Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New runners for natural running?

Options
  • 01-02-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I've searched through the history here and can't find too much, I'm in the market for a new pair of runners. I've been checking online and the more I look the more confused I am getting. Hopefully the good people here will be better than google...

I'm currently running between 5 & 8 km three to four times a week, usually at about 12 km/h and have run a few 10 k's without any issue. This year I decided to mix it up and go for the longer distances, so am training for a half marathon in March and the Dublin marathon later this year. So far it's all going grand.
    For the last two or so years I've run naturally and find it helps a lot as I have a bad knee from a childhood injury. I'm not sure if it's the style of running or that I just pay more attention but either way it works for me so I doubt theres any (K)need to debate my technique or style. For about 18 months I was using Vibram Five Fingers (ok, I'll take the abuse for wearing them!) and since last August have been using New Balance Minimus, both of which I have found to be pretty comfortable and done a good job.

However looking at the longer distance's I figure that I could do with a bit of padding the the sole.
    I've narrowed it down to three different pairs the Saucony Type A6 and Saucony Kinvara. Finally the Inov-8 F-Lite.

Looking at all three, I'm tempted by the Inov-8's as it's still a 0 heel to toe drop as the most similar to what I wear.

So can anyone advise, share their knowledge or throw a spanner in the works and suggest something else.
    Just on a side note, all the links are from Wiggle, but I'll more than likely buy in a bricks and mortar store if possible.

Comments

a6 for 1/2 marathon
    kinvara (or maybe fastwitch) for marathon

don't really know about the inov-8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The A6 is a racing flat and is designed to be as light and minimalist as possible. Because of that, they won't have much longevity. I only managed to get around 200 miles out of my last pair (A4). You should get proper mileage (500 miles) out of the Kinvara. They are a pretty well cushioned shoe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

fyi, TK Max have Brooks Pure connect 2 on sale for 39.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Thanks DubOnHoliday, I'll check them out. Which branch was it?
    I went around to Runways today, I work around the corner so it's the handiest to get to, the A6 looks more appealing with the thinner sole (it's more in line with what I have been using compared to the Kinvara). Unfortunately they didn't have them in stock but the guy offered to order them in for me, so I'm going to go with them.
    Maybe it was just "sales talk" but he said he used them himself and found them great, endorsement enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was in the Arklow tkmax. They had about 5 pairs so I guess they'll be in other branches too.

• Advertisement

Gillo wrote: »
    Thanks DubOnHoliday, I'll check them out. Which branch was it?
    I went around to Runways today, I work around the corner so it's the handiest to get to, the A6 looks more appealing with the thinner sole (it's more in line with what I have been using compared to the Kinvara). Unfortunately they didn't have them in stock but the guy offered to order them in for me, so I'm going to go with them.
    Maybe it was just "sales talk" but he said he used them himself and found them great, endorsement enough for me!

yes but keep what the other poster said about durability. the A6 might be good for a race but if the cushion is going to die in 200 miles it's not a great option as a training shoe as you'd go through them quickly if you doing high or even medium mileage. Most people would have a racing shoe and a training shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Gillo wrote: »
    I've searched through the history here and can't find too much, I'm in the market for a new pair of runners. I've been checking online and the more I look the more confused I am getting. Hopefully the good people here will be better than google...

I'm currently running between 5 & 8 km three to four times a week, usually at about 12 km/h and have run a few 10 k's without any issue. This year I decided to mix it up and go for the longer distances, so am training for a half marathon in March and the Dublin marathon later this year. So far it's all going grand.
    For the last two or so years I've run naturally and find it helps a lot as I have a bad knee from a childhood injury. I'm not sure if it's the style of running or that I just pay more attention but either way it works for me so I doubt theres any (K)need to debate my technique or style. For about 18 months I was using Vibram Five Fingers (ok, I'll take the abuse for wearing them!) and since last August have been using New Balance Minimus, both of which I have found to be pretty comfortable and done a good job.

However looking at the longer distance's I figure that I could do with a bit of padding the the sole.
    I've narrowed it down to three different pairs the Saucony Type A6 and Saucony Kinvara. Finally the Inov-8 F-Lite.

Looking at all three, I'm tempted by the Inov-8's as it's still a 0 heel to toe drop as the most similar to what I wear.

So can anyone advise, share their knowledge or throw a spanner in the works and suggest something else.
    Just on a side note, all the links are from Wiggle, but I'll more than likely buy in a bricks and mortar store if possible.

Nike free 5.0 for training Free 3.0 for racing.
    If you are use to minimum cushion you shouldn't have any problems with them.

Advertisement