Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just had my dog at the vet

• 01-02-2015 4:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭

First time poster here.
    Tonight at about 11pm I left my dogs in to relax by the fire. I noticed one of them (Luis) was walking funny but didn't think anything of it. As time passed he got worse to the point of falling over constantly, no balance, seemed terrified of everything and then he started vomiting. Rang the vet and brought him straight to her, she reckons something to do with his brain ie epilepsy, brain tumour or injury. Any one have anything similar happen their dogs? He was also drooling and couldn't control his bowels. If he had hurt himself would it of came on suddenly or after some time.just looking for people with similar experiences. So worried about him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

So sorry to hear this. I've not had to deal with those symptoms, but I have had to take my dog to the vet with symptoms that appeared very quickly and which were frightening. Once you get some firm diagnosis it should become easier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Could it be poisoning maybe? Would there be any chance they could have got a hold of something while outside, either rat poison or even someone deliberately leaving down meat to harm pets? Are they in the garden alone all day or did you notice them eating anything on a walk? I could becway off the mark here too BTW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

Thank you for your replies. I had thought poisoning first and said it to the vet, she took one look at him and said definitely not poisoned. She thought it was maybe a fall or epilepsy but she took a urine sample this morning and said he has a lot of protein in it so she reckons kidney problems. He is home today, he is much better but a but depressed in himself. He has to get bloods done next month because whatever steroid she gave him will stay in his system till then.she gave me valium for him and said if it happens again to give him that and call her and she will knock him out and take bloods and put a drip in. Poor boy really thought he was a goner. He gave me such a fright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It could well be a kidney problem but it sounds to me you get it early which will hopefully make treatment more effective. It doesn't sound to me as serious as renal failure because in my (recent) experience with that, they make no progress and get more and more depressed with time. My Dog did have many of the symptoms you describe along with extreme diarrhea in the final few days but he never came around, and thats the difference.
    It could be any number of things but protein often points to infection so it could also be a bad urinary infection

ryanf1 wrote: »
    It could well be a kidney problem but it sounds to me you get it early which will hopefully make treatment more effective. It doesn't sound to me as serious as renal failure because in my (recent) experience with that, they make no progress and get more and more depressed with time. My Dog did have many of the symptoms you describe along with extreme diarrhea in the final few days but he never came around, and thats the difference.
    It could be any number of things but protein often points to infection so it could also be a bad urinary infection

Ya I don't think she's really sure herself to be honest suppose she can't diagnose him until the blood work is done. I was thinking then maybe he did hurt himself he is known to get his head stuck on things and we found an empty dog food bag in the middle of the garden so was thinking he got stuck in that and ran into the wall or something. So many possibilitys. I have anti biotics to give him aswell so hopefully it is just a kidney infection.

• Advertisement

I must say though for all the injections she gave him, an after hours emergency and an over night stay she was very reasonable in price. And really put my mind at ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just keep a very close eye on him, not to worry you but my partner's family dog presented those same symptoms just after he had a stroke. Now, his was severe, but I am told that there are much lesser ones so it might be a once off. Hope he's okay all the same :o

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Just keep a very close eye on him, not to worry you but my partner's family dog presented those same symptoms just after he had a stroke. Now, his was severe, but I am told that there are much lesser ones so it might be a once off. Hope he's okay all the same :o

Ya I have him in on the couch at the moment. He's eating and drinking so that's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

What age is your dog?

There is a condition called Vestibular Disease that causes the symptoms you describe. It wouldn't do any harm to suggest to the vet that this might be the problem. Hope your dog will be OK !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PUnited

I know this sounds funny but could it be some sort of inner ear infection? that would affect his walking and balance and cause him to throw up?

• Advertisement

My dog is 5. I have to go back to the vet next month for him to get a blood test (if he let's her) so will suggest this to her.

No, no ear infection the vet checked.

He is back to himself anyway, it's like nothing happened ha. I'm praying it was just a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

ceecee14 wrote: »
    He is back to himself anyway, it's like nothing happened ha. I'm praying it was just a once off.

If that's the case it's not vestibular disease as it has symptoms similar to a stroke which would be evident for a longer period.

The Th!ng wrote: »
    If that's the case it's not vestibular disease as it has symptoms similar to a stroke which would be evident for a longer period.

Ya we are a bit puzzled now. The vet asked me to track his water intake and I'm finding this impossible as we have two dogs so he is out most of the day, and when my daughter is in bed we bring them in. The two dogs often share a bowl of water, drink from eachothers etc

Advertisement