Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jobseekers benefit questions

• 01-02-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Last year, after a period of 15 months looking for a job, my wife applied to the social welfare for jobseekers benefit. It was more to do with the advantage of getting access to courses and further education rather than about any kind of monetary reason. But because I had a full.ti.e job, they told her that she was not entitled to any benefit at this time. I should also point out that my wife is from Poland and apart from a few part time jobs, she has not had a full time job in Ireland since arriving to live here over 3 years ago.

Our situation has now changing in that I am only working 20 hours a week and we would like to re-apply for the benefit, but from previous discussions with social welfare, they gave the impression that we would be expected to spend our savings before any help was forthcoming.

As I mentioned before, she would like this benefit more for the access to courses and further education than anything else. We were told that if she is not getting the benefit, she cant get prioritised on any FAS sponsered course.

Is there any reason she should not be allowed to claim the benefit? Looking for help as I would like to know as much info before we go for a new appointment. I am clueless about all this as I have never had to claim myself. Any advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

It seems from what you have posted that your wife doesnt have any entltlement to jobseekers benefit but did apply for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment and was found to be means in excess due to your earnings. Your circumstances have now changed and your wife can re-apply for jsa and be means tested. If you have any captital over €20,000 then that is also assessed as is any property you may have other than your principal residence. Any earnings you have will be assessed against your wifes claim. Just a quick question could you not have paid for a course for your wife? Its not the Departments job to provide education to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

eastbono wrote: »
    It seems from what you have posted that your wife doesnt have any entltlement to jobseekers benefit but did apply for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment and was found to be means in excess due to your earnings. Your circumstances have now changed and your wife can re-apply for jsa and be means tested. If you have any captital over €20,000 then that is also assessed as is any property you may have other than your principal residence. Any earnings you have will be assessed against your wifes claim. Just a quick question could you not have paid for a course for your wife? Its not the Departments job to provide education to anyone.

I have sourced courses for her but they are quite expensive. We are burning through our saving right now. I am not looking to get a free ride, more trying to accept any help that the state is wiling to provide. If this is not possible then we will be forced to move location which will have a large impact on my ability to support us both. Like I said before neither of us have ever taken a penny from this state and we would both like to keep it that way. We are simply looking for assistence in trying to find her stable employment, but it seems that FAS only want to help people getting social.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If your hours and earnings have reduced considerably then its possible that she may qualify for jobseekers allowance. If she does qualify then she can apply for courses through FAS. Again if your capital is less than €20,000 then this will not be assessed against here claim. I dont know who told you that you would have to use up all your savings but that is incorrect.

Advertisement