Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Are people actually getting worked up about Tiger being shown on a leaderboard ahead of someone else on the same score? I have no idea if its true but who in the name of god gives a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    The leaderboard thing has been obvious and indisputable for years. Tiger is always shown first of players on the same score. The standard practice of ranking by number of holes played is not applied to him.

hqdefault.jpg

vlcsnap-2018-07-22-15h17m55s153_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRf-JwjkUI04RQsPVbslsYCM-zER0ku68jdCGz75E2mI.png

leaders_4_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqvAxBzQt3PUdWagt7QmuukZOMikQE45jxr-c8o1gaefU.PNG

leaders_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq7MPt_OCrtr4knfSSWUOvHwbpwqYBK3KTcistbw9o_hM.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

kiers47 wrote: »
    Are people actually getting worked up about Tiger being shown on a leaderboard ahead of someone else on the same score? I have no idea if its true but who in the name of god gives a crap.
    If you have no idea if its true then you haven't been paying attention. Nobody is getting worked up about it. Its just an illustration of the media favouritism he enjoys.

If you have no idea if its true then you haven't been paying attention. Nobody is getting worked up about it. Its just an illustration of the media favouritism he enjoys.

I have no idea its true because i couldn't care less and i have better things to be doing with my time than to be indulging some conspiracy theories. But whatever gets you off i suppose.

I have no idea its true because i couldn't care less and i have better things to be doing with my time than to be indulging some conspiracy theories. But whatever gets you off i suppose.
    You found time to debate it so I'll take your protests under advisement.

• Advertisement

I also had to waste time sifting through a pile of garbage here about leaderboards and tv coverage searching for anything intellectual.

But i guess we all have our own battles we are trying to fight.
    Best of luck to you.

I also had to waste time sifting through a pile of garbage here about leaderboards and tv coverage searching for anything intellectual.

But i guess we all have our own battles we are trying to fight.
    Best of luck to you.
    I promise to give your intellectual contributions the attention they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

You have been proven wrong on the leaderboard argument. Do you concede that at least you were wrong on that point?

It's misleading to spout that stuff when it is just a lie.

As someone said above it is ridiculous to even care but I can't help myself!

eoghan104 wrote: »
    You have been proven wrong on the leaderboard argument. Do you concede that at least you were wrong on that point?

It's misleading to spout that stuff when it is just a lie.

As someone said above it is ridiculous to even care but I can't help myself!

A couple of snapshots of leaderboards don't "prove me wrong". Anyone who watches golf (with both eyes open) knows that on US TV Tiger is routinely shown as high as possible, especially mid round. If you dispute this, just watch.

I know it doesn't matter but it illustrates what the media think of Tiger's fan base - i.e. that their interest in the game is so superficial that his position on the leaderboard decides if they watch or not.

And the sad part is, the media is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

LOL. OK bud.

• Advertisement

A couple of snapshots of leaderboards don't "prove me wrong".
    Actually they do. When you use words like "indisputable" and "always" and then someone posts evidence to the contrary then you have been proven wrong.
    If you had said "sometimes" then you might have had an out, but you didn't, do you don't.

BTW, if you'd like I could post more, but I think I have proven my point.
    The leaderboard thing has been obvious and indisputable for years. Tiger is always shown first of players on the same score.
    Anyone who watches golf (with both eyes open) knows that on US TV Tiger is routinely shown as high as possible, especially mid round.

So which is it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A couple of snapshots of leaderboards don't "prove me wrong". Anyone who watches golf (with both eyes open) knows that on US TV Tiger is routinely shown as high as possible, especially mid round. If you dispute this, just watch.

I know it doesn't matter but it illustrates what the media think of Tiger's fan base - i.e. that their interest in the game is so superficial that his position on the leaderboard decides if they watch or not.

I watch a lot of golf

And I've watched Tiger since day 1.

And I know how the scoreboard works. If this was a routine action by broadcasters, even without trying I'd have noticed this predisposition to place him further up the leaderboard than was warranted.

Can't say I've ever noticed it.

Not even once in passing.

GreeBo wrote: »
    A couple of snapshots of leaderboards don't "prove me wrong".
    Actually they do. When you use words like "indisputable" and "always" and then someone posts evidence to the contrary then you have been proven wrong.
    If you had said "sometimes" then you might have had an out, but you didn't, do you don't.

BTW, if you'd like I could post more, but I think I have proven my point.
    The leaderboard thing has been obvious and indisputable for years. Tiger is always shown first of players on the same score.
    Anyone who watches golf (with both eyes open) knows that on US TV Tiger is routinely shown as high as possible, especially mid round.

So which is it?:confused:
    I admit that the snapshots provided are the only times I have seen Tiger shown lower than anyone on the same score so I am happy to adjust my claim to "almost always".
    (Which it is.)

lawred2 wrote: »

I watch a lot of golf

And I know how the scoreboard works. If this was a routine action by broadcasters, even without trying I'd have noticed this predisposition to place him further up the leaderboard than was warranted.

Then I politely suggest that armed with the information in this thread, you look out for it.
    And be sure to get back to me when you do notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I watch a lot of golf

I think we've established that it always routinely never happens in most people's heads.

PARlance wrote: »
    I watch a lot of golf

I think we've established that it always routinely never happens in most people's heads.
    Isn't it great that you all have something new to look out for?
    I will look forward to your comments in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

hqdefault.jpg

vlcsnap-2018-07-22-15h17m55s153_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRf-JwjkUI04RQsPVbslsYCM-zER0ku68jdCGz75E2mI.png

leaders_4_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqvAxBzQt3PUdWagt7QmuukZOMikQE45jxr-c8o1gaefU.PNG

leaders_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq7MPt_OCrtr4knfSSWUOvHwbpwqYBK3KTcistbw9o_hM.PNG

That’s sky leaderboard. Show us the USA networks one

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Then I politely suggest that armed with the information in this thread, you look out for it.
    And be sure to get back to me when you do notice it.

