Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a newborn need?

Options
  • 01-02-2015 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks!

I'm just wondering if any seasoned moms have tips on what are the essentials for a newborn? In particular, where to splurge and where to save?

We don't want to know the sex of the baby, so I want to keep clothing to a minimum until after the birth. I'm due in October, but am living in the Middle East so the weather will be like spring in Ireland if that helps for clothing suggestions.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

A good rule of the thumb is that baby wears as many layers as you do, plus one. So, if you are in a top and cardigan, baby should be wearing a top, cardigan and vest. I add a hat on going outdoors - cool weather = warm hat, warm weather = sun hat for sun protection and shade.

In terms of volume, depending on your washing/drying facilities, a weeks worth of babygro's and vests should be enough to tide you over until you get to the shops, more if you have to go to a laundrette or live somewhere with slow drying.

Essentials vary from person to person - what one parent finds indispensible, another will never use. But apart from a car seat and mattress, most of what you will need can be gotten second hand in very good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Very little really is the answer. But if you do a google search you'll come up with lists on plenty of parenting website. Most hospitals hand out a list of what you need to bring to the hospital for the baby and for yourself and that's a good list to start with.

Do bare in mind some of it is personal choice though, what's essential to one family is a waste of money/space to another.

You need to think about feeding, dressing, sleeping & travelling in the early days.

After that you can buy as you need as you go on.

I would err on the side of less is more. For example on my 1st baby we got 22 blankets as baby gifts, yes 22! I had bought 2 cellular blankets for the hospital, needless to say I was very glad i hadn't bought any more than the bare essentials provided on the hospital list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 4 and from my experiences you really need very little.

Some babygros and vest,
    Knitted or cellular blankets
    A car seat and a buggy/pram but I would not panic about it.
    SOmewhere for baby to sleep (a travel cot,cot ,or basket)
    Depending on how you decide to feed, bottles.
    A packet of nappies and cotton wool or wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I would say a couple of bottles, even if you are planning to breastfeed. I had been planning to exclusively breastfeed but bought a couple bottles for the odd expressed bottle, but I ended up having supply issues and had to combine feed. Was glad I had the bottles researched and bought. I would also recommend researching formula just in case you have to go down that route, I didn't and the hospital gave me aptamil which didn't suit my baby at all.

Other than that, nappies, cotton, water wipes, a couple cellular blankets, Car seat, buggy and/or sling/harness, place to sleep, and a weeks worth of baby grows and vests. I found baby bath useless, felt I had better control in the kitchen sink until he got too wriggling, now I just get in the big bath with him until he's a bit bigger and then I'll get one of the bath seats.

My extra that I was happy I got? Angelcare monitor - I didn't use it the first couple weeks as I didn't realise it would be sensitive enough to pick up through the cushions we had to tilt the mattress for his reflux. I have to say once I started using it - it's just a huge peace of mind for me and I sleep much better, knowing when I wake up if he's breathing very quietly I just have to wait for the blink to know he's ok.

Worst buy - MAM breast pump. Useless. I love their bottles, but this pump barely got 5 ml of milk out. Though expensive, medela are the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Braun ear thermometer .
    It really is The best thing I bought.
    Before they get sick have a bottle of Baby calpol/nurofen and paralink suppositories in the press. You might never need them I hope but temps will always peak late at night posdibly even at weekend. I had dioralite too in case of stomach bugs. Have out of hours doctor number handy too.

Really all baby needs is well nourished parent(s) who are not totally sleep deprived. So don't forget to put yourself first and have plenty of handy food in freezer.

My babies loved their bouncy chair as they got older they loved the baby Einstein entertainment centre. You need somewhere to put them safely if you need to answer door, pee, cook etc.
    a travel cot or playpen is handy too

Enjoy every minute , best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I hate saying this but it's so individual. My husband insisted on getting a fancy Braun thermometer that we've used once. I found gro bags brilliant as mine kicked off blankets. I breastfed but combined fed first time. Babygros are a must, and wrap vests that don't go over the head. I loved having baby in a pram so the travel system was a must. Also never really used muslin cloths but cloth nappies and wipes were brilliant, especially the wipes. Much better than disposable ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

lazygal wrote: »
    wrap vests that don't go over the head

YES!! H&M almost always have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This is what Finnish babies get:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22751415

Apart from that, love and calm and routine and tolerance and love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

This is what Finnish babies get:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22751415

Apart from that, love and calm and routine and tolerance and love.

That's an absolutely brilliant idea! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a fancy thermometer and between the 4 of them it has been used less then 10 times,obviously if you have a sick baby it is a necessity.
    I have only used the baby monitor a hand full of times but I think the grandparents appreciate it.
    I also love gro bags,3 of my babies were born in January so snow suits and gro bags were great.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have a fancy thermometer and between the 4 of them it has been used less then 10 times,obviously if you have a sick baby it is a necessity.
    I have only used the baby monitor a hand full of times but I think the grandparents appreciate it.
    I also love gro bags,3 of my babies were born in January so snow suits and gro bags were great.

Lol, i on the other hand have snow suits i got as gifts and the tags are still on :rolleyes: I never used one. It really goes to show how much it varies and you won't know til you're in the situation. Snow suits are brilliant if you're putting baby/toddler in the buggy and walking out your front door to go for a walk, but they're awkward if, like me, you have to put the child into the car and then from there into the buggy, they're too bulky/warm for the car, it's safer just to put a thin fleece jacket on in the car and then layer them in blankets or a good foot muff (or buggy snuggle) when you pop them in the buggy to go for a walk.

Buy the very basics you need for the 1st week, the gifts will come flowing in then anyhow, and after that unless you live in the middle of nowhere most things can be got easily enough as you need them.

We walk everywhere:) my baby,2 and 4 year old all wore them today:)
    My 6 year old wants one too.

I have a car but the effort of putting 4 of them in an out is too much for me unless we are going somewhere too far to walk.
    I also have 2 winter foot muffs on the buggy...it was -6;)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We walk everywhere:) my baby,2 and 4 year old all wore them today:)
    My 6 year old wants one too.

I have a car but the effort of putting 4 of them in an out is too much for me unless we are going somewhere too far to walk.
    I also have 2 winter foot muffs on the buggy...it was -6;)

I envy you being able go out your door for a walk. Where i live the road is just too busy, i've only 2 kids (and 1 on the way) but i totally hear you about the effort of putting them in the car, i can't imagine with 4, but unfortunately for me needs must if we want a decent long walk. I can walk a few hundred yards from my house and they get to jump in a few muddy puddles but that's about it :( -6 wow i didn't think it looked that cold out today, i'm in work looking out and thinking Spring has sprung but obviously not :eek:

Advertisement