Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Transhumanist Wager

• 01-02-2015 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Anyone read The Transhumanist Wager by Zoltan Istvan?

If so what did you think?

To be honest I think Transhumanism is an interesting idea but the book was a little too simplistic in a lot of areas for my liking.
    Huge ship on a beach in Africa, Hacking all the worlds Nukes, defeating all the naval vessels on the planet....

I would be interested in reading similar if anyone has recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hannu Rajaniemi's "Jean Le Flambeur" trilogy deals in transhumanism and is a damn good read. A lot of different "types" of human evolution have taken place in its future and their various facets (collective gestalts, split minds, etc) all fit very nicely into the overall story.

Greg Egan's work ties a lot into this too, in both his short fiction and novels. For example "Permutation City" dives into the idea of multiple copies of oneself (and further) and there's similar themes in "Schild's Ladder". "Diaspora" however is the real transhumanism novel that he's written and definitely what you're looking for - a far future with three different branches of human society who have evolved in very different manners. Well worth a look.

Advertisement