Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Banners!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fair enough :p I'm fairly indifferent to it to be honest, boards is the only forum I use these days so I don't see it a whole pile.

I can't see the banner here either, with no adblocker. Though I'm not sure is it on Boards as a whole or just Gaming (General)

Fair enough :p I'm fairly indifferent to it to be honest, boards is the only forum I use these days so I don't see it a whole pile.

I can't see the banner here either, with no adblocker. Though I'm not sure is it on Boards as a whole or just Gaming (General)

Good to know I'm not crazy then! Are they supposed to be displaying in specific places? I can see that they're being embedded here in this thread using the IMG code, but that's it.

Good to know I'm not crazy then! Are they supposed to be displaying in specific places? I can see that they're being embedded here in this thread using the IMG code, but that's it.

They come up in a cycle. Reload the page a few times

I've reloaded a few times and still get nothing but the advertisements. Am I supposed to be looking in specific forums or on a specific page?

Worked for me on the homepage

• Advertisement

Worked for me on the homepage

Ahh. On the homepage. I was checking here and on the PC Gaming forum - but I can see it now.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Well the only place you definitely won't see it is in the PC gaming forum. It should be appearing sporadically around the site over the next month along with some ads for other forums (Archery & Scuba Diving this month). You may have seen some of them around over the past few months on the desktop site if you are displaying ads.

The idea of the ads is to use some of our ad space to promote some forums to drive some extra traffic and new users to them.

If someone wants to create a different version of the ad for PC Gaming, I can swap it out with the one that's up now, that's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If I went into a forum looking for gaming chat and saw that ad for their PC gaming section, I would make a Grandpa Simpson hat grab u-turn and look elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Aside from what Dino mentioned above, the issue I'd have with the PCMR meme is its sense of smug, self-congratulatory, insular elitism.

Is it any different to any of the other nonsense you see bandied about, like fans of one console brand pledging sole allegiance to that brand & none else, and anyone who differs is called a 'fanboy' of the other brand? "Xbox fanboys", "Playstation fanboys", "Nintendo fanboys" are all terms you see thrown out there regularly enough, all contributing to insular elitism, & validation of ones own loyalty to a particular brand. I just see this PCMR thing as the pc-equivalent of that, albeit it's directed inwards, rather than outwards like the 'fanboy' thing. Sure, PCMR is cringe inducing, but tbh, so are all the "My brand is better than yours" arguments, regardless of format...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh absolutely, don't get me wrong, any of that bull**** is obnoxious. Yet Id also suggest that none of the other format evangelists have a single meme or slogan they flock around quite like the PCMR one (which we can't forget is incredibly condescending to non-PC owners too), and IMO the silly elitism isn't quite as common elsewhere (not to say it doesn't exist coughxboxvsps4threadcough). Plus, y'know, the Holocaust references...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly I see a lot more genuine hostility towards PC gamers from console gamers than PC gamers joking about. A few times someone wants to discuss a PC related issue or even just flat out states a fact of how the PC version is better with no hostility intended they get shouted down for trying to derail discussion or told nobody cares about PC gamers or some other such nonsense. There's two sides to the story but I find the console fanboys a lot more obnoxious when they start this.

Anyway that's a totally different topic. I'd agree with Dinorex that the banner is a bit insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Here's a very basic effort, to try get rid of anything offensive from the PCMR thingy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've replaced it with this.

350962.jpg

Don't worry, I've got them sorted. One for PC Gaming and one for the Gaming (General) forum…

PC%20Gaming%20leaderboard%20redone_zpsip8xywg8.jpg

General%20Gaming%20leaderboard%20redone_zpsiii3ekpk.jpg

Myrddin wrote: »
    Here's a very basic effort, to try get rid of anything offensive from the PCMR thingy

^^ This is the final one now.

Thanks kunst nugget :D If you could apply that creative flair to some of the other gaming forums, I might post them for next month. (Maybe leave out the men in underpants :pac:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Probably too late, but for the next time around :)

4gxh0lf.png

Myrddin wrote: »

You should make WASD worn down. Always the sign of a proper gamer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yo dawg, i heard you disliked PCMR so i made you a PC PCMR banner so you can be PC on your PC
    2a7a0_1310235.jpg

Advertisement