Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastenders [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Feb 2015]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »
    What's Max doing supporting Jack, he didn't give two sh*ts when Max was rotting in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Max the good man hero is planning revenge on everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Max the good man hero is planning revenge on everyone

i thought he was of the forgiving type now after what he done to neanderthal in his hospital bed that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I am beginning to think he may have had something to do with that bus crash (but I hope not as that would be absolutely OTT and highly unrealistic that he could pull that off )

I think its clear Max has an agenda there. I hope he has an agenda with Stacy also. Her characters a£selickery to the Beales is highly unrealistic, especially considering she barely spoke to Jane before all this.

Yes Jane and Stacey friendship is strange considering what the Beales did to Max, I guess Stacey is keeping in with the Beales for Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

That Whitney is some horrible b*tch, pawning your wedding rings to have money for the pub? The b*tch clearly doesn't pay any bills so surely she has money for drinks for nights out. I feel so sorry for Lee. What has she done to make their situation better, why is she never looking for work. She'll go off now running to Mick about Lee hitting her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I hate Lee.
    His miserable moping face, constantly coming home looking down-trodden...sick of him. I was nodding in agreement with Whit when she said he was going around feeling sorry for himself and she's right; Mick is a fighter. Unlike his loser son.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I hate Lee.
    His miserable moping face, constantly coming home looking down-trodden...sick of him. I was nodding in agreement with Whit when she said he was going around feeling sorry for himself and she's right; Mick is a fighter. Unlike his loser son.

It is called depression...........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I hate Lee.

He has depression, how do u think someone's going to appear when they have depression, and he has no support from his wife or family. To be honest Whitney is probably making his depression worse.

Aunt babe had a bit of Romany gypsy going on there , outside the pub shouting "I curse you all, I curse you and your luck" - thats what they used to do years ago they went round house to house selling flowers and you didnt buy one they cursed you and your children and bring you bad luck ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Damn Lee, it pains me to see him do that to Whitney. Even if Whitney wasn't the easiest person to like it would still go down to domestic abuse, and I get the feeling that Lee is going to suffer for it too. Bet you anything Whitney will have a bruise on her face and Mick or Shirley will see it and there will be a big commotion in the Vic. Then Lee will probably be ostracized from the family. They know it was him who organised the robbery so he's already in trouble with the family, but this will be the nail in the coffin for him now.

If you ask me, they could have just written Lee out of the show by having him go to Dover and go work with his friend in security. But slapping Whitney won't get him any sympathy. It just makes him look worse now which I feel is wrong because up until now I was on Lee's side. Even with all his self inflicted misery I think you could still relate to Lee. But now it's going to be tough letting that slide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Baybay

I think neither Lee nor Whitney are sympathetic characters. In soap, it's usually quite clear cut where our sympathies could lie but with this plot, I've changed sides so many times. I don't like Lee but his downfall began to really spiral out of control when he met Whitney. I don't like Whitney but she really deserves some happiness after her early life & clearly Lee was never going to be the the stronger type she seeks. So, we have two individuals with non-convergent needs, each incapable of delivering what the other requires so all the viewer can really do is sit back & await the inevitable implosion. It won't be comfortable viewing, I feel but these two actors can pull it off. Neither is right & both are wrong, in my opinion. Messy but life's like that sometimes.

Eh I KNOW he has depression but it's ridiculous that neither he his family are doing anything to help him.
    I don't want to watch a depressed character for months on end. And this is coming from someone who has had depression..

Eh I KNOW he has depression but it's ridiculous that neither he his family are doing anything to help him.
    I don't want to watch a depressed character for months on end. And this is coming from someone who has had depression..

Well surely you empathise with the character then? Surely you acknowledge what is triggering the depression in this case and that Lee is not in control anymore, mentally. If your problem is with those around him not helping him or ignoring the signs and exacerbating his issues by putting pressure on him that is different. Indeed most viewers are frustrated with The Carters and especially Whitney to some degree in this respect.

