Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Bid mad he was driving.

He seems to have a mad schedule for a guy in recovery . And with such a crazy schedule. At his level, why is he driving?

He didn't look fit to drive a car the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Whatever did happen hope he comes out of it OK.

As mentioned by someone else, I can’t understand why he wouldn’t have a driver especially when doing corporate stuff like this. I would have thought at his level you wouldn’t be worrying about a 1hr commute early in the morning.
    He was offered a driver.
    He was recovering from back surgery and wanted to do as much as possible for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How is it mad that he drove himself? Maybe he likes driving

Plenty of people would much rather drive themselves than be a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone any idea what the car was he was driving? I thought at first it looked like a new Hyundai Tucson but was wondering why he would be driving one of them as he could clearly afford a big Merc, BMW, Audi or some big American Car like some Chevy Or CMG or something like that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Em, Genesis Open kinda gives a hint as it was a tournament car (Genesis is a Hyundai car brand), looks like GV80 range

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

slave1 wrote: »
    Em, Genesis Open kinda gives a hint as it was a tournament car (Genesis is a Hyundai car brand), looks like GV80 range

I do not follow Golf so no idea there was a tournament on or that he was driving a sponsors car but yes that makes sense.
    I do think Tiger woods is a great golfer and sports man do and wish him a full recovery and that he gets back to doing the sport he loves.

Awe ok. Very good. Thank you. Hardly something to do with the car that caused the accident I wonder.

I knew it looked very Hyundish alright.

You are right by the way,

https://youtu.be/3miWlJXEM8U

I actually thought it was an Aston Martin at one stage because of the wing emblem on the cars door.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

Presumably tied to where the weight is on most swings. On the left side predominantly for short game, and all the weight transfer would be to the left side in your down swing on fill swings?

The power on full swings is coming from loading into the right side, there would be significant shearing force etc. going through the right leg, the right leg takes more force than the left, I would think. I doubt he'll be able to play again at a competitive level.

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone any idea what the car was he was driving? I thought at first it looked like a new Hyundai Tucson but was wondering why he would be driving one of them as he could clearly afford a big Merc, BMW, Audi or some big American Car like some Chevy Or CMG or something like that.
    Genesis gv80 SUV

The luxury $50,000 SUV that saved Tiger Woods' life: Hyundai's Genesis GV80 comes with 10 airbags, a forward-collision warning system, evasive steering technology and an interior camera that warns the driver if they fall asleep
    39705612-9294313-image-a-17_1614164549678.jpg
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9294313/The-luxury-50-000-Genesis-GV80-SUV-comes-10-airbags-saved-Tiger-Woods-life.html

The leg should recover ok much like Hendrik Larson and Seamus Coleman. Its the ankle I'd be worried about. I know a couple of people who broke ankle years ago and still having bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

conor-w wrote: »
    The power on full swings is coming from loading into the right side, there would be significant shearing force etc. going through the right leg, the right leg takes more force than the left, I would think. I doubt he'll be able to play again at a competitive level.
    Left ankle and knee are where most of the injuries occur. Tiger Woods himself has had his left knee repaired in 2008 (twice), 2011 twice had to withdraw because of it and his left Achilles tendon which also recurred in 2012. After that, it was his back that kept him out of golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lip Out

A very good twitter thread from a former pro golfer turned orthopedic surgeon detailing his thoughts on Tiger's injuries. (Click on tweet to see full thread).

https://twitter.com/bambam1729/status/1364583778111393795?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Omar Devone Little

You couldn’t be anymore wrong.

It’s all left side. You drive down into the ground on your left and explode off it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDU5cLIZp4

8mins in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

AMKC wrote: »
    I do not follow Golf so no idea there was a tournament on or that he was driving a sponsors car but yes that makes sense.
    I do think Tiger woods is a great golfer and sports man do and wish him a full recovery and that he gets back to doing the sport he loves.

Awe ok. Very good. Thank you. Hardly something to do with the car that caused the accident I wonder.

I knew it looked very Hyundish alright.

I actually thought it was an Aston Martin at one stage because of the wing emblem on the cars door.

It literally says Genesis on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

You couldn’t be anymore wrong.

It’s all left side. You drive down into the ground on your left and explode off it.

Well I would say your statement of "It's all left side" is wrong, you load into your right side in the backswing, and it's it's not just vertical force either. From looking at some studies online, I am wrong about the greater load, in low handicap players it seems to be 90% body weight into the trail side during backswing, and 110% into lead side during the downswing.

