Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best option for saving for that rainy day

Options
  • 01-02-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi There

I was wondering if anybody could help me with what is the best option for saving a small amount of money each month.

We want to put away €200 each month which will only be dedicated for emergencies (house repair, doctor, car )

Hopefully it will be a fund we wont have to be approaching too often.

We were thinking Credit Union but I'm skeptical (I don't know why, just pure ignorance on my part), Rabo Bank.

I don't want to have easy online access so I can avoid the urge to spend.

Could anybody recommend a good way to save this money each month ?

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bombesly

Hi Manutd99,
    I was looking at this possibility from Nationwide UK, check it out yourself but since you don't have a lump sum to put in strait away this is ok for a period of 15 months. Plus because it is for emergency it is important that you be able to take some out during the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anybody could help me with what is the best option for saving a small amount of money each month.

We want to put away €200 each month which will only be dedicated for emergencies (house repair, doctor, car )

2 suggestions.

(1) Nationwide UK (Ireland) who pay 4.00% AER variable with their regular saver product on €100 to €1,000 per month. The downside is the account matures after 15 months.

(2) KBC Regular Saver product which pays 3.50% AER variable on €100 to €1,000 per month.

Review rates frequently.
    We were thinking Credit Union but I'm skeptical (I don't know why, just pure ignorance on my part), Rabo Bank.

Most CU's will offer you a return much lower than the products aforementioned. Rabo do not offer a regular saver product, their instant access product pays just 1.50% AER variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

JTMan wrote: »
    2 suggestions.

(1) Nationwide UK (Ireland) who pay 4.00% AER variable with their regular saver product on €100 to €1,000 per month. The downside is the account matures after 15 months.

(2) KBC Regular Saver product which pays 3.50% AER variable on €100 to €1,000 per month.

Review rates frequently.

Most CU's will offer you a return much lower than the products aforementioned. Rabo do not offer a regular saver product, their instant access product pays just 1.50% AER variable.

Excuse my ignorence. What do you mean by when your account matures?

KBC sounds good. 3.5% is good return. We were getting I think 2% with Ulster Bank.

Is KBC is "safe bank"? I just bought a repossessed house from KBC Bank!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Excuse my ignorence. What do you mean by when your account matures?

The account expires on a fixed date, 15 months after account opening. You then need to find a new home for your deposit.
    Is KBC is "safe bank"? I just bought a repossessed house from KBC Bank!

KBC are a big bank. You will be fine with them.

Advertisement