The plot is about depression so, hey presto, you are going to get a depressed character thrown into the mix and he isn't going to be the most joyous presence.

Personally, me, I am sick of constant affairs and murders in soaps but, ahain, they are part and parcel of the course.

I think it is just the way you worded your post that displayed a very low level of empathy and high degree of ignorance to the situation, that is just the way your post came across, regardless of your intention!.

I think the plot has been handled well, developed well, progressed subtly and been acted excellently. For that EE should be applauded so give me a realistic story like this rather than a Bus crashing into a crowded confined market square and not one person with a scrath any day

My opinion and I stand by it.
    You have a tendency to complain a lot about the soaps, Talking Bread, so it doesn't surprise me that you're on the defensive.

My opinion and I stand by it.
    You have a tendency to complain a lot about the soaps, Talking Bread, so it doesn't surprise me that you're on the defensive.

I do! But it should show you how good this is when even I am praising it! :D:D

And, yeah, I am defending the plot. I just thought your description of the character's demeanour (and I know it is only a character) was lacking empathy. It is very realistic story, I guess, and one I have borne witness to so I just thought it wasa bit harsh. (PS, I am not having a go at you as a poster, so I would like to think you would concentrate on the actual debate at hand, not my views on other things!)

And, yes, it is your opinion and very much entitled to it, but post something on a public forum, especially something related to an illness like depression and maybe expect to get a response!

Anyway, lets leave it at that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I cant stand Lee and depression does not make you violent, quite the opposite in fact. I like Whitney, she's put up with a lot from Lee and had a hard life too.

currants wrote: »
    I cant stand Lee and depression does not make you violent, quite the opposite in fact. I like Whitney, she's put up with a lot from Lee and had a hard life too.

what? That is very wrong. The impact of depression isn't merely as simplistic as pointing your head at the ground and looking glum. Violent anxiety outbursts, over sensitivity and irritability are very prevalent in many sufferers of the illness and all can lead to losing mental and physical control.
    Lee can't control himself anymore, mentally, and used his physicality as a means to shield himself from his emotions

what? That is very wrong. The impact of depression isn't merely as simplistic as pointing your head at the ground and looking glum. Violent anxiety outbursts are very prevalent in many sufferers of the illness.

That's anxiety, not the same as depression. I know you can have both but I don't remember any talk of Lee suffering from anxiety. The people I know with depression do not lash out physically. Come to think of it the people I know who suffer from anxiety don't either. Lee has always been a violent pillock, you cant blame everything he does on depression TTB.

That's anxiety, not the same as depression. I know you can have both but I don't remember any talk of Lee suffering from anxiety. The people I know with depression do not lash out physically. Come to think of it the people I know who suffer from anxiety don't either. Lee has always been a violent pillock, you cant blame everything he does on depression TTB.

I am not blaming the depression for his actions, defending/blaming are very misleading words to use. I am merely explaining how his actions are interlinked with his depression. Depression leads to anxiety for some which can lead to violent outbursts. Just google depression/violence. You will get more qualified psychological research than I can provide on a post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Lee was in the army too who are trained to hide their emotions so he has a lot of confusion within him.

Very well portrayed by the actor.

• Advertisement

I am not blaming the depression for his actions, defending/blaming are very misleading words to use. I am merely explaining how his actions are interlinked with his depression. Depression leads to anxiety for some which can lead to violent outbursts. Just google depression/violence. You will get more qualified psychological research than I can provide on a post!

Seriously, I don't need to google it. depression can cause angry outbursts- verbal ones. There is no link between depression and physical violence. Slapping your wife because she's doing your head in is not down to depression. Easties aren't doing people with depression any favours with this storyline imo.

There is a link between being a soldier and domestic violence, as well as being a soldier and suffering depression.

The Carters should not keep Whitney around when Lee leaves, Mick needs to distance himself

Seriously, I don't need to google it. depression can cause angry outbursts- verbal ones. There is no link between depression and physical violence. Slapping your wife because she's doing your head in is not down to depression. Easties aren't doing people with depression any favours with this storyline imo.

