Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Selling Advice : Remove Factory Restriction or Just Sell

• 01-02-2015 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

Looking for your input folks.

I'm considering selling my V-Strom 650. Lovely bike, completely in love with it but I think I'll have to let it go.

It is factory restricted to 25kwh. So it's good to go as an A2 bike. Without the restrictor it's an A but it's not eligible to do the A test. From what I read, it's about e350 to replace the ECU as restrictor.

Just looking for some opinion on whether I should I bother taking the restrictor off and then selling? My thinking is there's a bigger market for it without the restriction. It's top end where the power cuts so it's rare that it makes a difference to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Seanie_H wrote: »

I'm considering selling my V-Strom 650. Lovely bike, completely in love with it but I think I'll have to let it go.

It is factory restricted to 25kwh. So it's good to go as an A2 bike. Without the restrictor it's an A but it's not eligible to do the A test. From what I read, it's about e350 to replace the ECU as restrictor.

Just looking for some opinion on whether I should I bother taking the restrictor off and then selling? My thinking is there's a bigger market for it without the restriction. It's top end where the power cuts so it's rare that it makes a difference to be honest.

These days, most people doing a test will get a full A unrestricted, I'd say. I wouldn't buy a restricted bike...if I wanted a 25kwh, I'd buy a 250CC.

Would you consider removing it yourself? Most of those kits are easy-ish to remove.

They can be:

a) washers in rubber inlets between the carbs and the engine (works by restricting air & fuel flow to the engine), this is the most common. It costs so much to remove because there's a fair few bits of crap to take off, but nothing too difficult.

b) throttle restrictor, basically limits how far back you can turn your throttle...again, fairy easy to remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have a Vstrom 650, where have seen that it is not eligible for A test? to my knowledge it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rat_race wrote: »

a) washers in rubber inlets between the carbs and the engine (works by restricting air & fuel flow to the engine), this is the most common. It costs so much to remove because there's a fair few bits of crap to take off, but nothing too difficult.

b) throttle restrictor, basically limits how far back you can turn your throttle...again, fairy easy to remove.
    I think from the OP's post its actually a restricted ECU not a mechanical restrictor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

listermint wrote: »
    I have a Vstrom 650, where have seen that it is not eligible for A test? to my knowledge it is.

It is not suitable for a category 'A' test, less than 50kw of power.

Suitable for 'A2' if restricted.

Should be worth more & sell faster as a factory restricted bike as most learners on an 'A2' permit find it hard to get insured on a 600/650 with an aftermarket restrictor. They would get insured on a factory restricted bike no problem.

• Advertisement

Roadcraft wrote: »
    It is not suitable for a category 'A' test, less than 50kw of power.

Suitable for 'A2' if restricted.

This is still incredibly muddy tbh. I have Direct Access A permit and completed the IBT for same, this has to be done on an "unrestricted motorcycle with an minimum engine size of 595cc and 40kw power"

The particulars of power to weight is all kinda muddy for A License test, its hard to know how you can do Module 5 of IBT on a vehicle matching above specs and then those specs go out the window for the test ?

Does anyone have sure fire answers or has anyone completed their test on a Vstrom DL650 ? (A license test)
    Links to documentation would be great. (ive looked)

sorry to hijack the thread OP but it appeared relevant too.

Only bits i can find are here
    http://www.magireland.org/2012/campaigns/training/rsa-responds-on-bike-license-queries/
    Q5. I have my A learner permit and will be 24 in February. So it will be better for me to wait until next year and to an unrestricted test. However to do a full A you must do it on a bike of 40kw and my license only permits 25kw. So how do I get to take my test on this license?

With an A learner permit (issued before 19 January 2013) you will qualify for an A2 licence by passing the test after 19 January 2013. If you want direct access after February 2013 – when you are 24 – you will have to take out a new category A learner permit, do the new IBT progression module, pass the driving test and you can then drive unrestricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

This is still incredibly muddy tbh. I have Direct Access A permit and completed the IBT for same, this has to be done on an "unrestricted motorcycle with an minimum engine size of 595cc and 40kw power"

The particulars of power to weight is all kinda muddy for A License test, its hard to know how you can do Module 5 of IBT on a vehicle matching above specs and then those specs go out the window for the test ?

Does anyone have sure fire answers or has anyone completed their test on a Vstrom DL650 ? (A license test)

http://www.magireland.org/2012/campaigns/training/rsa-responds-on-bike-license-queries/

=========================================
    FACT : V/strom 650 is not eligible for the cat A test.
    it is ok for A2 test if restricted to 35kw or below

http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Driving-Test-Vehicles---Motorcycles/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I'll dig this out for you later - can't find it via the phone. Agreed, clear as mud. That list of eligible vs. not permitted is derived from a ratio and if I recall correctly, vstrom 650 is outside qualification.

The spec for category 'A' is minium 50kw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Yea its not either or its 'and'.

So over 595cc AND minimum 50kwh.

Went up from 40kwh from 2013 i believe.

• Advertisement

Roadcraft wrote: »
    The spec for category 'A' is minium 50kw

oh joy! 1kw under. clear as mud is right.

cheers lads.

This puts my test in the pot now, bloody bike rental on a bike i dont know.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Yea its not either or its 'and'.

So over 595cc AND minimum 50kwh.

Went up from 40kwh from 2013 i believe.

Correct, & minium weight 175kgs

oh joy! 1kw under. clear as mud is right.

cheers lads.

This puts my test in the pot now, bloody bike rental on a bike i dont know.

ISM are e150 (2 hr hire) + e50 (1 hr pretest).

Very expensive

rat_race wrote:
    Would you consider removing it yourself? Most of those kits are easy-ish to remove.

I'd consider it but a lot of what I'm reading is telling me to snip a wire on the ecu or replace the ecu. I dont think it's a physical restriction. I'll have a gander to see what I can spot.

Advertisement