Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastenders [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Feb 2015]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I thought Ben booking the ferry over the phone was a bit unrealistic. My kids are roughly the same age and it wouldn't cross their minds to make a phone call for a travel booking. It's all done online.

I could be Bens granny and wouldn't dream of doing on the phone ! Would be doing it all online !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I thought Ben booking the ferry over the phone was a bit unrealistic. My kids are roughly the same age and it wouldn't cross their minds to make a phone call for a travel booking. It's all done online.

I think he specifically wanted to pay by cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,286 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I call it now, Ben overboard from the ferry, dead or missing at sea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I was 9 when Melanie left and I can remember her, I never missed an episode, I remember taping it when I had u-10 football training.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Are we meant to believe Ben is incredibly naive or is it supposed to be realistic that someone who has taken a lot of money and jewellery from some serious criminals would use one means of transport to get from London to Dover? Particularly when he was already nervous, felt he was being watched and someone who he doesn't know suddenly turns up who knows stuff about his Dad who was in on the heist? Surely mixing transport and taking short and varied journeys would be obvious just in case someone was following him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

FCIM wrote: »
    Are we meant to believe Ben is incredibly naive or is it supposed to be realistic that someone who has taken a lot of money and jewellery from some serious criminals would use one means of transport to get from London to Dover? Particularly when he was already nervous, felt he was being watched and someone who he doesn't know suddenly turns up who knows stuff about his Dad who was in on the heist? Surely mixing transport and taking short and varied journeys would be obvious just in case someone was following him.

And all the 'is the cab directly outside? right outside the door?' 'yes it'll be a one-way ticket', super suss-sounding disclosures made over the phone when all the booking could've been done online, or when he could've just hopped on a couple of buses and bought a ferry ticket without advance booking! You'd imagine he'd have more cop on. Poorly written, as are several other storylines currently.
    Masood's character has been destroyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

FCIM wrote: »

I'd like to believe that there's a twist coming and Ben manages to bluff them, but Eastenders writing has not been great so I wouldn't be surprised if they write him as simply being naive. Everything about the heist has been poorly written, which is sad because I was hoping it would make for some exciting television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'd like to believe that there's a twist coming and Ben manages to bluff them, but Eastenders writing has not been great so I wouldn't be surprised if they write him as simply being naive. Everything about the heist has been poorly written, which is sad because I was hoping it would make for some exciting television.

It was entertaining though, it felt like the Stooges were alive again.
    "Halfwit, you shot me! Why I oughta..."
    Mick tries to poke Halfway in eyes but his arm is too sore. Tries with other arm and accidentally pokes Phil in the eyes.

Well, that's what happened in my head anyway.

Seriously though. Who knew Eastenders, the bleakest soap ever, was going to turn into a comedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Gulliver wrote: »
    It was entertaining though, it felt like the Stooges were alive again.
    "Halfwit, you shot me! Why I oughta..."
    Mick tries to poke Halfway in eyes but his arm is too sore. Tries with other arm and accidentally pokes Phil in the eyes.

Well, that's what happened in my head anyway.

Seriously though. Who knew Eastenders, the bleakest soap ever, was going to turn into a comedy?

But a very bad comedy at that.

Now Mel turns up and is involved with gang as well!

Agree with previous poster about Masood. Turning him into a pathetic fool and whilst trying to make it funny its only making it pathetic and silly.

Forget the comedy and silly Mick Cockney talk and go back to what Eastenders was good at.

There is no mentions of Lola and Lexi anymore, Ben could give her some of the loot money

She never comes to visit Billy or dying best friend Abi, it's a shame the actress was axed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

dee_mc wrote: »
    And all the 'is the cab directly outside? right outside the door?' 'yes it'll be a one-way ticket', super suss-sounding disclosures made over the phone when all the booking could've been done online, or when he could've just hopped on a couple of buses and bought a ferry ticket without advance booking! You'd imagine he'd have more cop on. Poorly written, as are several other storylines currently.
    Masood's character has been destroyed.

Completely agree.
    Everything has been so badly done of late especially. When I saw that Ben had the loot, I just thought so what, rather than thinking it was a good twist.
    And then that malarkey last night with Mel taking photos as the cab drove away. Give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

I'll admit the Honey "we have a very special offer on our ribbed condoms" was funny... Eh, a bit late love (if it had been a real pregnancy).

The rest of it was the poorest writing I've seen in ages in anything. From the cheap stereotypical jokes which are becoming a theme but were even crasser tonight (and this is coming from someone who loves things like Dad's Army and Steptoe and Son but there was a cleverness in their stereotypical comments) to the ridiculousness of the Mel on the boat thing, oh and Ciara was there too, to the switching bags in front of a guy who was supposed to be on edge anyway and wasn't asleep, high or drunk at any stage, to the insanity of Ben doing a door to door job on taking money from serious criminals, to Mel being in cahoots with Ciara which suggests to me they're supposed to be having an affair, even to the lack of continuity in the beer Ben was drinking (bitter at first, then lager afterwards)... so so poor.

I go through periods where I watch EastEnders and periods where I leave it alone. I recently came back to it but not sure I'll be staying. Oh... and when did Mel buy the exact same suitcase and fill it with the Walford Gazette, so so realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

I thought that was a really rubbish exit for Ben. I have liked this version with the current actor and I thought he did a very good job with a character that was not particularly likeable. I can’t see him getting very far with that envelope of money. When was the money switched and is Ciara still following him?

