Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being employed and self-employed at the same time

Options
  • 31-01-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I have a full time job and I am planning to start accepting some small jobs on the side.
    I am not sure about the income I could expect from this side self-employment (it could be in the 0-5k euros in 1 year or something similar).
    Legally what I should do in Ireland? Am I forced to inform my employer about that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

moonbiter wrote: »
    Hi, I have a full time job and I am planning to start accepting some small jobs on the side.
    I am not sure about the income I could expect from this side self-employment (it could be in the 0-5k euros in 1 year or something similar).
    Legally what I should do in Ireland? Am I forced to inform my employer about that?

Does your contract say you have to tell your employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 moonbiter

Does your contract say you have to tell your employer?

I do not think so, but my employer prepare all the modules for the taxes and I think he needs to know my income to deduct more or less from my wage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

moonbiter wrote: »
    I do not think so, but my employer prepare all the modules for the taxes and I think he needs to know my income to deduct more or less from my wage

Your employer prepares your taxes, etc. for you as a PAYE employee, but any on the side jobs would not fall under the auspices of this, and AFAIK you would need to file for self-assessment on top of your PAYE employment. This would be a similar situation for someone with rental income, for example.

However many contracts do require you to inform your employer both from the perspective of a conflict of interests, but also ensuring maximum working hours per week not being exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

cython wrote: »
    Your employer prepares your taxes, etc. for you as a PAYE employee, but any on the side jobs would not fall under the auspices of this, and AFAIK you would need to file for self-assessment on top of your PAYE employment. This would be a similar situation for someone with rental income, for example.
    Yes, this is the case. When I had some side work I completed Form 11 (using ROS Offline Application). In that form I included my PAYE earnings and income tax and PRSI paid and my self employed income. The form calculates the additional tax due.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's called moonlighting. You'll need to check what your employers policy is on it, but chances are you won't be allowed to work on anything that could be seen as competitive or related to what they pay you to work on (i.e. if it's something where you having the inside info you have would give you a conflict of interest).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You can do an annual self assessment tax return to deal with any non PAYE income. you are supposed to inform your employer about working extra hours as they have an obligation regarding the working time directive.

Advertisement