Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which smart phone for my mother? late 60s

Options
  • 01-02-2015 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

she currently has an old nokia, the issue with it is,

bad mobile singal on it comparing to her previous one,
    bad camera
    no wifi/smart.
    its actually a small phone.

so i want to upgrade her, for the very reason of a better phone to take a signal. My own experience on this was last year, i had a samsung galaxy and and would only get 1 bar maybe 2. but with the new LG G2 i got, i have full bars in the house, its the antenna in the phone is better quality im told and probably bigger.

anyway, while there is no need to pay €300 for a lg g2, i need to try and seek out a better phone for her.

must be smart, but will be using very little of the features, web browsing, apps etc. .
    i really only need to enable her to use viber which we are all on.
    good phone for signal,
    4.2inch min screen
    good camera.

any recommedations?

unlocked preferably.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

P_Cash wrote: »
    she currently has an old nokia, the issue with it is,

bad mobile singal on it comparing to her previous one,
    bad camera
    no wifi/smart.
    its actually a small phone.

so i want to upgrade her, for the very reason of a better phone to take a signal. My own experience on this was last year, i had a samsung galaxy and and would only get 1 bar maybe 2. but with the new LG G2 i got, i have full bars in the house, its the antenna in the phone is better quality im told and probably bigger.

anyway, while there is no need to pay €300 for a lg g2, i need to try and seek out a better phone for her.

must be smart, but will be using very little of the features, web browsing, apps etc. .
    i really only need to enable her to use viber which we are all on.
    good phone for signal,
    4.2inch min screen
    good camera.

any recommedations?

unlocked preferably.

Cheap and cheerful. I am probably flogging a dead horse here but the Moto G should do the job. Any of the models are solid and under €200. You can buy them from the UK for under €150 posted or buy in a shop for under €200: if you need to you'll get it unlocked for about €5 online (usually cheaper tbf). The camera is only ok but the battery life is really good. It is also responsive as there isn't tonnes of excess apps slowing down the phone: a friend of mine was impressed with it and he is coming from a Galaxy S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Cheap and cheerful. I am probably flogging a dead horse here but the Moto G should do the job. Any of the models are solid and under €200. You can buy them from the UK for under €150 posted or buy in a shop for under €200: if you need to you'll get it unlocked for about €5 online (usually cheaper tbf). The camera is only ok but the battery life is really good. It is also responsive as there isn't tonnes of excess apps slowing down the phone: a friend of mine was impressed with it and he is coming from a Galaxy S3.

+1 for the Moto G, got one for my own mother (50+ age)
    Great little phone, and you can buy simfree in argos for €189

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=moto+g&authToken=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

+1 on the Moto G. Check out these launchers for oldies too.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-best-simple-android-launchers-parents-grandparents/

Advertisement