Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Banners!

Options
  • 31-01-2015 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

Boards is now giving communities an opportunity to increase their exposure, with the introduction of customised banners. These banners, one leader board style, & one skyscraper style, will be used to help point people to forums & communities who might not have known they were there at all. They can be animated, or static, & should be humorous, silly, fun, but obviously nothing illegal or inappropriate. If you'd like to promote a time sensitive event like a beers, etc, mention it here & the banner will be considered on those merits. Three banners will be chosen a month, & they will be rotated in accordingly so it's fair for all.

The dimensions of the banners are set in stone, & for branding consistency, the boards logo with the blue background is also fixed. Otherwise though, you're free to design something that, as mentioned above, is humorous & fun, but also serves to make people aware of the forum you think they should be. Lets' see what we can do :)

728-90-boards-blank.png

160-600-boards-blank.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I can see a tetris style one working with the skyscraper banner.

I don't have the skillz to do it though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    I can see a tetris style one working with the skyscraper banner.

I don't have the skillz to do it though.

Or a vertical shooter, like Ikagura.

Ghost and Goblins would work for the horizontal, or anything 2D really, like Fez.

Serious lack of talent at creation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

this might give people a few ideas....

NkSldFC.jpg

Tetris, vertical shooting games, etc, could all easily be adapted to the same idea.

Here's another idea - this time for the horizontal banner ad at the top of the page.

cWGo2Ux.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can someone grab the recent 20th anniversary Playstation mashup wallpaper, and make it into a banner or something similar ?

The likes of this, but if we could get different characters from different consoles, and a nice font.....would make a nice horizontal banner

86022-lineup.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Some more suggestions:

Dav:

337557.png

337558.png

Kith

337564.png

Doctor DooM:

Rf9wyoF.png

D4RK ONION:

337570.gif

mike_ie:

iCzC4kS.jpg

52tew8m.jpg

Here's another one for you - created it last night and forgot about it until now :D

87c1Dyu.jpg

Might give a few people ideas on how to use side scrolling games as inspiration...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Will try some more stuff out later but here's what I have so far:

7XvR9Q2.jpg

Here's one for old school boards.ie users:

ocAL109.jpg

ooqqF6E.jpg

• Advertisement

I kind of went down the rabbit hole here:

fPAF9o8.jpg

j49aJnH.jpg

ybPGowq.jpg

gYm2zxk.jpg

SHTnhNl.jpg

U8Egk9O.jpg

QDrgb2f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

r79lxes.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Some of these are brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I've no talent for this kind of thing at all, but fair play to ye for some of these!

If anyone comes up with something for the PC Gaming forum, I'd gladly sport it!

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Nat82

First the AMAs now forum specific banners. How original!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dair76 wrote: »
    If anyone comes up with something for the PC Gaming forum, I'd gladly sport it!

I'm no artist, but someone had to do it...

337876.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just bumping this, as entries are always welcome :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm no artist, but someone had to do it...

337876.jpg

Popping this one up for June :)

Unfortunately for some of the others the category re-organisation means that the Games > Arcade & Rretro (for example) no longer applies. Although we've already run A&R and GTA and Fighting Games so I think that might be all of the above done except 'Games' which is now 'Computer Games'.

Ah yes... the tired old comparison of PC gaming to white supremacy. What a wonderful way to enthuse people about a hobby dedicated forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's pretty much tongue in cheek these days.

Though i would say that, being a member of the glorious race and all that :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

:rolleyes:

Yes, that's exactly what it means...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

When is the union with stormfront Dav?

Anyone who doesn't realise its a joke by now is in for a shock when they venture into some other parts of the internet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Because everyone knows a joke only gets funnier when it's repeated thousands of times every single day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Precisely! You know what I mean, its certainly not literally aligning PC Gamers with supremecists

Regardless of how funny you find the joke or not, appropriating Nazi ideology isn't a great way to advertise your hobby. I'm sorry if this is a difficult concept to grasp.

I'm from a Jewish family so the humour was never there for me to begin with, let alone after the same joke being repeated ad nauseam for 6 or 7 years by people with zero self awareness.

This is just my take on the thing. I'll say no more on the subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Aside from what Dino mentioned above, the issue I'd have with the PCMR meme is its sense of smug, self-congratulatory, insular elitism. It's obviously tongue in cheek (anybody would recognise that), but really in most PC gaming forums you do encounter people with that narrow-minded elitism, who might use the meme semi-ironically but at the same time truly believe in the idea of 'console peasants'. As somebody with an absolute beast of a PC, it turns me right off engaging in any such forums. So using it to promote a forum to a wider audience might not IMO be the most effective tool, as I know there's plenty of others on here who feel the same about the incessant, condescending and ultimately alienating Master Race jokes that pop in discussions about gaming. It's a joke (and, to repeat, a joke that has been repeated so many hundreds of thousands of times it makes me cringe every time I see it now) that only makes PC gaming and even sometimes more general gaming forums more insular and unwelcoming, to be perfectly frank.

Sorry if that seems a bit harsh on what many do use as a throwaway gag, but I really do feel it's one of the most toxic memes in the online gaming community :o

Where are these banners being displayed? That is one thing that wasn't exactly explained ..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Are you blocking ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

The glorious pc master race pun is/has and will be used both ways, for and against, it's as much a slagging as it is boasting or self deprecation/praise, or whatever else

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Are you blocking ads?

On my laptop, yes, but on my phone I'm not and I can't seem to find anything when accessing the desktop site on there.

Advertisement