There is a link between being a soldier and domestic violence, as well as being a soldier and suffering depression.

except there is! So, yeah, maybe you should google it if you don't believe me! I'll throw a few scholary links up if you like?

Go on :)
    I'm actually waiting for a brown soda to finish in the oven, what are the odds? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

except there is! So, yeah, maybe you should google it if you don't believe me! I'll throw a few scholary links up if you like?
    It kills me to agree with the talking bread but I agree. Depression can cause physical violent outbursts from sheer frustration.

why do we all have to be built the same as well - I am not condoning violence whatsoever but some people might be able to be articulate enough to open up and vent their anxiety/depression/feelings whatever ... with some people it boils and boils inside them like a boiling pot and then it takes one trigger of something and wham! they lash out on the spur of the moment because they cannot handle it any more

- all reasonable restraint goes out of the window and its only when they calm down and realise what they have done and what the consequences are after its calmed down, no its not right at all but that is what really happens with a lot of people in real life so in this case eastenders writers and actors have got this down to a T in that respect.

it would be perfect if when everyone who is being riled up and when they are at boiling point walked away into another room to calm down or punched a wall or door instead be we all know in real life what goes on. If they hadnt of done that on EE people would have gone "the way whitney was goading him and shouting at him, he would have hit her by now"

Of course there is a massive difference of someone lashing out at someone when they have depression or anxiety rather than someone who abuses someone on a regular basis or gets fun or a kick/thrill out of someone doing this abuse on a regular basis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

As regards Lee-s depression, surely when a character opens up, sees a doctor and is seen to take his meds, it should show him recovering? It's hardly going to encourage secret sufferers to look for help as it's clearly not working for Lee.
    Why doesn't he look for another job? He lives in London ffs! He has a bit more experience now and it may be easer to find work when he is already employed.
    I haven't seen him hitting Whitney yet but I often have the urge to slap her sappy wobbly face. She annoys me so much! The face of her when Babe suggested she helps in the kitchen cooking to save paying Abby's wage. The pub's half empty all the time. Mick is well fit to cover it during the day and she could help out on weekends. She's a qualified childminder why is she not looking for a job? She just wants to follow Mick about gawking at him. Stupid cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Didn't lee stop taking his tablets at one stage. I remember it showing that but it never showed him start taking them again? From what I remember anyhow! They never mention his depression anymore it's like they have all forgot!

You can't blame Whitney for giving out to him he has lied so much to her when she really needs someone she can trust given her past. She has forgivin his countless times and while I don't agreee with her selling her rings I can see why she did it. She did it for lee not for her! She probably works in the pub for free but it was silly how they dropped her childcare course with no mention. Eastenders does that a lot forgets storylines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

idunno78 wrote:
    Didn't lee stop taking his tablets at one stage. I remember it showing that but it never showed him start taking them again? From what I remember anyhow! They never mention his depression anymore it's like they have all forgot!

Yeah he did. That's when he slept with Abby but I took it he went back on the meds then. It should really show him feeling better after a while like they did with Steve in Corrie - even tho it may be less realistic, I dunno. I don't actually know if he's low because of the money worries and the awful job or if he's still suffering an illness but at the moment it feels like he he's going to be miserable forever.

• Advertisement

him going into work like that in a job that makes him feel physically ill / depressed and cannot stand going in It must be a bit like if your kid absolutely hates school and its getting really on top of them and causing them to want to do away with themselves. If your a parent and you are made aware of that and there is no other way you can make things better for that kid/child theres no thinking about it, you take that person out of that situation ... not force them to keep on going in, not if you really care about them - same should apply to adults. If their work is getting them that down you dont subject them to more of it , life is too short, and its no good when they have carried out / committed suicide saying "I wish we done more when he was alive" or "its better to have him alive and in debt than forcing him to go into that job to pay off his debt and now his dead because he could not handle it any more!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement