Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tiger Woods Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Belfast wrote: »
    That and Tiger Woods lives in Florida and that is one of the flattest parts of America like the Netherlands and very straight roads.
    Also a car he was not used to driving provided by the event sponsor.
    I drove in Florida on a free flight from Hover in the 1990s.
    2 free tickets to Florida with a Hover vacuum I bought in Belfast for £125
    tickets were worth £650 each.:):):)

Wow, this anecdote really sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

willabur wrote: »
    Wow, this anecdote really sucks

If you like stories, Here's a good one from another forum that I frequent :)

https://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showpost.php?p=56941104&postcount=1732

includes pictures of players playing at the WGC pro-am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Players wearing red and black today in support for Eldrick. Has he died or gone into a coma overnight and on lift support? Will we get this every time a player breaks a leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Trampas wrote: »
    Players wearing red and black today in support for Eldrick. Has he died or gone into a coma overnight and on lift support? Will we get this every time a player breaks a leg?

The biggest and most influential player in golf over the last 30 years nearly lost his legs, even lucky to be alive by all reports. It's hardly a surprise people are showing support

CSWS101 wrote: »
    The biggest and most influential player in golf over the last 30 years nearly lost his legs, even lucky to be alive by all reports. It's hardly a surprise people are showing support

Fine if he was in a bad state and on deaths door. He’s not. Even max Homa says no need to dress in red and black to show your support. That’s just my opinion it’s a bit excessive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Noticed not all ? Even Lowry is not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Fine if he was in a bad state and on deaths door. He’s not. Even max Homa says no need to dress in red and black to show your support. That’s just my opinion it’s a bit excessive

Everything in this day and age is a grief competition, ridiculously over the top, but not unexpected, let's have a minutes applause in the 11th minute of a soccer match for the mascots pigeon who was eaten by a cat. The cat was 11, RIP mascots pigeon, horrible tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I think it’s mostly the Nike golfers wearing red tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Everything in this day and age is a grief competition, ridiculously over the top, but not unexpected, let's have a minutes applause in the 11th minute of a soccer match for the mascots pigeon who was eaten by a cat. The cat was 11, RIP mascots pigeon, horrible tragedy
    Yeah, but don't go down on one knee to protest racism because something, something, 'political'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Max Homa got abuse online for not wearing red and black . Not right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Detour.

Seems faintly ridiculous this red and black thing

Signo of the times I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I'd normally thing that was silly as well, but Morikawa had a good point I think. It's nice to show appreciation to someone who can actually receive it (not dead). They all do play with him a lot too, so it's like a colleague was in hospital.
    Like when Kobe died, it was very sad that everyone showed so much respect and thanks to him, but he'll never know. Not like me to be this soft though.

Woods has single handedly increased golf playing and prize money so much that for him I think the gesture is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

ClutchIt wrote: »
    I'd normally thing that was silly as well, but Morikawa had a good point I think. It's nice to show appreciation to someone who can actually receive it (not dead). They all do play with him a lot too, so it's like a colleague was in hospital.
    Like when Kobe died, it was very sad that everyone showed so much respect and thanks to him, but he'll never know. Not like me to be this soft though.

Woods has single handedly increased golf playing and prize money so much that for him I think the gesture is decent.

Were there many people outside of the Nike stable that did it?

It smacks to me of commercial pressure and to me it didn't seem in any way sincere. Rory seems to revel in that plea to emotion too so it's not too surprising to see him front and centre of that. Possibly unfair but I can't help but be cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ClutchIt wrote: »

He has also put millions of dollars into their bank accounts, I dont think showing some respect was too much to ask them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

GreeBo wrote: »
    He has also put millions of dollars into their bank accounts, I dont think showing some respect was too much to ask them!

Exactly its mad the way people look at things like this as if there is some reason other than showing a colleague that is going through a rough time some support.

Eldrick driving at nearly double the speed limit when crashed has been released

Speed was primary cause of crash. What else was cause

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

The tree

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

He likely mistook the gas pedal for the brakes, as no braking was detected, Capt. James Powers said. According to below article.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/07/us/tiger-woods-update-crash-cause/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Xander10

It's a bit strange they ignored doing a blood test.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Xander10 wrote: »
    It's a bit strange they ignored doing a blood test.

He was going for an appointment at 7:30 which was an hours drive away. He left the hotel at 7:00 and tried to make up the time by doing double the speed limit. Open and shut case really and lucky that he was the only one hurt in the incident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rikand wrote: »
    He was going for an appointment at 7:30 which was an hours drive away. He left the hotel at 7:00 and tried to make up the time by doing double the speed limit. Open and shut case really and lucky that he was the only one hurt in the incident

Is anything open and shut with Tiger?

I haven't been following any of the details but what type of appointment does Tiger have put his and other lives at risk for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

JIdontknow wrote: »
    He likely mistook the gas pedal for the brakes, as no braking was detected, Capt. James Powers said. According to below article.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/07/us/tiger-woods-update-crash-cause/index.html

That doesn’t suddenly make you go 40mph faster though. He was driving way too fast regardless and is lucky he’s not an ordinary punter or he’d be looking at a dangerous driving charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

On day of crash he interviewed with US broadcaster, he had same droopy eyed look that he had on the day he was brought in from being under influence of pills.
    You'd be surprised if blood tests weren't taken after crash, results would have been interesting.

Loads of rumours floating around social media that Tiger is going to make a sensational return to competitive golf at next week's Masters at Augusta National. I have written Tiger's golfing obituary far too many times and have repeatedly been wrong, but imagine the scenes at the 1st tee on next Thursday if the 15 time major legend does tee it up.

If he does play next week, expect the statements from Tiger like "I'm here to win" at next week's presser a common theme. Here's hoping the great man can play and fingers crossed at the very least that he can be competitive. The 2019 Masters win was his greatest victory ever, extraordinary outpouring of joy, it was wonderful to see. Can he make Green jacket number 6? If anyone can, Tiger can!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

He surely can't rock up at Augusta after well over a year out and compete to his high standards.

His jet has landed in Augusta apparently. Obviously up for a practice round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tiger is only playing Augusta to win, and he still can else he wouldn't be there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Playing a practice round with JT apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Last time I seen Tiger coming on stage for Hall of Fame - he didn't look like he was walking great (even if he didn't look great before hand).

I genuinely don't think he has a hope of doing anything. Probably just a ceremonial participation - he won't cut. Doubt he is in it to win it - and I'm impressed he is even willing to take part with no hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If the reports are true that he played a full practice round today I imagine he'll be teeing it up next week. Amazing. I didn't think he'd play again after the crash.

Advertisement