Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Single-Player Gamers Slowly Becoming Alienated?

Options
  • 31-01-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

I know multiplayer online gaming is the biggest thing going for the industry nowadays, but does anyone else feel like the people that prefer the single-player focused story-driven games (myself included) are getting a smaller number of choices for single-player games as the years go on?

I feel that more and more online-multiplayer games keep coming and single player games are pretty much "endangered" (for want of a better term) at this stage. Aye, I think there are a few games coming that still focus on the single-player aspect primarily, though Metal Gear Solid 5 is all I can think of at the top of my head.

I feel like there needs to be a more fair balance of both multiplayer and single-player games. I exlude games that do have a single player aspect but has a more focused online aspect (Battlefield and Call of Duty, for example) and vice versa (Dark Souls and Assassin's Creed)

What does everyone else think of the direction gaming has come - and is going - in regards to its focus on online gaming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I do wish single player games would just stay that way. Seems to be a lot of online stuff creeping into the single player experience in recent years.

I'm not against multiplayer or co-operative but i prefer those as a choice instead of forced on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Top of my head.......................

Single player mostly recently

Alien Isolation...... Single player, excellent game very hard like games should be.

Batman origins/ araham city / arkham asylum / soon the dark knight. Single player.

Shadow of Mordor. single player mostly

Civilisation beyond earth. Most people play single player.

Company of Heroes ardennes assault good mix of single player campaign and multiplayer.

All in all on PC it has been a good couple of months for single player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

There's loads of single player stuff. Even the multiplayer focused stuff like cod etc have singleplayer. it's going nowhere and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah for PC anyway, I don't see a problem. I always have a choice of good SP games and many I never reach on. I think all the noise surrounding the MP scene kind of makes it seem like SP gamers arent being catered for, but its not really the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Batman origins/ araham city / arkham asylum / soon the dark knight. Single player.

Arkham Origins had multiplayer. I didn't touch it, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Arkham Origins had multiplayer. I didn't touch it, though.
    I dont know anyone who did

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Wolfenstein: New Order. all single player and one of the games of 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Wolfenstein: New Order. all single player and one of the games of 2014

Oh yeah I completely forgot about that game. I never played any Wolfenstein game in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The last of us one of the best single player games I ever played but I have to admit most games now I only play for online modes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Dislike online. Much prefer a good story.

Wolfenstein is definitely FPS of 2014. Just goes to show what you can do to a single player game if you dont latch on online gameplay to it.

Wish there was more games like that and The Last of Us even though that has multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Single player games are going nowhere. It's true that developers are pushing multiplier, because it might mean that players will keep it rather than trade it in, which keeps publishers happy. It's part of their desired transformation from a goods industry to a service provider industry. There's plenty of room for everyone (often on the same disc). The problem is when multiplier features start penetrating the single-player experience, like in Starcraft II where you have to be online and signed into Battle.net in order to continue your campaign.

The best of both worlds (at least for shooters) would be a game with a single-player campaign with the option of on or offline co-op, an online multiplier and an offline multiplier with the option of either split-screen or bots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I don't mind multiplayer as long as it's not tacked on for the sake of it or to sell maps etc later on. I'm sure we could fill this thread with those kind of games from over the last number of years. It can also add to development time/cost/resources that in many cases would have been better spent on a single player only game.

Most recent example I can think of is Far Cry 4, the co-op I could get but the rubbish multiplayer modes they have weren't even as good as the FC3 ones, and seemed half ased and there for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Single player fans have the entire back catalogue of games going back as far as Asteroids... You'll never run out of excellent games to play.

Multiplayer games require an active user base and active servers so many games are essentially dead after a year or two and only a tiny minority of games will be playable 5 years after release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Akrasia wrote: »
    Single player fans have the entire back catalogue of games going back as far as Asteroids... You'll never run out of excellent games to play.

Multiplayer games require an active user base and active servers so many games are essentially dead after a year or two and only a tiny minority of games will be playable 5 years after release

Thats actually a very good point, but ties in with my point about many MP modes being tacked on , those are the ones to die the fastest generally.

Quality usually endures, only day I was playing Bad Company 2 which is what 6 years old on Xbox 360 and still some numbers playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Personally I love a good single player game - a well developed story with a definitive "end" meaning I can leave it aside with some sense of accomplishment - and from looking at the upcoming titles for 2015 I don't think we have to worry about there being any lack of choice (Arkham Knight, Mad Max, Witcher 3 to name a few).

But, having said that, I'd also like to see co-op available in more titles. The Borderlands and Dead Island series come to mind as games that offer a solid single player experience but with the option to play through with friends. This has to be taken into account at the beginning of the development cycle which I'm sure adds it's own technical challenges but it can be done successfully. Borderlands & Borderlands 2 in particular do this very well and are on a short list of games I've played through more than once simply because of the co-op option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Two of the PS4s big exclusives, The Order and Bloodborn due out shortly are both single player only as far as I know. Then you have the likes of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games (bar Elderscrolls Online MMO) with no MP and Skyrim was very popular on all platform when it came out. Shows you don't need MP to sell a big and successful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Two of the PS4s big exclusives, The Order and Bloodborn due out shortly are both single player only as far as I know. Then you have the likes of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games (bar Elderscrolls Online MMO) with no MP and Skyrim was very popular on all platform when it came out. Shows you don't need MP to sell a big and successful game.

Unsure about The Order but Bloodborne will have a big emphasis on multiplayer in the same way the Souls series has with co-op and invasions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Big Knox wrote: »
    Unsure about The Order but Bloodborne will have a big emphasis on multiplayer in the same way the Souls series has with co-op and invasions etc.

To me I know they are two games I won't go near until the drop in price at the end of the year sometime despite them being hyped as big AAA hitters.

I found all of the Souls games too hard for me to enjoy and The Order looks very bland, missing something.

Never though there was any sort of co-op in the Souls games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You mention Borderlands and Dead Island.
    But I would argue that they are Multiplayer games, best experienced with others.....going through solo takes away from the experience.
    Similarly the likes of L4D, you can play that solo...but it's really meant to be played with others.

There is nothing worse than co-op / multiplayer for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

To me I know they are two games I won't go near until the drop in price at the end of the year sometime despite them being hyped as big AAA hitters.

I found all of the Souls games too hard for me to enjoy and The Order looks very bland, missing something.

Never though there was any sort of co-op in the Souls games.

The souls games are honestly not that hard but they do require you to learn quickly and have patience. They would be fantastic single player games that most definitely could stand on their own but it's the multiplayer aspects that make the souls series so unique and replayable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Big Knox wrote: »
    They would be fantastic single player games that most definitely could stand on their own but it's the multiplayer aspects that make the souls series so unique and replayable!

DO stand on their own
    The Souls games are definitely single-player first, multiplayer-invasions later.
    When I play Dark Souls I have no interest in invading or being invaded tbh.....I'm completely playing for the single player experience.
    I would think most people are too

Its a very rare thing that I would finish a single player game these days. I get so tired so quickly of playing against AI. Its the same old rubbish of figuring out their pattern; rinse, repeat. I'm more interested in entirely story driven single player games like the Telltale games. If I want to really "play" a game, I'd have to go some online games for an actual challenge.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    DO stand on their own
    The Souls games are definitely single-player first, multiplayer-invasions later.
    When I play Dark Souls I have no interest in invading or being invaded tbh.....I'm completely playing for the single player experience.
    I would think most people are too

I have to agree with this. I wish there was no online aspect to Dark Souls. It really takes me out of the experience. It's one of the rare single player games that I actually got a decent bit through. I hated that you pretty much had to summon other player to beat the bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The thing is that a fair whack of Single-player-game-focused gamers are Nintendites, and we're so used to being pushed to the margins that we don't even feel it any more. And if you start to feel it you just pop a couple of 1Ups to take the edge off.

But if you're not feeling the love on your platform of choice, I seriously recommend you check out the WiiU. Plenty of excellent single-player focused games on there, and when they go Multiplayer they go all-in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hated that you pretty much had to summon other player to beat the bosses.

The bosses are perfectly beatable in single player without summoning help.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The bosses are perfectly beatable in single player without summoning help.

I knew someone would come in with this. Perfectly beatable for hardcore gamers like yourself. I don't think you're gaming experience aligns with most people out there. I found at least half of them could not be beaten after multiple attempts. Especially in 2v1 scenarios, they were almost impossible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This topic comes up with relative regularity, and TBH I just don't see it. There's still a huge variety of single player games to suit every taste. Not only with the big budget PC and console games, but portable, independent and mobile games are still predominantly aimed at a single player. If a game has multiplayer elements in a mostly single-player game (whether that's the ghosts in Mario 3D World or the 'choice' breakdowns in something like Walking Dead), then that is absolutely fine as long as it doesn't get in the way whether you choose to or not to indulge.

If anything, it was the local multiplayers that were becoming legitimately alienated - but 2014 saw a delightful rejuvenation there that will hopefully continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A couple of years ago I would've thought so, in terms of PC gaming anyways since I don't own a console (not since the N64 and this used to be all fields......). There was a fairly dull or "meh" amount of good single-player games since MMO's and games like L4D / Minecraft were storming through. I loved the likes of L4D but I was getting increasingly bored with SP games which left me playing through an older catalogue of games for a while.

The past few years have been great though for SP I think with far better and meatier campaigns to them compared to the lacklustre ones that could be completed within a few hours or got very dull and repetitive. Wolfenstein, FarCry 3, Bulletstorm, Witcher 2, Bioshock Infinite, Walking Dead / Wolf Among Us, & Alien: Isolation immediately come to mind in terms of games I saw through to the end and thoroughly enjoyed.

Only problem with some SP games is that they seem to have dire endings to them, with some just suddenly stopping (RAGE being a perfect example of a "Is.......is that it!?!" ending)

Then the rise of indie games definitely gave a boost to SP with some great crackers amongst them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I knew someone would come in with this. Perfectly beatable for hardcore gamers like yourself. I don't think you're gaming experience aligns with most people out there. I found at least half of them could not be beaten after multiple attempts. Especially in 2v1 scenarios, they were almost impossible.

theres a very set "way" to handle the bosses in dark souls, they have an attack pattern and triggers that lead to certain moves being used over others. learning takes a bit of time and Patience is the key, going toe to toe is rarely the answer - and I say that as someone who is still dipping in and out of dark souls on my first playthrough and has yet to complete the game (but I'm nearly there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,889 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Dark Souls games aren't as hard as people make out. I played through them both offline and while yes, there were bits that pissed me off (Capra Demon for one), most of it is well within the capability of anyone to finish on their own if they just stick with it.

The only 'hard' thing about the game is keeping your cool when something pissing you off. Once you do that and don't fling the controller away you figure it out through trial and error.

Advertisement