Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library - Damaged Sleeve?

Options
  • 01-02-2015 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just seeing if anyone else has experience of this as I'm not sure what to do. I loaned out a book which had a paper sleeve, and it was worn a little when I got it, but I thought nothing of it. At some point last week, it must have snagged a little and there is a tear on the cover going up halfway through the front cover. The book itself is in perfect condition and it's easy to repair, but I'm probably not going to try in case I get in trouble. What'll happen when I bring it back? I am normally very careful with books and this is the first time this has happened so I'm a little nervous, I definitely don't want the library to have me on 'a list' or see me as irresponsible. Surely inevitable damage on the dust jacket won't warrant a purchase of a new book?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sellotape on the rear of the tear?

Is it a valuable old book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No, it's about £30 new and fairly standard. I was going to sellotape it, worried the librarian would notice I tried to fix it myself though - maybe I'm just being paranoid? I've always been good with my books!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

JE, bring the book to the library counter and explain what happened. It is unlikely you will be penalised in any way.

All libraries have to spend time repairing books that get damaged while on loan. Its really no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

trow it in the out of hours bin. No confrontation if your worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

No, don't do that. An apology will work much better.

If you use the drop box, a staff member will probably put a note on your record. Not a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I handed it back and got a simple "these things happen" suppose it might have been worse if I tried to be sneaky about it! Thanks everyone.

Advertisement