Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiio E06 or E11k or something else?

• 01-02-2015 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Evening everybody.

I was given a set of Sony MDR 1R at Christmas, and while I love the sound, they're slightly lacking in bass. Now I'm not looking for blow my head off bass, just a little more presence. I have been trying around with adding dynamat to the earcups as I've seen in head-fi, but I don't think that will do what I'm looking for. So I'm now thinking an amp may help.

Initially thought of the Fiio E06, but that's getting mixed reviews. And re E11K can be got for half price on amazon at the minute.

Anybody have experience of either/ both of these, and what we're your impressions? Or would anybody have any other suggestions?

All thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

I can't comment on the 06 as I've never had it. The first amp I bought was the old version of the E11, which is still going strong. Initally I had it teamed up with an old IPod, but it's now being used with the Fiio X1.. it's a good stepping stone into headphone amps, and would meet your requirements.

Now in terms of what to buy, this kinds comes down to preference/budget etc.. if you're planning to team the E11 up to your phone, then it's a good investment. However, if you're planning down the line to buy a DAP, then I'd probably go for the E12, which is superior.

Within the same price range as the E11 is the Topping NX1, which has some decent reviews and can be bought on Amazon.

Finally just to mention if you go down the Fiio route, HifiHut based in Dublin are really good to deal with.

cheers
    Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Thanks lads. Ordered the E11k off amazon. I'll be pairing it with my phone for the time being, and looking at reviews across the board it seemed like the better option, for not much more of an outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

So I've had the Fiio about a week now, and the difference is remarkable.

The bass boost is fairly subtle on most types of music, but with some tracks, the bass can become slightly muddy. Simple solution, turn off the boost on that track.

It has improved (well to my ears anyway) the sound quality. And surprisingly, seems to have widened the sound stage a bit as well. Was not expecting the last bit.

And needless to say, the increase in volume is amazing.

Could not recommend this enough. Fantastic piece of kit.

Advertisement