Well I would say your statement of "It's all left side" is wrong, you load into your right side in the backswing, and it's it's not just vertical force either. From looking at some studies online, I am wrong about the greater load, in low handicap players it seems to be 90% body weight into the trail side during backswing, and 110% into lead side during the downswing.
    But those are not the forces that put real pressure on legs, knees and ankles. The lead ankle tends to be rolled in the follow through whereas the trail ankle is easily rotated on the toe and gets no torsional stress. The same with knees. The lead knee gets quite twisted in the follow through and the trail knee usually flexes on the backswing. Transfer of weight isn't the whole story.

AdamD wrote: »
    How is it mad that he drove himself? Maybe he likes driving

Plenty of people would much rather drive themselves than be a passenger

Did you see Tiger at weekend ?

He was in a bad way. The guy is a billionaire. How on earth he isn't been fully minded at present is beyond me.

Particularly if it was a work do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Did you see Tiger at weekend ?

He was in a bad way. The guy is a billionaire. How on earth he isn't been fully minded at present is beyond me.

Particularly if it was a work do.

What happened at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

It might inadvertently be the best piece of advertisement of all time, particularly for safety conscious buyers.

Glad that he's still with us. He's a very, very fortunate man all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lurching wrote: »
    It literally says Genesis on the door.

And his golf ball used to say Nike on it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Having listened to the little drips of Tiger news hopefully he can recover well.
    Fingers crossed for him.
    I'd love to see playing again but he obviously has many hurdles to overcome before all of that.

• Advertisement

I love to see tiger competing, I hate when he is playing bad and well out of contention as the cameras still follow his every shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Feels like a sad end of an era. Yes, he has been written off before and came back in a glorious manner but this seems like it really could be it. Also, his previous comeback and Masters win just enhanced his status and people's interest. Had he not had that crash there would likely have been weeks of hype about his back and will he won't he (play at the 2021 Masters) well that has been emphatically answered now. And he won't play at the 2022 Masters either or probably the 2023 one or probably.....

I still find it strange that he wasn't being driven by a professional and if reports are correct, rushing to an event. What was going to happen if he was half an hour late? He could easily have killed himself or someone else for the sake of it. Then again, he has a history of questionable decisions and behaviour off the golf course.

Jack Nicklaus ended his career with a birdie and waving to the fans from the Swilcan Bridge, looks like Tiger may have ended his trapped in a Hyundai with bones sticking out of his leg.

I feel very unattached to this one - can not put my finger on it. Could be covid. Your connection to stuff is a bit dimmed in Covid (mine are anyway)

But - I had him will written off anyway, in my mind.

I hope he recovers etc - but I was finished with Tiger as a person too - I was only attached to him as a golfer anyway. It was clear his golfing days were done.

Tiger Woods injured in car wreck: Maps, updates, and location of crash site
    2331-tiger6.png
    https://eu.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2021/02/23/tiger-woods-injured-car-crash-updates-and-location-crash-site/4564251001/

More info on the crash for those who are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Locals report regular single vehicle crashes on that stretch. American roads tend to be long, flat and straight. American drivers don't get the lack of grip that occurs when you crest a hill on a turn. Tiger was driving the car beyond his (and the cars) means.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Locals report regular single vehicle crashes on that stretch. American roads tend to be long, flat and straight. American drivers don't get the lack of grip that occurs when you crest a hill on a turn. Tiger was driving the car beyond his (and the cars) means.

That and Tiger Woods lives in Florida and that is one of the flattest parts of America like the Netherlands and very straight roads.
    Also a car he was not used to driving provided by the event sponsor.
    I drove in Florida on a free flight from Hover in the 1990s.
    2 free tickets to Florida with a Hover vacuum I bought in Belfast for £125
    tickets were worth £650 each.:):):)

Belfast wrote: »
    That and Tiger Woods lives in Florida and that is one of the flattest parts of America like the Netherlands and very straight roads.
    To be fair, Tiger Woods has probably driven in every state in the US many times over. California roads wouldn't be new to him. My experience generally of Californian roads is that they are unremittingly bad. That one looks pretty decent, but looking and driving are two very different things. One particular highway I used to drive on had a section on a slight bend that if you hit it at 50mph or more, the car would move laterally about a foot, the surface was so bad. It didn't look that bad, but it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

According to Sky News, "Woods is considered one of the greatest golfers of his generation"

I didn't realise there were so many players with 15 majors and 82 wins in the last 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

According to Sky News, "Woods is considered one of the greatest golfers of his generation"

I didn't realise there were so many players with 15 majors and 82 wins in the last 25 years.

Jaysus they really went on a limb with that statement :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Belfast wrote: »

Wow, this anecdote really sucks

Advertisement