Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logging in with Twitter

Options
  • 01-02-2015 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Is this supposed to be a proper way to log into the site or is it just like aimed at new users with them supposed to create proper login details at some stage ?

Because I use Twitter to log in and its pretty inconvenient. I get logged out quit a bit, when it happens while writing a post you have to log back in using twitter, wait for redirection, get a blank page, hit backspace until you find the post and then resubmit. A couple of times I couldn't get back to the post. When browsing and you get logged out you have to click login, twitter, sign in and wait for redirection.

On mobile it always gives an error the first time you log in so you have to login twice, plus on mobile I have to type in the name and password.

It doesn't take ages or anything but it happens so much that it all adds up to a lot of time spent logging in. Add in the fact I can't edit posts on Chrome or IE as a new account (to do so involves changing browsers/device) until I've built up 50 posts and its tough work to be involved in any type of a discussion going on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sh3m

Is it possible to log into boards directly after signing up through twitter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yes, of course. You'll need to set a password you can remember rather than making use of Twitter's OAuth. If you go here and set a password, you can use that.

The behaviours you're describing in the first post sound like errors, that's definitely not how it's intended to work. I'll kick it up the priorities list and see if we can get some answers for it this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Sh3m wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be a proper way to log into the site or is it just like aimed at new users with them supposed to create proper login details at some stage ?

Because I use Twitter to log in and its pretty inconvenient. I get logged out quit a bit, when it happens while writing a post you have to log back in using twitter, wait for redirection, get a blank page, hit backspace until you find the post and then resubmit. A couple of times I couldn't get back to the post. When browsing and you get logged out you have to click login, twitter, sign in and wait for redirection.

On mobile it always gives an error the first time you log in so you have to login twice, plus on mobile I have to type in the name and password.

It doesn't take ages or anything but it happens so much that it all adds up to a lot of time spent logging in. Add in the fact I can't edit posts on Chrome or IE as a new account (to do so involves changing browsers/device) until I've built up 50 posts and its tough work to be involved in any type of a discussion going on.

Just to add to this,I'm having the exact same issues logging in with Google
    It usually takes 2 attempts
    After 5 or certainly 10 mins you're logged out,so copying your reply before posting it is a must because you could find if you pause and it's more than 5 mins before you post,you'll lose all you've typed because it will have logged you out
    So yeah there's something wrong here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Sh3m

Also that link to the password reset requests a current password before you can set a new one. As I don't have one I'm not sure what to put in, it doesn't accept my twitter password or being left blank. Was there a random one generated when I signed up through twitter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Sh3m wrote: »
    Also that link to the password reset requests a current password before you can set a new one. As I don't have one I'm not sure what to put in, it doesn't accept my twitter password or being left blank. Was there a random one generated when I signed up through twitter ?

Just use the forgot password link on the log in page and just enter your username and change your password via the email sent to you
    You can then log in as normal eliminating the problems in your Op as you're no longer logging in via twitter

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement