Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about flue for range

• 31-01-2015 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Ignoramus here, I'm hoping to get a non boiler range in my kitchen, it would have to be a second hand range, something like a Stanley 8.

We only have one chimney flue in the house accommodating a boiler stove, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to get the range installed with the flue exiting an external wall in the kitchen, a twin wall flue system. I've seen stoves fitted like this obviously but never ranges. Is this possible can anyone tell me please?

(Reason I want the range is to save money with cooking and kettle boiling, but moreso because we've had a lot of power interruptions this winter and with 4 small kids the house has been freezing and I had no way of cooking.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

morebabies wrote: »
    Ignoramus here, I'm hoping to get a non boiler range in my kitchen, it would have to be a second hand range, something like a Stanley 8.

We only have one chimney flue in the house accommodating a boiler stove, but I'm just wondering if it's possible to get the range installed with the flue exiting an external wall in the kitchen, a twin wall flue system. I've seen stoves fitted like this obviously but never ranges. Is this possible can anyone tell me please?

(Reason I want the range is to save money with cooking and kettle boiling, but moreso because we've had a lot of power interruptions this winter and with 4 small kids the house has been freezing and I had no way of cooking.)

Yes it is very possible to run a flue up the outside of house only problem is they're expensive you could pay the guts of €700-€1000 for the flue alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The range may not give you much saving on cooking and kettle boiling.
    Re the power cuts, maybe look at getting an inverter suitable for powering the circulation pump on the back boiler.
    You then need a battery and a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up.
    Its not rocket science, may be a bit tricky to get the pump wiring reorganised but its a hell of a lot cheaper than what you have in mind here.

Twin wall flues have a limited life

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Re the power cuts, maybe look at getting an inverter suitable for powering the circulation pump on the back boiler.
    You then need a battery and a trickle charger to keep the battery topped up.
    Its not rocket science, may be a bit tricky to get the pump wiring reorganised but its a hell of a lot cheaper than what you have in mind here.

Would it not be easier to have a small generator on standby in the event of a power cut.
    I imagine a stand alone car battery running an invertor would go flat fairly quickly.
    At least with a jenny you could still power a couple of other essentials at the same time.
    The circulation pump power lead just needs to be cut and a suitable plug and socket put on the line. When the main power supply goes just unplug the pump and plug it into the backup supply source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Lets crunch some math here:
    This may all be wrong but lets have a shot!

Assume the pump is 50 w
    As P = VI volts by Amps
    So for a 12v system them the amperage is 50/12 which is 4.2 amps
    If the battery is 100Amp hour, then it should give 12 hrs to get to 50% discharge.
    A consumer jenny will wake the dead or even the undead.
    I believe the regs a require a switched spur for pump, sans plug and socket.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement