Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Build Costs 2600sq ft

Options
  • 01-02-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I have spent hours searching for a guide to the cost of a self build and to no avail. I invite people that have built already and people that have got quotes to share their info on the cost list. I myself am building a 2600 sq ft storey and a half house. Timber Frame.Just approved planning.

Timber frame with mid range spec - 50,000 euro ,Quote Obtained
    Architect Plans & Planning- 2,600 Fee Paid

Feel free to add

ESB connection-
    Plumbing-
    Electrician-
    Groundwork-
    Slating-
    Engineer-
    etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057198631

Who is acting as assigned designer & certifier?
    They will determine if self-building is possible.

Thank Phil hogan

Complain to Alan Kelly &/or Paudie Coffey

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BOARDHOG

Just another way of getting more money off us.

Currently just pricing and nobody assigned yet. Feel free to add to the list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BOARDHOG wrote: »
    Just another way of getting more money off us.

Currently just pricing and nobody assigned yet. Feel free to add to the list.

We cannot add to the list. The Assigned Certifier has to be engaged first. He will decide if the others can be used hence Ancillary Certificates required.

kceire wrote: »
    We cannot add to the list. The Assigned Certifier has to be engaged first. He will decide if the others can be used hence Ancillary Certificates required.

Sorry I'm new to boards.Ie . Totally lost. Can no one post their info on this site.

Sorry I'm new to boards.Ie . Totally lost. Can no one post their info on this site.

www.si9.ie

You cannot self build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭Casati

I dont know much about timber frame so can't be of much help- I used tradition block built, and guess that a lot of the costs for the other trades would be different as a result, sorry I can't be of more assistance

Ive no idea why you are getting the comments seen above, it would appear you are looking for rough costs to help you estimate your total build costs, and having somebody direct you to a privately owned website with a skewed view of some legislation isn't answering any of your questions

If you wait around a while Im sure you will find other self builders willing to help you

Casati wrote: »
    If you wait around a while Im sure you will find other self builders willing to help you

Thats the problem. Has there been any self builders since 1st March 2014?

The OP is looking for costs associated with self building, it was merely pointed out to him that Self Building is all but gone at present.

Heres the state website just if you are not happy with a private website, even if the private site shows a bit more info imho

https://www.localgov.ie/en/BCMS

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kay.79

We will self build as well. There is additional cost for self builders comparing to what it was before but still cheaper then getting a builder who have to have insurance and receipts for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thats the problem. Has there been any self builders since 1st March 2014?

The OP is looking for costs associated with self building, it was merely pointed out to him that Self Building is all but gone at present.

Heres the state website just if you are not happy with a private website, even if the private site shows a bit more info imho

https://www.localgov.ie/en/BCMS

Well AFAIK S.19 has not been fully implemented yet. Self-build has been allowed until the full implementation of S 19, which is pencilled in for late Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kay.79

Well AFAIK S.19 has not been fully implemented yet. Self-build has been allowed until the full implementation of S 19, which is pencilled in for late Spring.

And after that all selfbuild will have stop their work and get a builder or they may continue with what they started?

• Advertisement

SI9 commenced on the 1st Macrh 2014.
    All commencement notices lodged after last march need to comply with SI9 and thus carry an Assigned certifier.

Where are you getting your Spring 2015 date from?
    kay.79 wrote: »
    And after that all selfbuild will have stop their work and get a builder or they may continue with what they started?

It will depend on whether you have lodged a Commencement Notice or not. Have you lodged one yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

SI9 commenced on the 1st Macrh 2014.
    All commencement notices lodged after last march need to comply with SI9 and thus carry an Assigned certifier.

Where are you getting your Spring 2015 date from?

It will depend on whether you have lodged a Commencement Notice or not. Have you lodged one yet?

You cant not fully implement a Statutory Instrument either!:confused:

cronin_j wrote: »
    You cant not fully implement a Statutory Instrument either!:confused:

ok then, the legal forum is that way
    >
    The rules that SI9 set out are contained in the current Building Control Act & Building Control Regulations.

The point is not the legal process, its the issue of an Assigned Certifier being appointed. In both cases above, they need to be appointed, no mater what way you word SI9, BCAR etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

-snip-
    Might be a compromise solution

The only person who can give you an opinion on 'self-building' is your assigned certifier.

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

kay.79 wrote: »
    We will self build as well. There is additional cost for self builders comparing to what it was before but still cheaper then getting a builder who have to have insurance and receipts for everything.

Can you explain how this will work, especially getting the paperwork to
    a: allow you occupy it
    b: sell it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

www.si9.ie

You cannot self build.

I don't agree!

I am just completing a project as an AC and the self builder is the builder. He has subbed out all the work and done a fantastic job with absolutely no experience of ever building before. In fact he has done such a good job of it that I have suggested he should become a builder. The job is far better than many a job I have seen done by so called builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

y.79 wrote: »

You still have to have insurance for self build, so there's nothing to be saved there. ...I wouldn't work on an uninsured job - do you work in a job where you're not insured - say you fell down the office stairs ..? I doubt it. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Hi lads , thanks for all the replies, the original idea for this thread was to list prices for selfbuild. The addition of these prices can be used to compare to a builders price. If there is a loophole in the system i will more than likely take it, as i dont think i could afford a builder. I have sent my plans to a builder for a quote to compare. If the builder comes back the same or cheaper i will go with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

There is a wealth of Info in the prices thread at top of page.

There is conflicting info. Many self builders claim 90-100 euro per square foot is possible. It probably is for a very simple design, using a very basic finish and spec, with some free cheap and tax free labour. I am hoping to get to builders finish using direct labour for around 70 a square foot. Allowing an extra 20 a square foot means I have 40k to finish the house. Decent kitchen with appliances could eat 15, painting, tilling, flooring, built in wardrobes, blinds, curtains, furniture etc make that 40 k look very very small.

It seems likely that 150 a square foot should leave the house finished fully to a good standard inside and out.

If you think 60- 70 euro a square foot is possible then forget it and don't waste your time.

I suppose around 80 a square foot I am hoping is achievable. If a can't do it for that then I won't be building.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

With the new regs there is no chance. Hell with the old regs that's unlikely.

Would you not consider something 2000 sq feet or less? That is still a fair lump of a house

893bet wrote: »
    With the new regs there is no chance. Hell with the old regs that's unlikely.

Would you not consider something 2000 sq feet or less? That is still a fair lump of a house
    +1

I suppose around 80 a square foot I am hoping is achievable. If a can't do it for that then I won't be building.

What are your plans to comply with Part L and sustainable products?
    Have you got an Assigned Certifier that will allow self build yet?

What are your plans to comply with Part L and sustainable products?
    Have you got an Assigned Certifier that will allow self build yet?

Part L ?. Was thinking of solar panels for sustainable product. I have no Assigned Certifier yet. Any details for one in my area may be helpful.

Part L ?. Was thinking of solar panels for sustainable product. I have no Assigned Certifier yet. Any details for one in my area may be helpful.

This where you will hit the wall IMO.
    There are not Many AC's out there allowing self builds at the moment(I have only heard of one, and thats Rory above who posted on this thread). But that may change as we are expecting a releases from the DOE this month with regards to relaxing the self build area.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

This where you will hit the wall IMO.
    There are not Many AC's out there allowing self builds at the moment(I have only heard of one, and thats Rory above who posted on this thread). But that may change as we are expecting a releases from the DOE this month with regards to relaxing the self build area.

Its not up to me that you are allowed or not allowed to self build-All I do is supervise the build to ensure compliance with the regs-that's my role as the AC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement