Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted thread started by re-reg/spammer?

Options
  • 01-02-2015 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

there was a thread in AH yesterday with a title something like 'top 10 healthy foods'.

I had posted in it once or twice, but when I logged on again maybe 2 hours later, the thread had vanished without trace.

I am speculating that it was started by a re-reg/spammer (no idea who started it, can't recall), and this is why it was deleted. Would my guess be correct?

If so (and even generally if not in this specific case), if the thread is relatively non-trolling/spamming, is there any way that the OP's posts could be deleted, including the first post, but leave the thread itself intact?

I get the logic behind making 'are all women money-grabbing bitches?'-type threads disappear along with the re-reg that started it, but is there any way to avoid it for other threads?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There have been occasions in the past where an OP has been left in place after the poster was banned because it has started a good and worthwhile discussion. However in this case the OP was a serial troll who often re-registers several times a day and has done so for a considerable period of time. Our policy for dealing with him is to delete all his posts when we're banning him, and I'm afraid this won't be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Zaph wrote: »
    There have been occasions in the past where an OP has been left in place after the poster was banned because it has started a good and worthwhile discussion. However in this case the OP was a serial troll who often re-registers several times a day and has done so for a considerable period of time. Our policy for dealing with him is to delete all his posts when we're banning him, and I'm afraid this won't be changed.

Yeah fair enough, thanks for the response.

I was wondering if it would be possible to eradicate all traces of the poster from the thread, while still leaving the thread itself intact....or is that still leaving too much evidence of the previous existence of OP?

I'm afraid there isn't any way we can do that. vBulletin doesn't allow you to delete a poster but leave their post in place, although in this case, even if it were possible it's unlikely we would do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You could restart the thread presumably if you had an interest in the topic.

You could, as long as the forum mods have no issue with it. Although personally I would have thought that this particular thread was more suited to Nutrition & Diet than AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Zaph wrote: »
    ... vBulletin doesn't allow you to delete a poster but leave their post in place...
    Fuck you vBulletin.

Fuck you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

osarusan wrote: »
    Hi,

there was a thread in AH yesterday with a title something like 'top 10 healthy foods'.

I had posted in it once or twice, but when I logged on again maybe 2 hours later, the thread had vanished without trace.

I am speculating that it was started by a re-reg/spammer (no idea who started it, can't recall), and this is why it was deleted. Would my guess be correct?

If so (and even generally if not in this specific case), if the thread is relatively non-trolling/spamming, is there any way that the OP's posts could be deleted, including the first post, but leave the thread itself intact?

I get the logic behind making 'are all women money-grabbing bitches?'-type threads disappear along with the re-reg that started it, but is there any way to avoid it for other threads?
    You made a savage point about Wasabi, didn't you? Now lost forever.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You made a savage point about Wasabi, didn't you? Now lost forever.:(

I didn't read that. I'm interested in wasabi. Don't suppose you got a screen grab?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

osarusan wrote: »
    I was wondering if it would be possible to eradicate all traces of the poster from the thread, while still leaving the thread itself intact....or is that still leaving too much evidence of the previous existence of OP?

I'm pretty sure the other posts in the thread could be moved to a new one

Advertisement