Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware advice Q - upgrade OS or buy

Options
  • 31-01-2015 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm running XP Professional on a desktop DELL Dimension E521 spec as follows
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20Ghz with 2GB Ram (I've 2 empty RAM slots avialable so I could I assume add to the RAM
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Dual display graphics card
    Its used for browsing the internet and word processing in the main so its perfectly fine for that.
    The thing is there is a lot of what I would describe as noisy "disk churning" going on when its working plus the fan is noisy as well.
    Would it be possible to install a SSD in the PC and upgrade the OS (I've rn the Win 8 upgrade adviser) to Win 10?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

LMK wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm running XP Professional on a desktop DELL Dimension E521 spec as follows
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20Ghz with 2GB Ram (I've 2 empty RAM slots avialable so I could I assume add to the RAM
    ATI Radeon™ HD 5450 Dual display graphics card
    Its used for browsing the internet and word processing in the main so its perfectly fine for that.
    The thing is there is a lot of what I would describe as noisy "disk churning" going on when its working plus the fan is noisy as well.
    Would it be possible to install a SSD in the PC and upgrade the OS (I've rn the Win 8 upgrade adviser) to Win 10?

Thanks

That would run win 10 no problem mate have look inside see if fans are dirty. Personally myself if it needed much repair work id be looking to upgrade instead of spending much on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any money spent on a SSD isn't wasted as you can use it in your next machine.

SSD makes a vast difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

System spec is perfectly fine for Win 8.1/10 for casual use.

SSD will make a massive difference as mentioned above; in a machine for casual use, an SSD is of far more benefit then a hardware upgrade for almost any machine built in the last 7+ years.

Regarding noisy fan, you could try cleaning the interior with an air duster, having said that, some stock fans, particuarly AMD ones, are just noisy anyway. If the noise bothers you, an AM2 compatiable cooler should be cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

I would get another 2gb of ram. Should be really cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I would get another 2gb of ram. Should be really cheap.

DDR2 isnt actually that cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you can find 2GB cheap (there are a few people selling them on Adverts around the €20 mark) then grab it. Wouldn't hurt.

An SSD will give you a much more noticeable performance increase though, and as others have said, you can use it on another machine. You can get 250GB ones for less than €100 now, and 120GB ones for around €60 or so.

If you have a look in the "Are SSDs worth it" thread here, you'll see what we - and anyone else who's used one - think of them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've a few machines with low RAM I'd actually get the SSD first. Unless you are using some specific app, that needs the ram. 2nd hand you'd get another 2GB for €20. You might want to check if you have 2x1GB or 4x512mb etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

Mighty - thanks all for replying, I'll get an SSD & 2MBs of RAM see how it goes

Advertisement