Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rusty coloured water coming out of rear cassette.

• 01-02-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Hi lads I washed my bike during the week and inoticed that there was brown water dripping out of the front cog of the cassette. Now this cassette has seized and won't rotate. It is the bearings leaking or what is up? Wheels are bontrager and are the cheapest of the cheap.but ideal for winter as they are heavy.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Your freehub bearings or the ratchet mechanism may have rusted - time to visit your LBS.

Side question: why do you think winter wheels should be heavy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Alek wrote: »
    Your freehub bearings or the ratchet mechanism may have rusted - time to visit your LBS.

Side question: why do you think winter wheels should be heavy?
    They don't roll as good and make bike heavier which isn't a bad thing.

Sorry, I don't get it? Heavier wheels roll the same as light ones, they are only slower in acceleration and harder in uphill.

Most people would go for cheap or more sturdy wheelset for winter, but not necessarily looking for a heavier one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Cycling a heavier machine in winter makes for faster racing on lighter yokes in summer or so confucius say.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Cycling a heavier machine in winter makes for faster racing on lighter yokes in summer or so confucius say.

Another smart comment by Doyle. Well done. It does help to cycle a heavier bike in winter I have found. Good for training etc but obviously I'm not in your league or anything close to it.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't get it? Heavier wheels roll the same as light ones, they are only slower in acceleration and harder in uphill.

Most people would go for cheap or more sturdy wheelset for winter, but not necessarily looking for a heavier one.

Well they don't roll well in acceleration and they don't roll well up hill? Are we on to something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hi lads I washed my bike during the week and inoticed that there was brown water dripping out of the front cog of the cassette. Now this cassette has seized and won't rotate. It is the bearings leaking or what is up?..
    Sounds as if the grease in the bearings has washed out. You just need to get them replaced/regreased.

(Did you use a pressure washer when washing the bike?)

Well they don't roll well in acceleration

Do you accelerate hard a lot in training?
    they don't roll well up hill?

Its simply due to the increase in overall mass vs gravity (as opposed to the rotational mass that matters in situation above). Take that bidon with you and you'll achieve the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Hi lads I washed my bike during the week and inoticed that there was brown water dripping out of the front cog of the cassette. Now this cassette has seized and won't rotate. It is the bearings leaking or what is up? Wheels are bontrager and are the cheapest of the cheap.but ideal for winter as they are heavy.

Thanks

Well, new parts will be required. Try and not do that next time. Especially avoid getting a degreaser or strong detergent in their, and dry the cassette meticulously and re-lube the change after a wash.

The heavy winter wheels thing is baffling people. If you are just using the extra weight to increase your strength or effort, fair enough. If you think the weight makes you safer, this is unsound from a scientific POV. The extra inertia or momentum will more than offset any grip gains from the extra pressure on the tyres.

Light bike, good large tyres at moderate pressure is the best for grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Winter has struck. Salt and muck and grit and general misery have infected your wheel.

Has the cassette totally seized or will it just not rotate backwards - ie have you turned your bike into a quasi-fixie? If it does spin forwards, it probably feels very rough if you lift the back wheel by the saddle and spin the pedals. Is there much lateral movement at the rim? In any case, it's an LBS job but a regrease or replacement of the bearings might do the trick. If there's a lot of movement at the rim, it's possible you'll need a new hub (which might be curtains for a cheap wheel).

• Advertisement

Another smart comment by Doyle. Well done. It does help to cycle a heavier bike in winter I have found. Good for training etc but obviously I'm not in your league or anything close to it.

I was explaining what I thought you meant by your post so you can climb down off your high horse and reel in the aggression.

I don't know what you mean about being in my league cos I'm pants at cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Funnily enough the chairman of our club laughs when he hears of people riding what they term heavy bikes during winter to make training harder. He laughs at this due to the fact that in many cases the very same people are over training or indeed training too hard and without adequate recovery. OP, I'm sure this isn't the case for you though.

Funnily enough the chairman of our club laughs when he hears of people riding what they term heavy bikes during winter to make training harder. He laughs at this due to the fact that in many cases the very same people are over training or indeed training too hard and without adequate recovery. OP, I'm sure this isn't the case for you though.

You haven't seen this thread then...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057370676/1

Advertisement