Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG - Antivirus FREE 2015 Version, keeps telling me to update?

Options
  • 31-01-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As the above says, in the past week, it has told me twice to automatically update for improved perfection

I've already updated & had the monthly scan last night!

Anyone having the same problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Many free Anti Virus programs do nag you to update to the premium version. If it gets annoying trying a different anti virus is an option. Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't show any nag screens, neither does Avast Free provided in Avast settings you enable "Gaming/Silent mode"

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

yoyo wrote: »
    Many free Anti Virus programs do nag you to update to the premium version. If it gets annoying trying a different anti virus is an option. Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't show any nag screens, neither does Avast Free provided in Avast settings you enable "Gaming/Silent mode"

Nick

Thanks for reply, afaik it didnt mention the premium version, as it was only a small dialog box, i'll see if it comes up again tomoro & afaik in last year's Webuser mag, AVG didn't come in 1st place, but can't remember who did now!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Have noticed this recently as well with the free edition, updated without realising it was a trial of the premium version. A bit sneaky, only realised when reminders of how many days were left of free trial period.

bodonnell wrote: »
    Have noticed this recently as well with the free edition, updated without realising it was a trial of the premium version. A bit sneaky, only realised when reminders of how many days were left of free trial period.

Something like this pic below, as it comes up on the bottom RHS of the screen & sure enough i thought it was a new way of updating, but instead i went ahead of updating the normal way as i have it on the taskbar.

Sneaky ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Something like this pic below, as it comes up on the bottom RHS of the screen & sure enough i thought it was a new way of updating, but instead i went ahead of updating the normal way as i have it on the taskbar.

Sneaky ;)

It's possibly an update to the free AVG program. I would update it once no mention of premium is visible. Anti virus programs do need program updates now and again

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Sneaky ;)

I got the same popup the other day on my sister's laptop, but it seemed to be a yearly update to the free version. Just make sure you select the Basic Protection, as the free trial of the paid version is the default selection (as usual). I use Avast these days myself rather than AVG and find it to be fine and fairly un-intrusive once you have it in Silent/Gaming mode.

Well that's the thing i've already downloaded the 2015 version, When i clicked on that.
    But has still popped up a few times & instead of clicking on that again, i've just clicked on update on AVG on taskbar y'day, but usually it updates itself automatically when i open up the laptop anyway, that's why i thought it weird the second time, the pop up appeared?

I'll see if it appears again later on.

Well that's the thing i've already downloaded the 2015 version, When i clicked on that.
    But has still popped up a few times & instead of clicking on that again, i've just clicked on update on AVG on taskbar y'day, but usually it updates itself automatically when i open up the laptop anyway, that's why i thought it weird the second time, the pop up appeared?

I'll see if it appears again later on.

That is a bit weird. If it keeps happening, nuke it and try out Avast. Its detection rates are as good if not better, put it into Silent/Gaming mode and you'll never heard from it again, bar the yearly client update.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That is a bit weird. If it keeps happening, nuke it and try out Avast. Its detection rates are as good if not better, put it into Silent/Gaming mode and you'll never heard from it again, bar the yearly client update.

Even weirder, is that it did pop up again & just for argument's sake, i clicked on the update & it installed & clicked on the basic protection again & while that was downloading i get a notification msg on the taskbar to tell me i have too many AV programs running now?

I thought it would have overriden the other one?

& even when you view the AV programs to turn itself on, you see the notification update from AVG in the bottom RHS, but still on the Installed Virus... it's still turned off?

As you said, nuke it/uninstall it, i've also checked Uninstall programs, i can only see 1 there instead of 2?

Where's the link for Avast?

Thanks.

Below are the pics i took:

Even weirder, is that it did pop up again & just for argument's sake, i clicked on the update & it installed & clicked on the basic protection again & while that was downloading i get a notification msg on the taskbar to tell me i have too many AV programs running now?

I thought it would have overriden the other one?

& even when you view the AV programs to turn itself on, you see the notification update from AVG in the bottom RHS, but still on the Installed Virus... it's still turned off?

As you said, nuke it/uninstall it, i've also checked Uninstall programs, i can only see 1 there instead of 2?

Where's the link for Avast?

Thanks.

Below are the pics i took:

Try uninstalling the AVG package completely, run a registry cleaner such as CCleaner, reboot, and install again from scratch. You can download Avast from filehippo.com, its usually in their "top downloads" list.

To be honest, Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 is more than enough protection, provided you run Malwarebytes alongside it. You should never have more than one antivirus, but Malwarebytes is a malware/adware cleaner. Malware is much more of an issue than viruses these days anyway. Cant remember the last time I had a virus on any of my machines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement