Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando/New York

Options
  • 01-02-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Hoping some folk can help me - looking to travel to the states sometime between Oct and Dec (approx. 18 days). New York needs to be one of the places that we are going to, thefore I have been looking at other destinations - which are basically Boston, Montreal, or Orlando.

Orlando appeals to me a bit more, but a few questions.

Hurricane season - would this be a big issue if we sent Late October/November?
    Weather wise i'm sure it's still going to be quite hot?

There is obviously a lot to do in Orlando with all the theme parks, how many days do you think one would need in Orlando to experience it all, considering i'm going for 18 days, i reckon 5/6 nights in NY, but would i need the rest in Orlando?

Would you recommend a car in Orlando or is public transport good?

Anyone got any links to good sites, information etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

orlando is inland so the chances of a direct hit from a hurricane are low, its also unusual for a major storm in late october/november and even though sandy was late october normally storms that time of year shouldn't be an issue.

weather in late october/november in florida is nice. i wouldn't describe it as "hot", upper teens, low 20s.

there are 7 major parks in orlando, you need a full day to see each of those particular parks, disney had 4 theme parks universal has 2 parks and there is also seaworld. on top of that you have numerous water parks and attractions like wet and wild, gatorland, legoland, discovery cove etc so you will find plenty of things to do over the course of 7-10 days there

public transport is fine but slow depending on where you base yourself but if renting a car is an option then pick that. orlando is a mass sprawl and the distances between places e.g disney and universal is quite large

basing yourself on or near i-drive is probably the best option, plenty of top hotels and decent restaurants in that area, plenty of info on i-drive here http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I'd agree with the previous poster that i-drive is a good spot to stay in. Everything you need is nearby.
    Wouldn't spend all my time in Orlando though. Maybe try to take in Tampa or Palm Beach. Both are only about 80 odd miles away and a car for a few days wouldn't cost much. In fact, I'd rent a car for the entire time in Florida as public transport to parks will take forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 glassdaisies

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Hoping some folk can help me - looking to travel to the states sometime between Oct and Dec (approx. 18 days). New York needs to be one of the places that we are going to, thefore I have been looking at other destinations - which are basically Boston, Montreal, or Orlando.

Orlando appeals to me a bit more, but a few questions.

Hurricane season - would this be a big issue if we sent Late October/November?
    Weather wise i'm sure it's still going to be quite hot?

There is obviously a lot to do in Orlando with all the theme parks, how many days do you think one would need in Orlando to experience it all, considering i'm going for 18 days, i reckon 5/6 nights in NY, but would i need the rest in Orlando?

Would you recommend a car in Orlando or is public transport good?

Anyone got any links to good sites, information etc.

Thanks

First off, just keep in mind NYC is a good 2.5-3 hour flight from Orlando.

Meh, hurricane season is a toss up. Most storms will come in August or september, but there have been some as late as the end of November. Make sure you have travel insurance

It's hard to say how many days you'd need, but DEFINTIELY plan a rest/pool day. The theme parks are exhausting. What do you want to see? Disney has 4 theme parks and two water parks, plus 30+ hotels. Then there's universal's 2 parks and seaworld, and Kennedy space center an hour away. Plus the beaches on either coast, about an hour to the atlantic, and 1.5-2 hrs to the gulf coast.

DEFINITELY rent a care. Public transport here in Orlando is an absolute joke. I usually go through Alamo or Enterprise if I need to rent one locally.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! I'm happy to help.

Advertisement