Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Shepherds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

roundymac wrote: »
    http://gcaptain.com/sea-shepherd-heads-damen-winning-jackpot/
    Looks like they are going to have a new ship. I thought the japs had packed it in or is only for the season?

only whaling has ceased, still plenty of illegal fishing happening.
    It's been a big deal here in NZ recently with the HMNZS Wellington having to backdown from a confrontation with illegal ships catching toothfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Looks like they are going to have a new ship. I thought the japs had packed it in or is only for the season?

Only recently read the article about them ramming the bunker barge. I'd have loved it had they caused a spill and all ended up in the jail. ****ing idiots have no idea they could have killed everyone on the ship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

only whaling has ceased, still plenty of illegal fishing happening.
    It's been a big deal here in NZ recently with the HMNZS Wellington having to backdown from a confrontation with illegal ships catching toothfish
    Why did the navy backdown, is it not their job to confront them if they are fishing illegally?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Japanese have only stepped down for this year and claim they will be back next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That ship doesn't look suitable for the Southern Ocean.
    Probably go the same way as the Ady Gil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

CJhaughey wrote: »
    That ship doesn't look suitable for the Southern Ocean.
    Probably go the same way as the Ady Gil.

Custom built to their specs unlike previous vessels which were donated for want of a better word and none specifically built for anti whaling unlike the one posted

Why did the navy backdown, is it not their job to confront them if they are fishing illegally?

If you believe the Navy it was because they had enough info and evidence to follow up without impound and were running short of fuel so needed to pull out rather than hang around.
    If you believe several politicians and the general feeling in NZ it's because the government is gutless and wouldn't condone their seizure or sinking.

Seemingly the ship they tried to boards has had a dozen registries in the last 10 years and is pretty untraceable, several commentators on the issue believe it's already had ownership & registry transferred again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Gatling wrote: »
    Custom built to their specs unlike previous vessels which were donated for want of a better word and none specifically built for anti whaling unlike the one posted

It may be fitted out to their needs, but it's a standard design ship and was never intended for high latitude operations. I wonder if they will at least strengthen the hull for working in the ice-pack.

That same shipyard also build a range of offshore safety boats, which look ideal when compared to the design SS chose. It's like buying a hot-hatch to work on a hill farm...

930-FF37856.jpg?id=10563&vlag=en&bestandID=930

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

They couldn't be picking a sensible design like the above, they've standards to maintain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Meanwhile, stuff like this is going on unhindered elsewhere

https://www.facebook.com/TheSkipperOnline/posts/850057911733923:0

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »

I'd like to think that'd actually make a difference but somehow I doubt it.

The only way to deal with ship like this is to board them, arrest all the crew and then sink them, just like Indonesia have started doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

I'd like to think that'd actually make a difference but somehow I doubt it.

The only way to deal with ship like this is to board them, arrest all the crew and then sink them, just like Indonesia have started doing.

Good on them. That's why navies exist to protect legitimate trade from piracy isn't it? Unfortunately same navies are often controlled by politicians who are as often bent as coat hangers!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tabnabs wrote: »

Reading the description, the Waterworld "Smokers Ship" comes to mind!

It wasn't that long ago that Ireland boasted the largest fishing vessel in the world.
    Now we seem to be happy enough to just have them fish off our Coast unhindered.
    Its all down to corruption and political will and courage.
    Unfortunately there is plenty of the former and very much less of the latter.

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Mr Barbie

Is there a new series soon ?

I don't think so, given all the legalistic stuff after the last series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Mr Barbie wrote: »
    Is there a new series soon ?

Latest series was on in one night as a 3hr special.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

I believe the ship is being built in the same shipyard as the Celtic Explorer was built.

Advertisement