Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect Trilogy remastered

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wes wrote: »
    The love I am seeing for Mass Effect online, really shows how EA really screwed up with Andromeda (which I don't think would have been that bad if it was given another 6 months to a year dev time and some more funding) and instead chased games as a service, micro transaction bull****.

They had there own Star Trek level franchise, and tried to cheap out on it.

Can't remember which site did a deep dive on it, but the development hell started really early on the project, partly because EA foisted the frostbite engine on them, and partly because the lead dev decided that it should have an entire galaxy of procedurally generated worlds that you can land on.

Whatever about the frostbite stuff, how someone didn't ring loads of alarm bells over the procedurally generated worlds is beyond my comprehension. How did no one say "yes, we'll have thousands of worlds, but every one of them will be absolutely terrible and completely uninteresting".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah there's a couple of videos on YouTube where people put together every bit of info They could find to paint a picture on what happened with the dev hell of Andromeda. Seems like a lot of internal fighting and disagreements, sounded like morale was in the dumps. The big defense of it always seems to be that people didn't enjoy it because they wanted the ME Trilogy cast but the reality is it was a half baked game with poor leadership and unrealistic deadlines.

Agreed on the No Man's Sky type generated worlds, that is just not a good idea for such a story focused game like mass effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just finished the Omega DLC in ME3. That was a really well put together but if content. It's that the only time we saw a female turian I think? Shame and the ending I got to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I forgot how hard the beginning of the Citadel DLC is on insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, the Omega DLC was VERY well integrated. It actually felt like part of the main story. And was quite a substantial DLC. However, I did feel that the whole "From The Ashes" DLC was a sign of things to come from EA. Here you had a permanent team member (Javik) as DLC.

I bought Andromeda when it dropped in price dramatically after the initial backlash. Played about 10 mins of it before they applied any of the patches/updates and turned it off. It was like a previous generation. I have not given it another chance since. Perhaps unfairly. I know they spent many months patching it afterwards.

I am logged into work now so can't link to the article but the in-depth article was on IGN and was very interesting. As noted above, they spent so much time developing a No-Man's-Sky-type procedurally generated universe of planets that they lost focus. As noted: These types of games are not suited to totally open-world gameplay. Sure, you should have sidequests and optional missions that can expand the lore or help flesh out the game/alter storylines. You can even have DLC as long as it's decent valu/content.

A million planets to explore? No. Core characters at an additional cost for the game you already bought? No.

Hopefully EA will have learned their lessons regarding the likes of Mass Effect (Single player RPGs)..... HOPEFULLY (Although I doubt it). Keep your DLC to your sports franchises or your online multiplayer shooters ('Cos I don't play them :) )

• Advertisement

The Armax Arena mirror match on insanity is impossible. I'll have to come back to it after I beat the game and do it on normal to get the trophy.

It makes you realise just how OP Shepard is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Got this upon release. I had completed it 3 times on different consoles back in the day (PS3, Xbox 360 and PC)
    ME1 is such a slog though, the combat is still rubbish as are the inventory, upgrade and weapon systems.
    Trying to grind through it just to get to 2.

ME1 ended up feeling much shorter than I remember, even with the DLC.

Am I the only clown who did Vega's pull-up challenge?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didn't even know there was a vega pull up challenge. Part of his romance i guess?

Garrus's friendly sniper competition was the best of the lot though. And of course i let him win :D

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Didn't even know there was a vega pull up challenge. Part of his romance i guess?

Garrus's friendly sniper competition was the best of the lot though. And of course i let him win :D

No romance (Liara is the only girl for me...or Miranda...or Jack).

In the Citadel DLC, you can invite him over to the apartment and you go to the gym. He mentions his pull-up record of 182, you can then do 183 pull-ups by doing paragon and renegade interrupts. It takes about 20 minutes, I thought I'd get a gun or mod or war assets but nothing! The devs must have had a good laugh at the eejits who did it.

Anyway, the fun is over...

jOFpyfl.jpg

Time for Earth.

Yeah, i messed up some of the Citadel dlc bits, and didn't end up inviting most people over (bar for the overall party).

Easily one of the best DLC's i've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

J. Marston wrote: »

This clown also did it :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

No romance (Liara is the only girl for me...or Miranda...or Jack).

In the Citadel DLC, you can invite him over to the apartment and you go to the gym. He mentions his pull-up record of 182, you can then do 183 pull-ups by doing paragon and renegade interrupts. It takes about 20 minutes, I thought I'd get a gun or mod or war assets but nothing! The devs must have had a good laugh at the eejits who did it.

Anyway, the fun is over...

jOFpyfl.jpg

Time for Earth.

I did about 20 of them then it occured to me they were probably playing a joke on me. Glad to hear my instincts were right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I did the Pull Up Challenge. I couldn't not do it as I would have felt bad for missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I did it on 3 separate play-throughs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I like James, he's just unfortunate that he's along with all the OGs like Garrus, Liara, Tali so he doesn't stand out or get much use.

It's a shame he didn't have Kaidan's role because James is far more interesting and charming than that charisma vacuum.
    I'm giving Kaiden a chance in my current playthrough, but yes I would generally agree. James isn't bad though, he's not just the musclebound cretin you assume him to be on first viewing.

And his character was properly explored in the anime movie Mass Effect: Paragon Lost :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Finished ME2 last night , gonna mop up the dlc. But delighted all my crew survived mup !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Finished ME2 last night , gonna mop up the dlc. But delighted all my crew survived mup !

IMO it is best to do all of the ME2 DLC before the suicide mission, except for arrival which 100% should be done afterwards.

Trying a renegade run but I'm not being an arse to my squad just for the sake of it to get red points. I'll probably be able to pick up enough renegade points for checks from quests with other NPCs.

• Advertisement

Am I a sociopath for having no problem at all going tough love Renegade with my own team?

fixXxer wrote: »
    Am I a sociopath for having no problem at all going tough love Renegade with my own team?

Tough love is fine. Being a dick for no reason I can't do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm just surprised it took this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Kiith wrote: »

Doing the lords work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Never played these before, splashed out on the updated trilogy a few weeks ago. About 10 hrs into the first, not enjoying it tbh. Seems like a huge chore, story not grabbing me, gameplay is tedious and the map/mission system is awful. Does it get much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Never played these before, splashed out on the updated trilogy a few weeks ago. About 10 hrs into the first, not enjoying it tbh. Seems like a huge chore, story not grabbing me, gameplay is tedious and the map/mission system is awful. Does it get much better?

1 is a chore. The story is great but they throw so much info at you, it's easy to not get a grasp of what's actually going on. 2 and 3 are not only waaaay better games, you start to get a feel of the overall story and universe. Push on to 2 before giving up imo.

No ending percentages unfortunately although I presume Destroy would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Finished playing this last night and it was emotional. All the DLC included really fleshes out the story imo.

It is weird that they really push the synthesis ending which was the same ending that I chose, the first time I completed it all those moons ago. This time I opted for the destroy ending and had enough war assets that the majority of people survived.

Post edited by Mr.Fantastic on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Picked this up for 40 quid in Smyths today. Looking forward to getting stuck in later. Probably my favourite RPG series of all time. I can hear the synth soundtrack from the first game in my head already.

Advertisement