Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual screens stopped working

Options
  • 31-01-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭

So I just ran into an issue with my dual screen setup.

I recently bought a new graphics card, GTX760, that had two different dvi ports and I only had an adapter for one of them so I could only run one screen from it.

For the time being I just plugged my second screen straight into my motherboard VGA connecter and everything worked fine.

So the other day I managed to get a vga-dvi adapter for this specific port which was dvi-d i unplugged the second screen from my motherboard and hooked it up to my graphics card using the new adapter and it didnt work. A quick google discovered the reason for this dvi-d adapters are basically useless as they are single link and wont convert the analog signal for vga correctly.

So i shrugged and just decided to plug the second screen back into the motherboard however it wasnt getting a signal when ever I powered up. A quick fiddle around and I plugged my main screen into it the motherboard and it wasn't getting a signal either. I powered everything down unplugged it all and put the main screen back into the graphics card and my second screen back into the motherboard, powered up, the boot screen displayed on my main monitor a quick windows 8 logo appeared and then both screens went black with no signal.

I unplugged the second screen from my motherboard and the main screen suddenly came to life with the windows login.

I assumed something had triggered in the bios and went to check but the PCI-E port was set as primary. I tried again hooking the second monitor up to the mother board and the same thing happened again in that the motherboard detects theres a screen hooked up as evidenced by my main one going blank and seems to switch to the second as primary no matter the bios settings however theres no signal coming through for either then.

My main fear is ive somehow borked the motherboard vga port. Anyone any clues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well im a fvcking retard, decided to see if changing the BIOS settings to onboard might help, dunno why it would in hindsight tbh, except now because it tries to boot onboard first and that display wont work I cant access the BIOS settings at all anymore, even the windows troubleshoot restart option doesnt get me there anymore. Will be buying a vga to hdmi adapter on monday to see if that might help me get back in but still any and all tips would be really appreciated

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

VinLieger wrote: »
    Well im a fvcking retard, decided to see if changing the BIOS settings to onboard might help, dunno why it would in hindsight tbh, except now because it tries to boot onboard first and that display wont work I cant access the BIOS settings at all anymore, even the windows troubleshoot restart option doesnt get me there anymore. Will be buying a vga to hdmi adapter on monday to see if that might help me get back in but still any and all tips would be really appreciated

Just do a cmos reset, pop the bios battery out for about 3/5 minutes and then replace it. This will reset the bios settings and should default the display to be the dedicated GPU :) . To sort the multi display issues, go into the Nvidia Control Panel and under displays you should be able to configure them. Make sure to use the DVI-I port on the GPU for the VGA->DVI cable

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

yoyo wrote: »
    Just do a cmos reset, pop the bios battery out for about 3/5 minutes and then replace it. This will reset the bios settings and should default the display to be the dedicated GPU :) . To sort the multi display issues, go into the Nvidia Control Panel and under displays you should be able to configure them. Make sure to use the DVI-I port on the GPU for the VGA->DVI cable

Nick

Thanks!

Advertisement