Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying in London end of April 2015... Please help

Options
  • 31-01-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    My husband and I are going to London at the end of April and will be going to Strood to do some JCB racing on the Sunday, we also want to do some sightseeing while there. I have been looking for somewhere to stay close to London itself but am worried we won't make it to Strood in time on the Sunday.

I suppose I have 2 real questions:

1) how reliable are the trains from London the Strood on a Sunday or should I look for 2 hotels one in London and one closer to Strood?

2) where is a good place to stay I have been looking at the Mercure Greenwich, do they have any smoking rooms?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The fact that the London Marathon is on the last weekend in April (Sunday 26th) may make things a bit more difficult for you. Trains from Charing Cross will be rammed early in the morning, also hotels located centrally or towards Greenwich/Lewisham/Blackheath will be very heavily booked.

30 seconds on the National Rail journey planner gives a fast train from St Pancras to Strood though, taking 30 minutes. Fares seem to be a few quid more expensive for that one compared to the Charing Cross one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Munchkin_C

Thanks Rainbow_Kirby, I think I might see if I can change the dates so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There's a good service from St Pancras to Strood every day. For accommodation try Rochester just across the bridge from Strood. Its a Victorian town linked to Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i worked in strood for a few years. if i were you, i'd hire a car. booking it this far in advance on travelsupermarket would save you loads compared to train fares and taxis, even if you just really need it for the sunday. plus i really couldn't think of anywhere else i'd like to be less while waiting for a train back than strood. the trick is to minimise the time you spend there!!
    the o2 is about 30 mins by car.

Advertisement