I'll look out for it.

I may even report back.

But I'll still not really care either way.

Just glad to see his name anywhere on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

The haters said tiger would never be back, now he is back the haters say his name is too far up a leaderboard

LOL

Trampas wrote: »
    That’s sky leaderboard. Show us the USA networks one

The first image is from cbs.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/video/boomer-and-gio-dustin-johnson-on-top-of-u-s-open-leaderboard/

31s in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

m1ck007 wrote: »
    The haters said tiger would never be back, now he is back the haters say his name is too far up a leaderboard

LOL

I'm a massive fan of Tiger as a golfer - but I think he is a fairly unpleasant bloke.

Don't get this haters thing anyway.

If you don't like a golfer , you can have no valid opinion on him. :confused:

A bit daft.

m1ck007 wrote: »

LOL

I'm a massive fan of Tiger as a golfer - but I think he is a fairly unpleasant bloke.

Don't get this haters thing anyway.

If you don't like a golfer , you can have no valid opinion on him. :confused:

A bit daft.

I'd take the opposite view. If you are infatuated with a golfer you are unable to take an objective view of him.

But my issue is not with Tiger; its the stuff that goes on around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Like the leaderboards, which seem to be correct....

AdamD wrote: »
    Like the leaderboards, which seem to be correct....
    You can hang on to that straw until his next appearance in a US Tour event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think its a matter of you will see what you look out for/want to see.

For starters I don't think there are regulations for this. When people are tied for 5th place they are tied for 5th place and it doesn't matter who is listed up or down.
    'Normal' procedure is that ties are sorted by the hole they're on, descending. The guys who are finished (18) are at the top and the guys who have to go out yet (0) are at the bottom.
    When play is finished for the day I don't know what the procedure is tbh. Order of when they finished the round? Alphabetically? I know it does matter what time they finished on tied scores when it comes to make up tomorrow's pairings. But I'm not sure how diligently that is translated into leaderboards.

For the record I think I have seen both with Tiger. But I don't think I have seen the 'advantage Tiger' sorting in proper PGA events more in stuff like the Hero Challenge or some other second rate event.

In any case from a TV network point of view a positive Tiger bias makes sense. We can debate all day long about his perceived moral standards or whether we think he's spent or not. The fact remains he is by far the biggest draw even today. And that translates into viewers and into revenue. So if some network gets a little overexcited thats hardly something people should lose their rag over. If they do then - well I hate that phrase 'haters', its so silly - but then they are maybe a little bit negatively biased and maybe they should try to get over themselves.

It's a ball game, let's not forget that.

I think its a matter of you will see what you look out for/want to see.

For starters I don't think there are regulations for this. When people are tied for 5th place they are tied for 5th place and it doesn't matter who is listed up or down.
    'Normal' procedure is that ties are sorted by the hole they're on, descending. The guys who are finished (18) are at the top and the guys who have to go out yet (0) are at the bottom.
    When play is finished for the day I don't know what the procedure is tbh. Order of when they finished the round? Alphabetically? I know it does matter what time they finished on tied scores when it comes to make up tomorrow's pairings. But I'm not sure how diligently that is translated into leaderboards.

For the record I think I have seen both with Tiger. But I don't think I have seen the 'advantage Tiger' sorting in proper PGA events more in stuff like the Hero Challenge or some other second rate event.

In any case from a TV network point of view a positive Tiger bias makes sense. We can debate all day long about his perceived moral standards or whether we think he's spent or not. The fact remains he is by far the biggest draw even today. And that translates into viewers and into revenue. So if some network gets a little overexcited thats hardly something people should lose their rag over. If they do then - well I hate that phrase 'haters', its so silly - but then they are maybe a little bit negatively biased and maybe they should try to get over themselves.

It's a ball game, let's not forget that.

After the round, players on the same score are ranked in the order in which they handed in their card. This dictates the order in which they go out next day. This is strictly enforced. The screen shots posted earlier were of completed rounds. They ranked tied players in the order they finished and thus the order in which they will play next day.

Scores posted on TV during a round are a different matter. There is no "rule" about this; just a convention that players on the same score are ranked according to the number of holes played. It doesn't convey any advantage as it has no bearing on the official leaderboard or the order of play next day. That is only decided when everyone has finished.

While the TV leaderboards are of no significance, the point is that for as long as I have been watching golf, Tiger is the ONLY player to whom this convention is not applied. Yes, it is trivial and yes, we all know they do it so the Tiger (as distinct from golf) fans are persuaded to watch. However it is a example of one player getting special treatment and at a minimum is disrespectful to the rest of the field. I don't think that is good for the game.

The screen shots posted earlier were of completed rounds.

My screenshot from the Open is mid-round.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

And this is why Tiger is still one of the best if not the G.O.A.T.

Like the constant, disagreements in here and the belief in that people are right (even when they are wrong) etc, blah, meh.

He has that belief too, but in his golf game.

He will even admit he's played crap too.

Take a note, take a note!

(am I doing this right still?) :rolleyes:

The screen shots posted earlier were of completed rounds.

My screenshot from the Open is mid-round.:cool:
    But it wasn't from a US TV station.

• Advertisement

lowelife wrote: »
    And this is why Tiger is still one of the best if not the G.O.A.T.

Like the constant, disagreements in here and the belief in that people are right (even when they are wrong) etc, blah, meh.

He has that belief too, but in his golf game.

He will even admit he's played crap too.

Take a note, take a note!

(am I doing this right still?) :rolleyes:
    Yes you are doing great.

Advertisement