Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get great looking lawn

• 31-01-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My lawn is in a poor state. It was covered for a number of years with weed membrane and gravel. I removed that and dug and turned the soil. This was 3 years ago.

The lawn quality has never improved after seeding it.
    I want to get it right this year.
    Any advice?
    Thanks!

337169.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mikeycoz

I wouldn't do anything with it yet. In march or April I would rake all the dead bits out. Then I would loosen the soil with a fork. Then brush a mixture of compost and sand into the loosened gaps. I wouldn't cut it so low. You have worm castings so your soil is healthy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

This website suggests spraying the lawn with weedkiller. Is it best to do this and then reseed the lawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

K09 wrote: »
    This website suggests spraying the lawn with weedkiller. Is it best to do this and then reseed the lawn?
    I wouldn't do any spraying just do as Mikey suggested.
    Weedkiller will cause more problems.
    Good lawns won't happen over a year they need time to establish themselves.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I wouldn't do any spraying just do as Mikey suggested.
    Weedkiller will cause more problems.
    Good lawns won't happen over a year they need time to establish themselves.

It's been a lawn for 3 years now but has never looked good. I will remove all moss/weeds (quite a lot of them!), and then loosen the soil.

The lawn as is is very hard & compact, and the soil does not loosen easily. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

K09 wrote: »
    It's been a lawn for 3 years now but has never looked good. I will remove all moss/weeds (quite a lot of them!), and then loosen the soil.

The lawn as is is very hard & compact, and the soil does not loosen easily. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks!
    Soil density is related to what its made from, if its clay then it will pack hard, adding sand and compost as Mikeycoz said above will loosen the grain structure and allow the soil to drain more freely.
    Enrich the soil and the grass will also be rich and thick.

• Advertisement

OK. Should I hire an aerator to loosen the soil since it is clay and very dense or just use a fork?

Then I get a top dressing. This one? And should I mix it in with Moss Peat?

Once this is done how long before seeding?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

You don't want to use peat moss, you're just adding moss to you lawn, which you'll be getting rid of at a later date, use a good quality sand and seed mix.

Why sand? From what I have read sand does not help in heavy compacted soil.

Would multi purpose compost work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Sand allows for better air movement, drainage, and is a good root-zone material for grass (think golf-courses and sports pitches) and allows for more traffic. It warms quicker too but may also cool faster. Adding manures and organic material isn't the solution to a heavy soil either; it takes many years to turn clay into loam and needs a nice bit of manual work.

Advertisement