Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote question

Options
  • 31-01-2015 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a PC tower in my house which I was to use as a machine I can remote login.

I'll have it always on sitting in the attic / living room.. somewhere in the house.

I'd like to be able to login from my laptop / phone etc.... even tho the tower is in my house I'd still like to be able to access from the laptop as the tower won't have a monitor connected.

Is it possible ?

My tower has
    core i5 quad
    8 gig ram
    win 7

any help would be great.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

and this will allow me to log into another PC even tho we are on the same IP ? ..i assume i'd just use the PC's name ?

thanks for the reply

I can't get it working.. anytime i try to connect to the tower from the laptop it says it can't find the PC.

All i'm doing to try connect it open remote connection on the laptop and enter the tower PC's name ... I have changed the settings on the tower PC to allow connection.

I don't have a user / password for the Tower PC .. should I set one up ?

I suppose finding the machine via remote connection should be the 1st step.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Try the Chrome remote desktop plugin. I used to use Logmein, but the Chrome plugin works just as good on all devices.

• Advertisement

does it matter that the tower is a wired connect and the laptop wireless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

NeVeR wrote: »
    I don't have a user / password for the Tower PC .. should I set one up ?

I suppose finding the machine via remote connection should be the 1st step.

Can you go to to my computer on your laptop and click on network on the left hand side and see if the desktop is listed?

If it is, right click and connect to remote desktop, if it fails due to login, change the log in of your main account on the desktop to match that of your laptop i. e same user and password

neither of my devices have passwords ... I can see the tower now and can remote connect to it.. but it's asking for user / pass ? .. i don't have one.

Should i just create an account for this purpose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

IIRC the account on the tower MUST have a password, and you have to log on to an account that is on the tower. Sort these first.

Or you could try something like Teamviewer or Logmein

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

To use Microsoft RDC you must have a Windows password set. It's a bit annoying, but I've had that issue before. If you are only going to be accessing machines on the same network Windows RDC is probably a better solution. But Team Viewer will also work well, and you can save the Team Viewer password for each machine so once logged in to Team Viewer you don't need to enter the access code

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I second teamviewer, really easy to use. Apps for android as well. My laptop now is an android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard, when i need windows i log into the box and have a touchscreen windows 8 i5.

You can also set up wake on lan and start up the machine from anywhere.

Hey.

I got it working from the home network...

now the next step is to be able to access the tower from work / mobile ..

I left it off today so I can't do a check it from office / mobile... If I wanted to login from the office.. who should I go about it ?

I use to own a VPS and had an app i could remove login with.. they asked for IP / User / Pass... would IP would I use ? my normal home IP ?

would It work or would I need something else ?

thanks.

Hey.

I got it working from the home network...

now the next step is to be able to access the tower from work / mobile ..

I left it off today so I can't do a check it from office / mobile... If I wanted to login from the office.. who should I go about it ?

I use to own a VPS and had an app i could remove login with.. they asked for IP / User / Pass... would IP would I use ? my normal home IP ?

would It work or would I need something else ?

thanks.

Did you try Chrome?

It's the simplest remote I have tried, and works on mobile (native apps).

Did you try Chrome?

It's the simplest remote I have tried, and works on mobile (native apps).
    I didn't.. sorry missed your post.

I will when I put the box back on.. see I can connect to it now.. thats fine.. But I only connected from inside the network ( i.e. in the same house. )

I wanted to test if I can connect from my phone.. but i'll have to test it later... do I just use my IP address to connect to it ?

I didn't.. sorry missed your post.

I will when I put the box back on.. see I can connect to it now.. thats fine.. But I only connected from inside the network ( i.e. in the same house. )

I wanted to test if I can connect from my phone.. but i'll have to test it later... do I just use my IP address to connect to it ?

Gmail ID.

Gmail ID.

How does it work ?

I got the app on my phone.. But says I need to register a computer.

How does it work ?

I got the app on my phone.. But says I need to register a computer.

Open Chrome on the computer and install the extension.

cheers .. got it working ;)

Advertisement