Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating in The Grange, Stillorgan

Options
  • 31-01-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    We recently moved into the grange apartments Stillorgan, it's underground heating and anyone I've spoken to says that if you have a higher than ground floor apartment then you never turn on the heating because the apartments are so warm and generally those below you turn theirs on etc.. This is certainly true! We are roasted even during this cold spell. My query is really although we have the heating turned off the floor tiles in our kitchen are still warm at certain points of the day ... A few lights near the water cyclinder turn on/off but not relating to anything we are doing/using etc, is there some other mechanism possible that the apartment is being heated and we are getting billed although we have all controllers off? (Yet to get first bill by the way... Should be interesting)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I live in a similar development and I'm 4th floor but I still need to put the heating on, it gets freezing sometimes. I'd question that really. You could always ask in the plumbing and heating forum they are very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 9 evilmf

Hi,

was living in the same development before -- if the tiles are warm then your heating IS on.

Just FYI -- in our apartment the heating turned on automatically also if the controller was set to OFF and the temperature detected by the thermostat was at least 5 degrees below the set temp. E.g. if you have the thermostat set to 20C, and the detected temperature is 15C or below, the heating will turn on no matter what time/settings you have in the timer.

I'd suggest turning down all the thermostats in the various rooms if you want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aber2012

Ok thanks for that. Our controller is set to manual, and for instance when tiles were warm the controller still was switched off, no lights on it, so you're saying even though we've everything turned off it still works away even though there's no indication it's switched on?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

Aber2012 wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that. Our controller is set to manual, and for instance when tiles were warm the controller still was switched off, no lights on it, so you're saying even though we've everything turned off it still works away even though there's no indication it's switched on?

I know those apartments well. As evilmf said above, the heating is controlled by the wall thermostats. If the floors are warm, then the heat IS on, no question.

If you want to reduce the temperature, turn down or off the wall thermostats. There is one in each room and the hallway.

The lights you see in the hotpress are connected to each of the thermostat zones. When the temperature drops below the set temperature, the zone will call for heat and the red light will be on for that zone. I lived on a higher than ground level and heat will be required, probably less than the lower floors, but you will definitely require the heating on (using the thermostats).

A note of warning though, if you do switch off the thermostats, it can take a few hours for the rooms to heat up from a cold start! That is why the thermostats are 'always on' and not on a timer. My advise would be to lower the theromstats a little bit each day until you find an acceptable level of heat for each room. (18-20 degress is probably good for the living room - there is a slightly longer mark on the thermostat dial at 20 degrees and 30 degrees)

BTW, wait till summer arrives, it will be like a sauna in there in the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Aber2012

So we've turned down/off all the thermostats, no lights on anywhere and we are back to acceptable level of heat, still very warm but we are situated in a corner, sun beaming in until 12noon or there abouts... Happy days! Thanks to everyone for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

as a sidenote, at the Grange I see on the lease that inspections take place throughout the year???

is this true? Are tenants given advance notice?

how do people heat their water?

theres a panel where you can set a timer as normal but there is also a switch next to the boiler door that says "water heater", so you can heat the tank by elec or gas?

how have people found this to work? how long to set timer etc

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You sure you actually need to heat water on a timer? You sure it's not a tankless boiler with instant hot water?

i dont know what i have an information is scant! theres a timer on the wall

pressure in tap does drop when i turn it on momentarily that would inidcate to me it is a combi but simply havent had time to check and no info

cheating i know :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement