Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Customs tax etc..

• 01-02-2015 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I am looking to purchase an item from a company in America which would normally retail for €550-600 here in Ireland,but because the company buy wholesale,they are selling it to me for $170-(€200). Now I asked the company if I'll have to pay customs charge or something and they said they will pay that too. does anybody know how much they charge,If anything?Now I am totally clueless so if somebody can enlighten me or give me some advice that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Add sales tax for the state the company is in
    Add shipping cost
    Add 23% Vat

Theres no customs duty on electronics though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There's a dedicated online purchasing forum here, look at the FAQ: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=583

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭baldshin

Based on the figures quoted above, and assuming it's an Apple product, I would be 99% sure you're being scammed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Hi,
    I am looking to purchase an item from a company in America which would normally retail for €550-600 here in Ireland,but because the company buy wholesale,they are selling it to me for $170-(€200). Now I asked the company if I'll have to pay customs charge or something and they said they will pay that too. does anybody know how much they charge,If anything?Now I am totally clueless so if somebody can enlighten me or give me some advice that would be great. Thank you in advance.

I bought some magic beans off these guys before Christmas. Should arrive any day soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,484 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

baldshin wrote: »
    Based on the figures quoted above, and assuming it's an Apple product, I would be 99% sure you're being scammed.

I'd agree but for a different reason - that they told the OP they will pay the customs charges. Sounds like a sales operation that will say anything the customer wants to hear.

OP, in general terms, the US (ex tax) price of a current Apple device is in or about the same as the (VAT included) Euro price here, it does sound too good to be true. For example, the Irish price of an Apple iPad Mini3 16GB 4G is €529 while the official US price is $529.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

baldshin wrote: »

This. You either won't receive anything or you'll be getting a fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sounds like a scam to me and something to be avoided.

Advertisement