Eastenders had a fantastic Xmas day episiode, with the return of Tanya and all the Branning drama but the whole heist story is a complete nonsense. Very poorly written and confusing. I was never a huge fan of Mel and Steve so am not that pushed with her return.

I’m not sure but are Karen’s racist comments are intended to be funny? She never came across like that before. I did like her struggle with launderette owners name, Popadopapoodle😂

Ben emptied his whole room, every wardrobe and drawer . Not a scrap left and it all fitted in one small rucksack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That was Ben's exit? Christ.

Wasn't too keen on Karen's racism tonight, although I guess at least it's realistic, people like Karen are exactly the racist type in real life. Did get some real laughs out of her the last couple of episodes though, particularly the masturbation jokes a couple of days ago :pac:

Not liking Masood's new relatives at all, and calling the police after the child had literally been missing for about 10 seconds is ridiculous, if they went outside and looked they'd have found her straight away. Also didn't like them bitching about Masood to Ian, they've got an extremely strange sense of gratitude to someone who's letting them stay in his home, presumably for free. Also have to echo what others are saying about Masood, it's sad the simpering, sad sack they've turned him into.

I like Karen

Is all the men from Aidan's heist away on holidays with no cut of the loot :confused:

Good on Ben off to volunteer in Calais

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Not liking Masood's new relatives at all, and calling the police after the child had literally been missing for about 10 seconds is ridiculous, if they went outside and looked they'd have found her straight away.

Open to correction but I think that's correct procedure when you're a foster parent? Friends of mine foster, and they readily admit they took way more chances with their own kids than they ever would with those in their care now, particularly when volatile parents and other relatives are involved.
    I agree with most of your point though, they're making for pretty painful viewing.
    I did wonder was Mas's uncle being cute, playing up to Ian to get him to help with clearing away the trees etc... but then he went ahead and arranged a job for him with the man who used their foster child to prove a point to Mas, a man Mas clearly has huge issues with.
    Eastenders hasn't been at its best the last little while, and that's putting it mildly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

dee_mc wrote: »
    Open to correction but I think that's correct procedure when you're a foster parent? Friends of mine foster, and they readily admit they took way more chances with their own kids than they ever would with those in their care now, particularly when volatile parents and other relatives are involved.
    I agree with most of your point though, they're making for pretty painful viewing.
    I did wonder was Mas's uncle being cute, playing up to Ian to get him to help with clearing away the trees etc... but then he went ahead and arranged a job for him with the man who used their foster child to prove a point to Mas, a man Mas clearly has huge issues with.
    Eastenders hasn't been at its best the last little while, and that's putting it mildly!

Yes this is correct procedure with foster children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

That was Ben's exit? Christ.

Wasn't too keen on Karen's racism tonight, although I guess at least it's realistic, people like Karen are exactly the racist type in real life.

And she has a mixed race son!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

It is actually quite racist that nobody ever learned to say Mr Popadopolus (or whatever his name is) correctly. I know when his character was first mentioned it probably didn't seem as racist as it does now, but, even Max ringing him last week could't get his name right. Do we even know what his name is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It is actually quite racist that nobody ever learned to say Mr Popadopolus (or whatever his name is) correctly. I know when his character was first mentioned it probably didn't seem as racist as it does now, but, even Max ringing him last week could't get his name right. Do we even know what his name is?

Dot used to struggle with it regularly.

I dont think its racist at all. You regularly hear professional sports commentators go to shíte with some players names, Greek names generally are very difficult! Often they revert to just their first name and ignore the surname for this reason.

Where I live it would be considered racist to not bother to learn how to say someone's name, especially if that was someone you were having a lot of dealings with.

Where I live it would be considered racist to not bother to learn how to say someone's name, especially if that was someone you were having a lot of dealings with.

It's incredibly ignorant but I wouldn't consider racist . Then people here struggled with my Irish name and I doubt they hated their own race .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It's incredibly ignorant but I wouldn't consider racist .
    yes I agree it's ignorance, Dot has worked for this man for years and never learned his name :( how would you feel if you were on the other end of the phone
    to someone who gets your name wrong every time you spoke to them and you have been speaking them for 20 odd years:eek:

Why didn't Ben ask his bro Jay to go with him

I agree racist is the wrong word, rude and lazy and ignorant work a lot better.

Now where is Dot gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,820 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

can people rewind a bit to over Christmas episodes and tell me why aidan's ex wife told the detective "you get off , I will take it from here" and they did? - is she a high up detective or whats the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

can people rewind a bit to over Christmas episodes and tell me why aidan's ex wife told the detective "you get off , I will take it from here" and they did? - is she a high up detective or whats the story?

I think it's ones of the many mysteries of the whole fiasco and we'll probably never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Why didn't Ben ask his bro Jay to go with him

According to Harry Reid, the reason is because Ben didn't think Jay would go want to leave. That Jay is happy where he is and Ben ultimately had to do it alone.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/12/eastenders-spoilers-harry-reid-speaks-out-as-ben-mitchell-exits-walford-7225190/

• Advertisement

I agree racist is the wrong word, rude and lazy and ignorant work a lot better.

Now where is Dot gone?

Dot returns to try and get Max to let Abi die

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement