Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert history

• 01-02-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I need to get atleast C1 in higher level history but finding it very difficult any tips ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

We can't say anything will come up for definite. There was a bit of a fiasco last year with the whole country thinking it was "100% the treaty" and then it was Belfast. I'd be weary, there's only 3 case studies, it's not too difficult to learn them all (maybe less focus on Belfast) and be 100% covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

really 6 pages for the bus boycott? i could never do the lenght youre suggesting on them topics. ill see how the mocks go!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sunshinejo

Funny as this sounds I said the same thing but sat down for an hour organising the structure of the Montgomery boy buscott but what helped lenghthen it for me was that I gave a background on martin Luther king for example( he thriving in school so much he finished at the age of 15 & he was inspired by mahtami ghandi which is reflected greatly on his work by trying to achieve things in a non violent matter etc) give about half a page of background and make sure you finish off the background by answering the question given then talk about how he achieved victory in the Montgomery boy buscott and explain what happened , talk about other topics of civil rights that he participated in such as the lunchtime protest( black teenagers eating lunch at white area) Go into detail about events that took place , don't be afraid to mention people that helped him along the way such as e.d Nixon who was in talks with him about Montgomery boy buscott , talk about the protest march and how president JFK said "are we to say this is the land of the free except for negros" and also mention his famous speech "I have a dream" the question may say Montgomery boy buscott but it does come under the topic of racial segregation and so do the others I've mentioned there believe me when you plan what your going to write and put pen to paper it'll be g !!! I hope this helped as I did my mock this morning and was freaking out last night studying so I can only imagine how your feeling! Let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Got a B1 in LC history. 4 - 5 pages per essay, 40 minutes per essay question. Practice the exam questions and TIME yourself. Timing is key in that exam.

Do not rely on just predictions (for history or any other subject - especially English poetry!!) There's a fiasco every bloody year with them.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement

sunshinejo wrote: »
    Funny as this sounds I said the same thing but sat down for an hour organising the structure of the Montgomery boy buscott but what helped lenghthen it for me was that I gave a background on martin Luther king for example( he thriving in school so much he finished at the age of 15 & he was inspired by mahtami ghandi which is reflected greatly on his work by trying to achieve things in a non violent matter etc) give about half a page of background and make sure you finish off the background by answering the question given then talk about how he achieved victory in the Montgomery boy buscott and explain what happened , talk about other topics of civil rights that he participated in such as the lunchtime protest( black teenagers eating lunch at white area) Go into detail about events that took place , don't be afraid to mention people that helped him along the way such as e.d Nixon who was in talks with him about Montgomery boy buscott , talk about the protest march and how president JFK said "are we to say this is the land of the free except for negros" and also mention his famous speech "I have a dream" the question may say Montgomery boy buscott but it does come under the topic of racial segregation and so do the others I've mentioned there believe me when you plan what your going to write and put pen to paper it'll be g !!! I hope this helped as I did my mock this morning and was freaking out last night studying so I can only imagine how your feeling! Let me know how you get on!

thanks for that. i never realised they expect you to write so much. i was gonna aim for 1.5 pages or so. never thought to plan out my essays either.

im really going to need to learn how to structure my essays etc as i never even contemplated writing as much or going into as much detail as you. said that, i aint aiming for A's as i know im not able.

it may or may not benefit, but im about to watch "selma" some new movie about all of this.
    i cant for the life of me find a single documentary on the jarrow marches(teacher said it will show up in the mocks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

MarkY91 wrote: »
    thanks for that. i never realised they expect you to write so much. i was gonna aim for 1.5 pages or so. never thought to plan out my essays either.

im really going to need to learn how to structure my essays etc as i never even contemplated writing as much or going into as much detail as you. said that, i aint aiming for A's as i know im not able.

Your essays should be minimum eight paragraphs - including a proper introduction and conclusion (learn how to do these). Eight good paragraphs is fine, but the more you write, the more marks they can give you. Again, timing is key. Once your time is up, move on. There are a maximum number of marks you can get per question, so one 12 page amazing answer and one half-page answer is not a good way to be!

Look at the marking scheme. Ask your teacher (nicely :P) to mark your practice essays.

Oh good god, the things you remember. I did the LC six years ago!!

Your essays should be minimum eight paragraphs - including a proper introduction and conclusion (learn how to do these). Eight good paragraphs is fine, but the more you write, the more marks they can give you. Again, timing is key. Once your time is up, move on. There are a maximum number of marks you can get per question, so one 12 page amazing answer and one half-page answer is not a good way to be!

Look at the marking scheme. Ask your teacher (nicely :P) to mark your practice essays.

Oh good god, the things you remember. I did the LC six years ago!!

ill definetly learn how to do them properly as you said. i like how my history teacher said to use the mocks merely as a time keeping exercise. she also mentioned similar to your 12 page amazing answer part

I'm the same being honest she even recommended me to do ordinary level cause I write so little. Not a fear of me dropping !! Just learn to structure and expand on your essays and you'll be fine :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

the more you write, the more marks they can give you.

That very much depends on what you write. Six pages of dung is six pages of dung and will be marked accordingly. Six pages of fantastic stuff will get the same marks as three pages of fantastic stuff, if there are enough SRPs in both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i cant for the life of me find a single documentary on the jarrow marches(teacher said it will show up in the mocks)

Radio documentary on Jarrow March.

BBC History - the Jarrow March

Woman's Hour on 'Red Ellen (Wilkinson)'

Advertisement