Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-selling property website users

• 01-02-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, a family member is interested in self-selling her property and I'm wondering if any of you who have been house-hunting at some point decided to use the self-sell websites for your property searches. I'm not sure that they get much traffic, or if it would be worth her while trying to get potential buyers herself rather than through an estate agent.
    I've been on a property search in Limerick for several months, and frankly am not overly impressed with the service I've encountered on the part of the estate agents. But I'm aware that the agents and their websites are the first ports of call for potential house buyers, myself included.
    I do think that self-selling property would reduce the number of viewers who are not serious about actually purchasing a piece of property. And it would obviously save on other fees, and be more convenient for the seller in terms of scheduling viewings based on times that suited them, rather than times that suited the estate agent.
    Anyone have views on or previous experience with self-selling property?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭Villa05

Daft.ie is the first port of call for anyone buying a house in the mid west I rarely go to individual estate agent sites

Put an ad on Daft and manage the sale yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Op, Regarding your own plight ie looking for a property in Limerick, have you considered a personal mail drop in your chosen area , avenue?:)

Traditionally the market starts warming up in Spring, so why not make contact with potential sellers before they start the selling process through an agent.??:)

Obviously you want to be in ahead of the pack, houses in some areas don't come on the market too often.

I recall a property being sold before the agent got time to advertise it , let alone put a For Sale sign on the property.:):)

It may also be worth your while visiting the Estate Agents in the area, tell them what you are looking for, exchange details etc. It would then be worth calling them on the phone every week. It you are a client without a property to sell or mortgage to arrange, you will be even higher on the Agents List !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lunarlow

I appreciate the advice, thanks.
    I was under the impression (mistaken, apparently!) that private sellers could not advertise on daft. I had a quick online search there and it looks as though that this clause relates to a different property website instead.
    I wonder why more private sellers don't use this option! I've been using daft daily for the last 8 months and have never seen a private sale ad for the Limerick area. The family member who wants to sell would likely only make a 5-figure sum on the house. While she has had it appraised by an agency or two, it's clear that they would not be overly interested in managing a sale that would result in such a low level of commission. So if a mainstream property website will handle private sale ads I think this might be the way to go.
    In terms of my own property search ... no, we don't have a property to sell and have mortgage approval ... and every estate agent in Limerick knows me well at this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Lunarlow wrote: »
    I appreciate the advice, thanks.
    I was under the impression (mistaken, apparently!) that private sellers could not advertise on daft. I had a quick online search there and it looks as though that this clause relates to a different property website instead.
    I wonder why more private sellers don't use this option! I've been using daft daily for the last 8 months and have never seen a private sale ad for the Limerick area. The family member who wants to sell would likely only make a 5-figure sum on the house. While she has had it appraised by an agency or two, it's clear that they would not be overly interested in managing a sale that would result in such a low level of commission. So if a mainstream property website will handle private sale ads I think this might be the way to go.
    In terms of my own property search ... no, we don't have a property to sell and have mortgage approval ... and every estate agent in Limerick knows me well at this point!

Best wishes with the sale.

Also best wishes with your planned purchase. Keep after those agents! Consider also some of the smaller agents. Sometimes due to family connections a sale may be handled by one of the less well known agents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭tara m

when i was househunting here I got the best results from self sellers - i found agents very trying, was relocating here from UK ans none would take you seriously until you were on the doorstep with a bankers draft in your hand. Bought direct from sellers, had it wrapped up and moved in eight weeks with no interference from agents etc! worked great for us, will do it ourselves when we sell as if there is a sniff of interest Id want to follow it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement