should revolve around him only and have a knack of being disrespectful to other golfers, like the top rated comments in the Guardian, BBC etc "Woods is the story, Koepka is just the result" "All the golfers are just extra's when Tiger's in town" and constant wall to wall coverage even when he's nowhere near the top of the leaderboard.

"Woods = Golf!" "If Woods isn't playing Golf isn't worth watching for me".

I actually enjoyed watching Woods on Sunday, how couldn't you? Some of his iron shots were delicious. But some of his fans (and I'm certainly not saying anyone on here) can be pretty obnoxious, and they're not really Golf fans, and they can be quite rude and abusive to anyone who disrespects their messiah.

Love Woods's Golf - but the circus that surrounds him sometimes for neutral golf fans who like other golf fans can be incredibly annoying.

A fair point, but I don't think Woods holds the blame for that.
    I better clarify it.

Yes mathematically he didn't in the end - "pull away".

But he was playing so within himself and protecting his lead - he was playing last few holes knowing what he needed to do and did it with ease.
    So he didn't pull away in any sense of the word!

Playing "so within himself"?
    Is that why he poked an iron up 18? Koepka wasn't playing within himself at all, he arguably should have been once it was clear he wasnt going to be caught but he didnt.

What could he have done to be more aggressive in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Close but not quite accurate.

Say 5 players are on -5, their place on the course determines who comes first on leaderboard. The closer to finished you are the higher up the leaderboard you are.

Ahh ffs how did I not realise that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Note... I could be talking complete garbage but i'm almost kinda fairly half certain that's how it works

No you're not talking rubbish and there is a method to how they show the leaderboards...usually. But with Tiger they almost always put him at the top if tied, regardless of where he is on the course. I've noticed this several times. Because ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fullstop wrote: »

No you're not talking rubbish and there is a method to how they show the leaderboards...usually. But with Tiger they almost always put him at the top if tied, regardless of where he is on the course. I've noticed this several times. Because ratings.
    Yes, its been like that for years. Its a small thing but an illustration of how the US media does anything it can to push him. (I once heard a US TV sports report that consistent of "and at the xxxx tournament, Tiger Woods is 2 shots off the lead". That was all.)

There are more serious (and potentially sinister) examples. Next time he hits one into the gallery off the tee, note if the cameras try to see where it finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

GreeBo wrote: »
    A fair point, but I don't think Woods holds the blame for that.

So he didn't pull away in any sense of the word!

Playing "so within himself"?
    Is that why he poked an iron up 18? Koepka wasn't playing within himself at all, he arguably should have been once it was clear he wasnt going to be caught but he didnt.

What could he have done to be more aggressive in your opinion?

Koepka had strokes gained total of 3.3 on Sunday. That means he did pull away from the field. If his strokes gained was 0 then he wouldn’t have pulled away from the field. That would have allowed about 20 players to shot the low score of the day and catch him. However by pulling away from the field, only 3 players could reasonably have caught him with the best round of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

tin_foil_hat-218x300.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

That's adding nothing to the debate, so don't do that. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

tobsey wrote: »
    Koepka had strokes gained total of 3.3 on Sunday. That means he did pull away from the field. If his strokes gained was 0 then he wouldn’t have pulled away from the field. That would have allowed about 20 players to shot the low score of the day and catch him. However by pulling away from the field, only 3 players could reasonably have caught him with the best round of the day.

Good call - looked at it again.

He gained strokes on 6 of the other 8 players in the top 9.

The only players to equal or gain on him were Woods and T Pieters equaled.

Anyone can go out and shoot the lights out and that was Tigers lowest ever final round. Even with Tiger having a lowest ever round he finished 2 back.

But I still think Tiger has a massive task to get up there again. His front 9 could easily have been a 40 + strokes. He genuinely was very erratic.

His driving is very very poor and he is swinging very very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

A major win by Tiger - will be all the more remarkable because of that.
    I'll even put my neck out and say we may have seen the best of the Tiger comeback. I'm not sure he will ever get as close again. You can quote me on that when he wins :)

These guys are savage - and birdie machines coming down the close when needed.

We have had an enjoyable few months of Tiger - but I can't see this being a prolonged comeback.

You don't think he is trending in the right direction? A year ago he had trouble walking yet alone swinging a club. He was ranked 1100+.

His comeback thus far has been remarkable. Honestly if someone was to offer me a free €1000 bet right now, regardless of odds, on the winner of the 2019 Masters... without hesitation I would pick Tiger. That's not me being blinded by being a fan.. plenty of things I don't like about him (spitting, not shouting fore etc.) but he is definitely trending and a win will come soon.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    A major win by Tiger - will be all the more remarkable because of that.
    I'll even put my neck out and say we may have seen the best of the Tiger comeback. I'm not sure he will ever get as close again. You can quote me on that when he wins :)

These guys are savage - and birdie machines coming down the close when needed.

We have had an enjoyable few months of Tiger - but I can't see this being a prolonged comeback.

You don't think he is trending in the right direction? A year ago he had trouble walking yet alone swinging a club. He was ranked 1100+.

His comeback thus far has been remarkable. Honestly if someone was to offer me a free €1000 bet right now, regardless of odds, on the winner of the 2019 Masters... without hesitation I would pick Tiger. That's not me being blinded by being a fan.. plenty of things I don't like about him (spitting, not shouting fore etc.) but he is definitely trending and a win will come soon.

Any player capable of a top 10 finish is capable of winning. Tiger is not short on desire or determination and he is unlikely to freeze in the spotlight.

But I think the (understandable) hype and razzamatazz might be diverting attention away from some weaknesses that tend to emerge when the heat is on, especially with the driver.

He'd be a Wild Card for the RC for commercial reasons anyway but his form is good enough to make it easy for Furyk. I don't mind; Paris is exactly the kind of course to ask the hard questions off the tee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What do ye reckon is more likely, equalling Snead's record or winning another major, both, or neither?

I definitely think he can win another few tour events, especially if he improves his driving even to the point where it's half decent. I'd love to see another major win but with the depth of talent out there it's a big ask for me. I wouldn't bet against him though, his will to win is something else.

Tiger seemingly being back at full fitness definitely makes things more interesting anyhow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First Up wrote: »
    There are more serious (and potentially sinister) examples. Next time he hits one into the gallery off the tee, note if the cameras try to see where it finishes.

Please stop, please!

This is peak aliens built the pyramids

ForeRight wrote: »

Please stop, please!

This is peak aliens built the pyramids

Just look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Just look.

No. I suspect the channels covering the sport don't believe that showing footage of a ball striking/injuring a spectator makes for good tv viewing, no matter who the player is. They go back when the ball has come to rest/when player is about to take shot.

davo10 wrote: »
    Just look.

No. I suspect the channels covering the sport don't believe that showing footage of a ball striking/injuring a spectator makes for good tv viewing, no matter who the player is. They go back when the ball has come to rest/when player is about to take shot.
    That would be fine if the coverage of all errant shots was the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You have to stop with the conspiracy theories.

davo10 wrote: »

You have to stop with the conspiracy theories.

Why not watch and decide for yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Read Haneys book whilst on holiday. Whilst it is definitely a bit self indulgent & plenty of hindsight thrown in, a lot of what he said about tigers game holds true.

Basically that he is probably the best iron player of all time but that he had year in him with the driver & that it would be the biggest issue for him to solve to have a realistic chance at the records

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

People don't actually believe this do they?!

• Advertisement

eoghan104 wrote: »
    People don't actually believe this do they?!
    They should because it has been the case for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Surely you would have something to show us as evidence of this?

PARlance wrote: »

Surely you would have something to show us as evidence of this?
    I don't keep recordings of PGA tour events but next time you are watching one, keep an eye on how closely the cameras try to track errant shots and where they finish. And compare how they do so for Tiger and for other players.

I don't keep recordings of PGA tour events but next time you are watching one, keep an eye on how closely the cameras try to track errant shots and where they finish. And compare how they do so for Tiger and for other players.

What was different about 17th on Sunday?

Normally when people have a theory, they have something to back it up. The "wait and see" argument isn't going to convince doubters. Have you any examples you can recall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

They'd have never shown any of Tigers tee shots from the front 9 last Sunday if this was the case :rolleyes:

(Am I doing this right?)

What was different about 17th on Sunday?

Normally when people have a theory, they have something to back it up. The "wait and see" argument isn't going to convince doubters. Have you any examples you can recall?
    Just keep it in mind when next watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

martinkop wrote: »

Here's the only thing I can find... it's one more than some, at least.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-2000-pga-mysterious-tee-shot/amp

From 18 years ago, definitely seems like there was some form of inference but you can't tell for sure and I'm don't think anyone would pin it on the PGA/TV etc, just an idiotic fan at best.

I'm amazed that people can't provide a bit of evidence to their theories. In the day and age, a screenshot of an erroneous leader board propping Tiger up.

As for Media just announcing "Tiger is X shots back at the Y Tournament"... That's completely normal. Tiger sells. Just like Today FM or the likes will give a listing of how the Irish lads are doing. People want to know.

• Advertisement

martinkop wrote: »

Here's the only thing I can find... it's one more than some, at least.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-2000-pga-mysterious-tee-shot/amp

From 18 years ago, definitely seems like there was some form of inference but you can't tell for sure and I'm don't think anyone would pin it on the PGA/TV etc, just an idiotic fan at best.

I'm amazed that people can't provide a bit of evidence to their theories. In the day and age, a screenshot of an erroneous leader board propping Tiger up.

As for Media just announcing "Tiger is X shots back at the Y Tournament"... That's completely normal. Tiger sells. Just like Today FM or the likes will give a listing of how the Irish lads are doing. People want to know.
    I'm not accusing TV companies of conspiracy. Its simply that they (like everyone who ever attended a tournament with Tiger in it) know that some in his gallery are prone to getting involved more than they should. They just don't want to confront it. I've marshalled at tournaments with Tiger playing.

The leaderboard thing has been obvious and indisputable for years. Tiger is always shown first of players on the same score. The standard practice of ranking by number of holes played is not applied to him.

Of course people want to know how he is doing but real golf fans want to know more than that.

Advertisement