Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eastenders [News, Spoilers and Discussion - from Feb 2015]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Timothy West will be a big loss to the show when his final scenes are over, maybe before he goes he will tell Danny Dyer to stop twisting his head to the side everytime he goes to talk to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Timothy West will be a big loss to the show when his final scenes are over, maybe before he goes he will tell Danny Dyer to stop twisting his head to the side everytime he goes to talk to someone.

He is a good actor and made an impact but he has only been in it a few months, so not a major loss by any stretch of imagination. he has been given some strong stories and lines and they always knew he was short term so packed a lot in with his character so hard to know how memorable he would have been if his character was just eased in and he had the same proportion of storylines as other new characters are usually given. Also, apart from the little jokes, if you really consider his character and his history, you wouldn't have much respect for Stan. He has a lot of poison running through him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If there's anyone over Birmingham direction, Charlie Brooks (Janine!!) is playing Sandra in 'Beautiful Thing' at the Hippodrome for another while and is well worth seeing. Flew over myself to see it yesterday.

Sometimes it's easy forget that many soap actors and actresses are really good at what they do.

They are actually trying to redeem the character of Dean. Sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Better than the boring one trick Mick and Lee.....god those Carters are dour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

I always liked Dean and never bought him as a rapist. Writers' fault, not Dean's. His scene with Stan tonight was great.

Kat surprised she'll have to see a psych nurse.

D'uh!

Kat surprised she'll have to see a psych nurse.

D'uh!

I have no clue how she didn't loose her children months ago, the alcoholism monthly screaming fests, dumping kids on Donna/Fatboy

Good mick robbing Dean of saying goodbye to Stan. God Mick's a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

What prompted Shirley to shop her precious son Dean to the cops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Kat & Alfie to get their own 6 part spin off show.

:( Aw, I didn't realise it was only a temporary thing. I was hoping they were leaving EastEnders for their spin-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Whatever became of that key Stacey asked Lauren to mind some months back?

I always liked Dean and never bought him as a rapist. Writers' fault, not Dean's. His scene with Stan tonight was great.

say what??!

say what??!

Dean is never a rapist and that storyline is doing him a huge dis-service.

Dean is never a rapist and that storyline is doing him a huge dis-service.

But the character is now a rapist! I seen it in an episode where he raped another character. I think it has been mentioned a couple of times now!! So very hard now to empathise/sympathise with his character whether you like him before or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

But the character is now a rapist! I seen it in an episode where he raped another character. I think it has been mentioned a couple of times now!! So very hard now to empathise/sympathise with his character whether you like him before or not!

I think what Black Menorca is saying is that the character switch to rapist doesn't ring true for them, not because of a failure by the actor but because the writing didn't 'make' him a convincing enough villian? I agree, for what it's worth.

Maybe you don't know a lot about EE or Dean as a character.

Writing him as a rapist made no sense and was very unfair to his character.

But the character is a rapist now? This is the point. I agree the story was just aimed to ensure a big silly over the top christmas reveal and although Dean had some nasty traits (attacking his mother, date raping Stacey) I thought him raping Linda was a bad direction for his character. But the truth is the character is now a rapist. The writers made his character that. So just because you liked the character as many did before the incident, it doesn't negate the fact that they have made him a rapist now. So to sympathise with him now is very hard/impossible.

I think what you are trying to say isyou wish they hadn't made hi a rapist as you didn't see his character as capable of that before. But that is completely different to him not being a rapist now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

He previously spiked Stacey's drink which indicates he likes to have control and power over someone. Rape is also about power and control. I would say the writers got it spot on.

dee_mc wrote: »
    I think what Black Menorca is saying is that the character switch to rapist doesn't ring true for them, not because of a failure by the actor but because the writing didn't 'make' him a convincing enough villian? I agree, for what it's worth.

I completely agree with that sentiment but the fact is they have written him as a rapist now and they can't change that. Tat is the point I am making. It was just devised to give us that elaborate over the top Christmas episode and it wasn't worth it in the long run, most would agree.

• Advertisement

But the character is a rapist now? This is the point. I agree the story was just aimed to ensure a big silly over the top christmas reveal and although Dean had some nasty traits (attacking his mother, date raping Stacey) I thought him raping Linda was a bad direction for his character. But the truth is the character is now a rapist. The writers made his character that. So just because you liked the character as many did before the incident, it doesn't negate the fact that they have made him a rapist now. So to sympathise with him now is very hard/impossible.

I think what you are trying to say isyou wish they hadn't made hi a rapist as you didn't see his character as capable of that before. But that is completely different to him not being a rapist now!

A word to the wise. I am well able to express myself directly and to the point.

Making Dean a rapist is a stupid move and unfair to the character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Why is it unfair to the character? You have said that a couple of times but haven't expanded on it.

Why is it unfair to the character? You have said that a couple of times but haven't expanded on it.

Dean was a sound lad with issues. A mother who deserted him and losing his father in a road crash. But he always cherished family and tried to do the right thing.

Despite this, the writers took the lazy route to suit a bigger storyline and turned him into a cold, calculating rapist.

I give up. I amn't here to argue over a fictional character! My point was and you cannot dispute this. Dean as a character now is a rapist and it is hard/impossible to sympathise with such a character. That was all i was saying. You said and I quote it was "Writers' fault, not Dean's". Of course it was the writers fault, but the writers write all Deans storylines .

Noone is disagreeing with you regarding the bad direction issue.

I give up. I amn't here to argue over a fictional character! My point was and you cannot dispute this. Dean as a character now is a rapist and it is hard/impossible to sympathise with such a character. That was all i was saying. You said and I quote it was "Writers' fault, not Dean's". Of course it was the writers fault, but the writers write all Deans storylines .

We'll agree to differ so.

By the way, I love your work on Boards. You make me laugh on a daily basis in the FC thread. :)

We'll agree to differ so.

By the way, I love your work on Boards. You make me laugh on a daily basis in the FC thread. :)

Thank you! Im blushing!

So are you disagreeing the character is now a rapist................ because that is all i am saying! In fact you just essentially acknowledged that fact above! I wasn't disputing that the writers done this for sensationalist reasons. But they did do it! So we aren't differing at all!!

Ps, you never gave out to Dee-mc when she said "I think what Black Menorca is saying"!! ;):D

fussyonion wrote: »
    Whatever became of that key Stacey asked Lauren to mind some months back?

Ugh! that still drives me mad :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,444 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is no redeeming a rapist even if it is Dean

The character should not have been made a rapist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Hope they have a storyline where a woman rapes a man. (just to show it)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement